LENNON WYLIE
Home   -   8th Belfast HAA Regt.   -   Useful Links
WW1 & WW2 Memorial Pages
 

Guestbook
Old Guestbook

please donate
help keep the site free to use

 
WWW http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk

1890 Belfast / Ulster Street Directory

STREET DIRECTORIES TRANSCRIBED
1805 - 1806 - 1807 - 1808 - 1819 - 1843 - 1852 - 1861 - 1868 - 1877 - 1880 - 1890 - 1894
1901 - 1907 - 1908 - 1909 - 1910 - 1912 - 1918 - 1924 - 1932 - 1939 - 1943 - 1947 - 1951 - 1960
1913 Tel. directory    1824 Pigots (Belfast)  &  (Bangor)   1894 Waterford Directory
1898 Newry Directory      Bangor Spectator Directory 1970

PROVINCIAL TOWNS
________________________________

(A)  (B)  (C)  (D)  this page (E G H K)  (L)  (M N)  (OPR)  (STW)

ENNISKILLEN    GILFORD  GLENARM    HILLSBOROUGH  HOLYWOOD
KEADY  KILKEEL  KILLYLEAGH

ENNISKILLEN

          Enniskillen, an inland town in County Fermanagh, ninety three miles W. by S. from Belfast, comprising an area of 129 acres. The town is situated on an island in the river connecting the upper and lower lakes of Lough Erne, and on the adjacent mainland on both sides, which communicate with each other by two bridges. There are a Parish Church, Presbyterian and Methodist Churches, and a Roman Catholic Chapel; the County Court House, Prison and Infirmary, a Town Hall, a Royal School, a Union Workhouse, and three Barracks. There is a market for corn, pork and butter, always well supplied. Fairs are held on the 10th of every month, on 26th May and 26th October; markets, Tuesday and Thursday. The Provincial, Ulster and Belfast Banks have branches here. There is also a Savings Bank. The Assizes for the county, and Quarter and Petty Sessions are held in the town. It is the head quarters of the constabulary for five stations. Three newspapers are published in the town. A Model School has been established over twenty years, with accommodation for upwards of 250 pupils. Population in 1881, 5,742.

Post Office, Church Street - W. T. Haines. Letters from the South, including Dublin, also England, arrive twice a day, at 4-30 a.m., and 11-30 a.m., and are despatched at 1-5 and 8-35 p.m. Letters from the North, including Belfast and Scotland, arrive at 4-30 a.m., 11-30 a.m., and 1-30 p.m., and are despatched at 6-0 a.m., 8-10 a.m., and 9-40 a.m. General despatch Scotch mail 1-5 p.m., 4-0 p.m., and 8-35 p.m.
Town Commissioners - Thos. Plunkett, M.R.I.A., chairman; H. R. Lindsay, J. W. Dane, Thomas Gordon, James Dundas, sen.; James Dundas, jun.; Wm. Coulter, Thomas Brennan, Fras. Little, Thomas Mulligan, John Lemon, James Roberts, James Maguire, J.P.; Patrick Crumley, William Carson, J.P.; Thomas Crowe, Thos. A. Mercer, Geo. B. White, Thos. R. J. Polson, Thos. Elliott, Jeremiah Jordan, M.P.
Town Clerk - Wm. Cleland
Distributor of Stamps - Sinclair Gunning
Crown Surveyor of Income Tax - J. E. Lewis
H.M. Prison, Fairview - T. Carleton, deputy governor; Mrs. Beacon, matron; Robert P. Walsh, M.D., surgeon; O. Ternan, apothecary; Rev. Charles T. Ovendon, B.D., Protestant chaplain; Rev. S. C. Mitchell, Presbyterian chaplain; Rev. Thomas Smullan, Roman Catholic chaplain.
Constabulary - Co. Inspector - Henry Butler Lynch. District Inspectors: Enniskillen - Ed. W. Bailey; Derrygonnelly - Geo. Plant; Kesh - P. Moore; Lisnaskea - George M. E. Dagg. Head Constable at Enniskillen - J. Stringer
Barracks - Infantry Barracks, Queen Street and Castle Street; Redout Barrack, Windmill Hill. Ordnance officer - Captain T. P. Battersby, R.A.; Commissary Officer - Lieut. George Lemon; Engineer Officer - Lieut. John Evans
Borough Surveyor & Executive Sanitary Officer, John Wray; Sub-sanitary Officer, W. Dundas
Traffic Manager, Great Northern Railway, H. Plews, Tonystick
Board of Works Inspector, F. E. Stanford Packenham, Ann Street, Enniskillen
Newspapers - Fermanagh Mail, 2d, every Monday and Thursday, T. R. J. Polson, proprietor; Fermanagh Times, 1d, every Thursday, Wm. Ritchie, proprietor; Impartial Reporter, 2d, every Thursday, Wm. Trimble, proprietor.
Dispensary, Head Street - Open Mondays and Thursdays, from 10 till 12 o'clock. Medical Officer, Dr. Baptist Gamble, Darling Street
Pork, corn and butter market, Market Lane
Her Majesty's Lieutenant of the County and Custos Rotulorum - The Right Hon. the Earl of Erne, K.P. (1885), Crom Castle, Newtownbutler; 12 St. George's Place, Hyde Park Corner, London, S.W.  Clubs - Carlton, White's, S.W.; Sackville Street Club, Dublin
High Sheriff (1889-90_ - Major Alexander W. Bailey, 13, Morehampton Road, Dublin; Kildare Street Club, Dublin
Members of Parliament for the County - North Division, William Hoey Kearney Redmond, (1886), 9 The Chase, Clapham, S.W.; South Division, Henry Campbell, Esq. (1886), 43 Upper Sackville Street, Dublin
Resident Magistrate - Malony, G. A., Willoughby Place, Enniskillen

County Officers

Clerk of the Crown and Peace - James W. Hanrahan (1880). Stephen's Green Club, Dublin; and Enniskillen
Assistant Clerk of the Crown and Peace - John J. Dolan, Sedan Terrace, Enniskillen
Crown Solicitor - James Riordan, (1881) 19 Eustace Street, Dublin; and Fermanagh
Sessional Crown Solicitor - Joseph Alexander (1886), 20 Upper Ormond Quay, Dublin; and Enniskillen
Registrar, County Court - R. C. Mason, 17 Morehampton Road, Dublin
Secretary to the Grand Jury - E. H. Archdale (1881), Dromard House, Kesh
County Surveyor - Fredk. T. Wilson, Prospect Hill, Enniskillen
Assistant Surveyors - Messrs. John Wray, Edwd. Wilson and J. Hoey
Sub-Sheriff - Luke P. Knight, Abbey Lodge, Maguiresbridge
Sheriff's Returning Officer - George Knight, 14 North Great George's Street, Dublin; and Clones
Coroners - Major Blaney Thomas Winslow, Mount Prospects, Derrylin; and Baptist Gamble, M.D., Enniskillen
Barony Cess Collectors - Clanawley, Jas. Willis, Moneen, Florence Court; Clankelly, James West, Drummuskey, Clones; Coole, Samuel Moore, Piper Hill; Knockninney, A. Johnston, Drumsheemuck, Derrylin; Lurg, Francis Johnston, Drumarkey, Lisnarick, Irvinestown, Magheraboy, Thomas A, Beatty, Derrygiff, Enniskillen; Magherastaphena, Jas. Foster, Drumbrochas, Lisnaskea; Tyrkennedy, R. P. Walsh, jun., Enniskillen
Stamp Distributors - Head distributor, Sinclair Gunning, Enniskillen; Lisnaskea, Francis McManus
County Infirmary, Enniskillen - Treasurer, Ulster Bank; surgeon, Robt. Pakenham Walsh, J.P., L.R.C.S.I., L.K.Q.C.P.I.; apothecary and hon. assistant surgeon, J. S. Gunning, L.R.C.S.I., L.R.C.P. Edin.; Registrar, M. C. Wilson
District Lunatic Asylum (1853) Omagh (For Counties Monaghan and Tyrone) - Board of Governors for Fermanagh (meet second Tuesday each month) - Earl of Erne, K.P.; Maurice Ceely Maude, J.P.; Wm. Humphreys Archdale, D.L.; Edwd. Smith, J.P.; Colonel John Gerald Irvine, D.L., John A. Pomeroy, J.P.; Rev. David Clements
Her Majesty's Prison, Enniskillen - Visiting Committee (meet first Monday in each month) - Colonel J. G. Irvine, Maurice C. Maude, J.P.; Thomas Teevan, J.P.; Edward Archdale, J.P.
Inspector of National Schools, Enniskillen - J. J. Murphy

Places of Worship

Church of Ireland - Parish Church, Church Street - Rev. Charles T. Ovendon, B.D., rector; Rev. Wm. Edward de Burgh, A.B., curate
Presbyterian Church, East Bridge Street - Rev. S. C. Mitchell
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Darling Street
Roman Catholic Chapel, Darling Street

Public Institutions

Banks - Belfast Bank, Townhall Street, William Williams, manager; Provincial Bank of Ireland, Darling Street, J. J. Lumhem, manager; Ulster Bank, R. T. Forde, manager; Savings Bank, Church Street, C. J. Jones, actuary
Royal School, Portora - Rev. Wm. Steele, D.D., head master; one of the most flourishing schools in Ireland
Enniskillen Reading Rooms (in the Town Hall) - Open every day (except Sunday) from 8 a.m. till 10 p.m. Fifty five newspapers and periodicals taken in. Subscription, 10s yearly; to subscribers, 5s. R. J. Moon, secretary
National Model Schools - Chas. Morris, master; J. J. Murphy, inspector
Church Education Society - Rev. Mr. Ringwood, Crom Newtownbutler; Ulster Bank, treasurers
National School, Forthill
Bible Society's Depository, East Bridge Street - Caretaker, John Irvine
Ladies' Seminary and Boarding School, High Street - Misses Bayly
Ladies' Private School, Anne Street - Misses Weaver
Freeman's Charitable Club, Townhall Street, for distributing loans to distressed tradesmen
Union Workhouse - (Cos. Fermanagh, Cavan, and Tyrone) - 42 electoral divisions. Board meets on Tuesdays - Lord Belmore, Castlecoote, Enniskillen, chairman; W. H. Archdall, D.L., Riverdale, Ballycassidy, vie-chairman; Thomas Plunkett, M.R.I.A., Enniskillen, deputy vice chairman; Thos. R. Gibson, assistant clerk; Thomas N. Gamble, master; John S. Gunning, surgeon; Rev. Charles T. Ovendon, B.D., Protestant chaplain; Rev. S. C. Mitchell, Presbyterian chaplain; Very Rev. Thomas Smullen, P.P., V.G., Catholic chaplain
Infirmary - Robert Pakenham Walsh, M.D., J.P., surgeon; Miss Morrison, matron; C. Wilson, registrar
Dispensary, Head Street - Open Mondays and Thursdays, from 10 to 12 o'clock. Medical officer, Dr. Baptist Gamble, Darling Street
Pork, corn and butter market, Market Lane

Inhabitants
(1)

Alexander, Joseph, Sessional Crown solicitor, 28 Townhall Street
Archdall, Henry Mervyn, D.L., Castle Archdall
Archdall, W. H., D.L., Riversdale, Ballycassidy
Archdall, E. M., J.P., Crocknacrieve, Ballinamallard
Armstrong, James, J.P., Farmhill, Clones
Arnold, Matthew, professor of music, and organist, Darling Street
Atthill, Edward, J.P., Ardvarney, Kesh
Barton, Captain, D.L., The Waterfoot, Pettigo
Battersby, Capt. T. Preston, R.A., Staff Officer, Castle Barracks, Enniskillen
Belmore, Earl of, K.C.M.G., Castle Coole
Bennison, J. J., J.P., Slieve-Russell, Ballyrussell
Betty, William, Cappagh
Bird, A. Guard, A.B., solicitor, East Bridge Street
Bloomfield, J. C., D.L., Castlecaldwell, Belleek
Bouchie-Hayes, S. E., A.B., M.B., Belmont Street
Bracken, James, Toam, Blacklion
Brooke, Sir V. L., Bart., D.L., Colebrook, Brookboro
Brooke, F. T., D.L., Ashbrooke, Brookeboro
Butler, Hon. H. C., D.L., Inishrath, Lsinaskea
Cole, Hon. H. A., D.L., Florence Court
Cole, Viscount, Florence Court, Enniskillen
Collum, Captain W., D.L., Bellevue, Tamlaght, Enniskillen
Crichton, Viscount, Crom Castle, Newtownbutler
Crichton, Lieut.-Colonel, the Hon. C. F., Crom Castle, Newtownbutler
Davis, W. J., Townhall Street
De Burgh, Rev. Wm., A.B., curate, Enniskillen
Dickson, T. W., J.P., Bundoran, Co. Donegal
Dundas, R. T., F.R.C.S.I., Darling Street
Elliott, Thomas, diocesan architect
Ely, Marquis of, Ely Lodge, and London
Enniskillen, Earl of, Florence Court
Evatt, S. R. B., J.P., Mount Lewes, Monaghan
Falls, Chas. F., solicitor, Townhall Street; Killyleagh House
Firth, Rev. J. B., J.P., The Cross, Enniskillen
Firth, J. A., J.P., Lawnakilla
Gamble, B., surgeon, Darling Street
Gamble, Baptist, J.P., Graan
Gledstenes, M., J.P., Fardross, Clogher
Graham, F. J., D.L., Drumgroon, Maguiresbridge
Gunning, J. S., physician, Darling Street
Hanrahan, J. W., Clerk of Crown and Peace, Alexandria Terrace, Enniskillen
Irvine, Colonel J. G., D.L., Killadeas
Irvine, E. E. R. A., solicitor, East Bridge Street
Jackson, K. S., J.P., Cara, Clones
Johnston, S., D.L., Snowhill, Lisbellaw
Jones, Charles John, Willoughby Place
Kidd, Leonard, A.B., M.B., Carlton House
Lanesborough, Rt. Hon. Earl of, Lanesborough Lodge, Belturbet
Lauder, Rev. M. W., A.M., Laudervale, Feenagh, Co. Leitrim
Leeper, G. R., J.P., M.B., Drumheen House, Kesh
Lendrum, G. C., D.L., Magheracross, Ballinamallard
Loftus, Lord Augustus, Ely Lodge and London
Loftus, Lord George, Ely Lodge and London
Loftus, Lord Henry, Ely Lodge and London
Macartney, J. W. E., D.L., The Palace, Clogher, Co. Tyrone
Madden, J., D.L., Rosslea Manor, Clones
Maude, Maurice, J.P., Lenaghan
Moloney, George A., R.M., Willoughby Place, Enniskillen
Montgomery, H. de F., D.L., Blessingbourne, Fivemiletown
Moran, Rev. Thomas, Methodist minister
Moran, Rev. John H., junior, Methodist minister
Mulhalson, Major George H., adjutant 3rd Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Silverhill House, Enniskillen
McCullagh, James, jun., J.P., Glasslough, Monaghan
McMeel, G., McDonald, F., and McGinty, F., Catholic curates
Nixon, J., J.P., Killyglasson House, Blacklion
Nixon, Rev. A. M., J.P., Knockballymore, Clones
Ovendon, Rev. Canon, B.D., rector, Chanterhill
O'Brien, J., L.R.C.S.I., High Street
Pomeroy, J. A., J.P., St. Angelo, Ballycassidy
Porter, T. S., J.P., Clogher Park, Clogher
Richardson, J., Q.C., J.P., Summerhill House, Clones
Simpson, Colonel, late R.E., Cappy House, Tamlaght, Lisbellaw
Smith, Alexander, A.B., solicitor, East Bridge Street
Smith, E., J.P., West Bridge House
St. George, Captain C., D.L., Emmyville, Co. Monaghan
Steel, Rev. Wm., D.D., Portora
Stubbs, H., J.P., Ballyshannon
Teevan, Surgeon-General, J.P.
Walsh, R. P., J.P., M.D.
Weaver, Joseph, surveyor, Darling Street
Whittaker, Rev. Gerald, Willloughby Place
Wilson, Rev. John, Derrybrusk
Wray, John, borough surveyor, High Street
Wray, John F., LL.B., solicitor, Belmore Street

Inhabitants
(2)

Beatty, Samuel, Wellington Place
Beatty, S., coach builder, Brook Street
Bell, William, druggist, Church Street
Boland, M., blacksmith, Brook Street
Boyd, Wm., hardware & grocery, High Street
Boyd, M., dress maker, Henry Street
Bradshaw, Hugh & Co., timber merchants, East Bridge Street
Bready, Mrs., general clothier
Brennan, Thomas, clothes broker, Townhall Street
Brown, P., publican, Townhall Street
Brownlees, J. J., baker and grocer, Belmore Street
Burgess, Bros., general merchants, Middletown Street
Campbell, E., boot and shoe maker, Strand Street
Campbell, Miss, confectioner & grocer, Darling Street
Carson, M. J. & R., milliners, Darling Street
Carson, J. L., com. traveller, Alexandria Terrace
Cassidy, Anthony, grocer and meal store, High Street
Chevey, G., agent to Messrs. J. Wallis & Sons, military carriers
Cleland, Wm., clerk to Town Commissioners, Darling Street
Colhoun, William, baker, Darling Street
Coll, Miss B. A., Royal Hotel, Townhall Street
Collins & Co., drapers, High Street
Collum, John, publican, Queen Street
Cooney, W. R., draper, High Street
Cooper & Co., grocers, Diamond
Competitive Stores, High Street
Corrigan, Wm., grocer, Forthill Street
Coudy, J., commercial traveller, Alexandria Terrace
Coulter, Robert, Victoria Terrace
Coulter, W., grocer and confectioner, Church Street
Cox, Thomas, Belmore Street
Cox, John J., boot and shoe maker, East Bridge Street
Coyle, B., boot and leather merchant, Darling Street
Crowden, G. F., photographer, Townhall Street
Crowe, Thomas, grocer, High Street
Crumley, P., victualler, Townhall Street
Darragh, George, baker, Church Street
Davis, W. J., newsagent, Townhall Street
Dawson, James, M.R.C.V.S., Old white Hart Hotel
Dewane, Charles, publican, 9 Darling Street
Dick, J. & R., gutta percha boot shop, Townhall Street
Dickson, J. W., druggist, Darling Street
Doherty, John, grocer, Anne Street
Doherty, Patrick, publican, Darling Street
Dolan, J. J., deputy clerk of Crown and Peace, Albert Terrace
Donnelly & Sons, butchers, High Street
Downes, W. & J., brewery, Anne Street
Duffy, Solomon, Belmore Street
Dundas, James, draper, Darling Street
Dundas, J. & T., drapers, Darling Street
Durnian, Patrick, boot and shoe maker, Queen Street
Elliott, John, builder, 2 Wellington Street
Freeburn, The Misses, East Bridge Street
Frith, J., carpenter, Tonystick
Frith, The Misses, bakers, Belmore Street
Frith, William, builder, Tonystick
Gallagher, Mrs. B. A., publican, Market Street
Galt, Messrs., factory, Henry Street
Gibson, R., boot and shoe maker
Gillen, Mrs., cabinet warehouse, Townhall Street
Gilmore, J., watch maker, Darling Street
Girvin, J., stone cutter and monumental trader, Forthill Street
Glenn, R., East Bridge Street
Goddard, J., hair dresser, Diamond
Gonigle, D., painter and glazier, Queen Street
Gordon, J., earthenware dealer, Townhall Street
Gordon, Thomas, grocer, Church Street
Green, T., baker and grocer, East Bridge Street
Harren, James, grocer and publican, Darling Street
Harvey, James, builder, Belmore Street
Harvey, James, marble & stone works, Forthill Street
Hempenstall, B., East Bridge Street
Henderson, H., boot & shoe dealer, East Bridge Street
Herbert, Richard, spirit merchant, Church Street
Hilliard, T. S., publican and grocer, Ann Street
Ingram, W., spirit dealer, Ann Street
Irvine, George, auctioneer, Darling Street
Irvine, J., bookseller, East Bridge Street
Irvine, Wm., boot and shoe shop, Darling Street
Irwin, Mrs., publican, Belmore Street
Johnston, John, draper, High Street
Johnston, R., earthenware merchant, High Street
Johnston, R., publican, Market Street
Johnston, Thomas & Co., merchants, High Street
Johnston, William, Eden Street
Johnston, William, Wellington Place
Johnston, Wm., tobacconist and confectioner, Forthill Street
Jordan, Jeremiah, merchant, High Street
Keenan, James, Down Street
Kenny, J., haberdasher, High Street
Kyle, Miss, spirit dealer, Darling Street
Latimer, J., grocer, Cross Street
Law, J., grocer and iron monger, High Street
Lemon, John, iron and coal merchant, East Bridge Street
Leonard, E., cabinet maker
Liddy, J. J., Temperance Hotel, East Bridge Street
Lilly, P., publican, Townhall Street
Lindsay, H. R., grocer and publican, Townhall Street
Lynn, William, baker, Paget Street
Lyons, P., grocer, East Bridge Street
Magee, Henry, publican, Church Street
Magee, John, publican, Townhall Street
Maguire, Denis, coach builder, Forthill Street
Maguire, Edward, coach builder, Brook Street
Maguire, J., draper, High Street
Maguire, P. & J., drapers, Church Street
Maguire, Richard, earthenware merchant, Henry Street
Martin, John, publican, Townhall Street
Martin, Patrick, commercial traveller, Ann Street
Martin, Samuel, com. traveller, Belmore Street
Maxwell, T., auctioneer and confectioner, Darling Street
Mayers, Joseph, grocer and baker, Church Street
Megaw, David, spirit dealer, High Street
Mercer, T. A., jeweller, Townhall Street
Monaghan, E., saddler, East Bridge Street
Moreton, Andrew, spirit dealer, Bridge Street
Morrison, W. T., baker and grocer, Church Street
Mulligan, T., publican, Fairview
Murphy, D., whitesmith, Brook Street
McBride, E., baker, Darling Street
McBrien & Co., drapers, Church Street
McElgunn, James, spirit dealer, Ann Street
McGinn, D., confectioner, High Street
McHenry, John, Belmore Street
McHugh, Mrs., grocer & publican, Townhall Street
McKeague, T., & Son, boot and shoe maker, Townhall Street
McKeigney, James, spirit merchant, Darling Street
McKenna, Joseph, spirit merchant, Townhall Street
McKnight, John, baker, Darling Street
McMurray, Daniel, auctioneer, Water Street
McNamee, Peter, Railway Hotel, Forthill Street
McNeill & Sons, spool mill, Mill Street
McReady, John, Townhall Street
Nelson, R., painter and glazier, New Row
Noble, John, boot and shoe maker, East Bridge Street
O'Brien, J., grocer and leather dealer, East Bridge Street
O'Reilly, Francis, publican, High Street
Parkinson, The Misses, plumbers, Townhall Street
Parsons, Robert, Brook Street
Pierce, Henry, slater, Eden Street
Plunket, Thomas, grocer and druggist, High Street
Polson, T. R. J., printer, publisher, insurance and ship agent, Wellington Place
Quinn, Mrs., publican, Queen Street
Quinton, John, grocer, Church Street
Rankin, T., cooper, Schoolhouse Lane
Rice, Edward, tobacconist, Darling Street
Richards, R. J., watch maker, Townhall Street
Richardson, John, & Co., drapers, High Street
Ritchie, Wm., proprietor Fermanagh Times, Townhall Street
Roberts, H. & R., drapers, Diamond
Shannon, Edward, Belmore Street
Shannon, John, publican, Belmore Street
Shannon, P., green grocer, Church Street
Sheffington, W., grocer and baker, Darling Street
Stewart, C. M., spirit merchant, East Bridge Street
Taylor, T., draper, Townhall Street
Teele, Wm., draper, Townhall Street
Ternan, O., apothecary, Townhall Street
The Scottish co-operative wholesale stores, Brooke Street
The Singer sewing machine depot, Townhall Street
Tickle, Joseph, plumber, East Bridge Street
Trimble, Wm. Copeland, book seller, printer, publisher, East Bridge Street
Uptan, James, com. traveller, Ely Place
Wadsworth, George, grocer, Brook Street
Weaver, Alfred, stationer, book seller and agent for Belfast News-Letter and Belfast Weekly News, Darling Street
Weaver, L. & A., fancy wool shop, Ann Street
Whaley, George, general grocer, High Street
White, G. B., stationer, Townhall Street
Whittaker, J., boot maker
Willis, Mrs., Imperial Hotel, Townhall Street
Wilson, Alex., publican and auctioneer, Brook Street
Wilson, Wm., boot and shoe maker, East Bridge Street
Wilson, The Misses, boot and shoe makers, East Bridge Street
Wylie, T. A., draper, High Street

______________________________________

GILFORD

          A market town, situated on the right bank of the River Bann, in the County Down, with extensive flax spinning and linen thread bleaching and dye works, about equidistant from Banbridge and Portadown - say 4 miles from each of these towns. Above and below this little town the banks of the Bann are extremely picturesque, being embellished with handsome country residences and well wooded demesnes. Population, 2,745

Church of Ireland, Gilford - Rev. J. Harding, A.M. (Canon), Incumbent. Tullylish - Rector, Rev. J. McNeice
Presbyterian Church - Rev. Wm. Gordon.  Tullylish - Rev. John Morrison.  Newmills - Rev. James Irwin
Roman Catholic Chapel, Tullylish - Rev. Benj. O'Hagan, P.P., and Rev. John Doyle, C.C.  Gilford - Rev. John Doyle, C.C.
Petty Sessions Court - William McCormick, clerk
Town Clerk - George Kinlay
Belfast Bank - Y. B. Powell, manager.  Open on Friday and quarterly fair days
Northern Bank (branch) - J. McKibben, manager.  Open on Fridays
Postmistress - Miss Frances Hunter
Town Commissioners - Hugh Dunbar McMaster, J.P., chairman; Dr. McBride, Hugh Cochrane, James Doak, Moses Kinlay, Ross Livingstone, John Muldrew, Joseph Kirk, Hugh Martin

______________________________________

GLENARM

          Is a pleasant little town in the County Antrim, thirty six miles N. from Belfast, on the coast road between Larne and Ballycastle. It is delightfully situated at the foot of a deep glen opening to the sea, and surrounded by bold, romantic and imposing scenery. Glenarm river flows past on the north side, emptying itself into a bay of its name. About fourteen miles distant are the lovely villages of Cushendall and Cushendun. Glenarm Castle, the family seat of the Earls of Antrim, is a noble quadrangular pile embellished with minarets, and surmounted by stately domes. The demesne is very extensive and beautifully wooded, the grounds being laid out with exquisite taste. Further up the Glen is a walled enclosure, called the Great Deerpark, which is most comprehensive, and the venison fed here is said to be the choicest in the kingdom. The Parish Church stands between the Castle and the sea, with a small enclosed cemetery around. In this burying ground are the ruins of a nearly circular building, formerly a Franciscan monastery of the third order, said to have been founded by the Bisset family in 1465. The water surrounding the coast is very clear, and singularly free from impurities, and there are many convenient and secluded spots for sea bathing. Taken together, these attractions cause a considerable influx of visitors in the summer season. The harbour is frequented by steam and sailing vessels, from the coasts of England and Scotland, which bring coals, bricks, and slates, taking back grain, whiting, propwood, iron-ore, lime and limestone. Of the latter large quantities are exported by the Eglinton Chemical Company. There are two whiting mills constantly running, one belonging to the Earl of Antrim and one to the Eglinton Chemical Company. The Antrim Iron Ore Company ship considerable quantities of iron ore. Aluminous ore is also now being shipped. There are Episcopalian, Presbyterian, Unitarian, and Roman Catholic places of worship. There is a Dispensary and National Schools for the education of the children. Fairs are held on 26th January, 26th May, 30th August, and 29th October. Population, 1,276

Post Office - Thomas Hunter, postmaster. Letters from Dublin, Belfast, Carrickfergus, Larne, &c., arrive at 9-45 a.m., 1 p.m., and 5-20 p.m.; from Ballymena at 11-45 a.m.; from Ballycastle and Cushendall at 3-55 p.m. Letters are despatched to Larne, Belfast, Dublin, &c., at 6-30 a.m. and 3-55 p.m.; to Cushendall and Ballycastle at 9-45 a.m., and to Ballymena at 1 p.m.

Places of Worship

Church of Ireland - Rev. Sheldon F. Dudley-Janns, A.M., rector
Presbyterian - Rev. Charles M. Cowden
Unitarian Church - Rev. Robert M. King
Roman Catholic Chapel - Rev. Edmund Hassett, P.P.; Rev. J. Martin, curate

Dispensary - Lorenzo O'Connor, M.D., registrar of births, deaths, and marriages
National School - Male, M. McCloy, master; female, Mrs. McCloy; infant, Miss McDowell
Seaview National School - J. Tuite, master; Miss McEvilly, assistant
Police Station, Tobertwine Street - Wm. J. Wilson, head constable in charge
Petty Sessions Court, held in the first Monday of each month - Thomas Hunter, clerk
Coastguard Station - W. H. Greene, officer in charge

Inhabitants
(1)

Anderson, Lydia, Antrim Arms Hotel
Antrim Iron Ore Company - F. Gednall, local manager
Cowden, Rev. Charles M., The Manse
Dudley-Janns, Rev. Sheldon F., The Glebe
Dudley, The Misses, Antrim Villa
Harland, Sir Edward, Bart., M.P., Glenarm Castle
Hassett, Rev. E., P.P.
Jamieson, Walter
King, Rev., R. M.
Martin, Rev. Hamilton, Carnelbanagh
Martin, Rev. James, C.C.
McDonald, Alexander, J.P.
O'Connor, Lorenzo, M.D.

Inhabitants
(2)

Black, Archibald, tailor and clothier
Black, Charles, spirit dealer
Charles, Margaret, grocer
Charles, Thomas, spirit dealer and posting establishment
Charles, Joseph, carpenter
Conley, Charles, tailor and clothier
Eglinton Chemical Company Limited - Walter Jamieson, manager
English, David, haberdasher
Hunter, Thomas (agent for Bradbury & Co.'s Sewing Machines), stationer and emigration agent
Lester, Bros., grocers and hardware merchants
Lusk, James, saddler and leather cutter
Mathews, Patrick, spirit dealer
McBurnie, T., grocer and haberdasher
McGuigan, Hugh, haberdasher
McKay, James, spirit dealer
McKay, Neil, butcher
McMullin, T., grocer
McMullin, Hugh, auctioneer, grocer, emigration agent, and coal merchant
McMullin, Wm., bakery
McMullin, J., timber, flour, and coal merchant
McNeill, Mrs., baker, grocer and iron merchant
McNeill, Mary, spirit dealer
McTear, John, butcher
Orr, James, grocer, painter and haberdasher
Whiting mill - Daniel O'Neill, manager
Wilson, Alexander, grocery and hardware

Conveyances

Car to Larne every morning (Sunday excepted) at 6-30 and 9-0. To Ballycastle at 9-45 a.m., on week days, which goes through Carnlough, Cushendall and Cushendun (on Sunday at 10-15 a.m.). To Ballymena every day at 1 p.m. which goes through Carnlough and Broughshane. There is also an evening mail car every week day to Larne at 3-55 p.m. (on Sunday at 3 p.m.) The distance from Glenarm to Belfast is 36 miles; to Ballymena, 16 miles; to Broughshane, 13 miles; to Carnlough 3 miles; to Cushendall, 13 miles; to Larne 11 miles.

______________________________________________

HILLSBOROUGH

          A market town (formerly a Parliamentary borough), in County Down, ten miles from Belfast, on the road from Dublin to Belfast. Petty Sessions held on first Saturday of every month, in the Court House. The Parish Church is a very elegant building, consisting of a nave and cross aisles. The tower, which is upwards of 100 feet high, and the steeple, 100 more, form altogether a beautiful and conspicuous object, and can be seen at a great distance. There are also two smaller towers at the sides. A monument, by Nollekens, to the memory of Archdeacon Leslie, erected by the third Marquis of Downshire, is worthy of notice; as also a monument, erected by the fourth Marquis of Downshire to the memory of William E. Reilly, Esq., a former agent; and there is a very chaste and elegant group of statuary, erected by the Marchioness of Downshire, to the memory of her late husband, the fifth Marquis. There are also two other handsome churches in the parish, built by the third Marquis, and one endowed by him; and there is one Presbyterian Church, and a Roman Catholic Chapel. The charitable Institutions are - a Dispensary, schools for both sexes. The Boy's School has been lately brought under the National Board, conducted on the modern system of education, and a Sunday School, patronised by the Downshire family. The Downshire demesne is contiguous to the town - the mansion, garden and lawn being on the west side of it. On a hill at the Dromore side of the town is a splendid monument to the memory of the third Marquis of Downshire, erected by public subscription, and in the centre of the town, opposite the church entrance, is a bronze statue of the fourth Marquis, put up by friends and tenants. Hillsborough Fort, which is very often visited by tourists, was built in the reign of Charles I., and is constituted a Royal Fort, of which the Marquis of Downshire is hereditary Constable. King William the Third stopped here when passing on to Drogheda, and it was here he signed the Regium Donum grant to Presbyterian ministers. Hillsborough gives the titles of Earl and Viscount to the Marquis of Downshire. The Northern Banking Company have a branch here. There is close to the town, a large linen factory, belonging to the Hillsborough Linen Company Limited. There is a public news room and a lending library, open to the people of the town and vicinity. The market is held on Wednesday; fairs, third Wednesday in each month. Population in 1881, 798.

Post Office, Postal Telegraph Office, Money Order Office, Savings Bank - Mrs. Ingram, postmistress. North of Ireland, Scotch, English and foreign mails arrive at 6-30 a.m. First general despatch at 8-40 a.m.; second at 10-45. Scotch Letters despatched at 6-5 p.m. General despatch at 8-50 p.m. Letters delivered at 7 a.m. and 12 noon
Fort and Castle Warder - Sergeant Major Reid, Downshire Office
Petty Sessions - Arthur Stanfield, clerk

Places of Worship

Church of Ireland - Ven John Gibbs, Archdeacon of Down, rector; Rev. R. A. Kernan, B.D., curate;  St. John's Church, Kilwarlin - Rev. W. Robinson, incumbent
Presbyterian Church - Rev. Charles Donaldson
Loughaghery Presbyterian Church - Rev. J. Moorehead
Annahilt Presbyterian Church - Rev. Josias Mitchell
The Maze Presbyterian Church - Rev. T. G. McKenzie
The Methodist Church, Zion - Rev. Mr. Child, minister
The Society of Friends' Meeting House
The Moravian Church, Kilwarlin - Rev. J. Shaw

Public Institutions

Masonic Lodge, "The Star of Kilwarlin," No. 66, and Royal Arch Chapter, meets in the Masonic Hall on second Saturday of February, May, August and November; and also upon the 24th June and 27th December, at 5 o'clock p.m.
Hillsborough National School - Wm. Donnan, teacher
Maze National Schools - Robert Hanna, teacher
Hillsborough Schools - J. J. Naylor, Mrs. Naylor, and Miss Martin, teachers
Dispensary, Lisburn Street - Henry Boyd, physician
Dispensary, Annahilt - Wm. Thompson, M.D., surgeon
Gas Works - William Walker, manager
Markets - James Ingram, weigh master
The Northern Banking Company Ltd. - J. T. Hardy, manager

Inhabitants
(1)

Allen, George, The Square
Blythe, Thomas, Reilly's Trench
Boyd, Henry J., surgeon
Bradshaw, Thomas, Gardens
Brereton, W., Kilwarlin
Charley, F. W., solicitor
Cosby, Major Wm., Ballynahinch Street
Dagg, James, Lisburn Street
Davis, Lennox T., Ogle's Grove Nursery
Downshire, Most Hon. the Marquis of, Hillsborough Castle
Foster, Nevin, of Hillsborough Linen Co.
Fowler, Robert, Ravarnet
Gibbs, Ven. John, Archdeacon of Down
Grange, Mrs., Park Street
Green, John Orr, Orrfield
Green, Wm., Park Gate
Greer, James, Newport
Hardy, John Tate, Northern Bank
Harty, Wm., professor of music
Henry, W. Tennent, C.E., Park Street
Hogan, Rev. F., Wellington Lodge
Howe, Thomas, J.P., Cromlyn Lodge
Irwin, Mrs., Lisadian
Jackson, James, Lisburn Street
Jefferson, John, M.D., R.N., Main Street
Johnston, Rev. Galbraith H.
Johnston, Walter, St. James
Jordon, Samuel, The Mill
Jordan, Philip, The Mill
Knox, John Alexander, Maze House
Little, Joseph, The Bark
Lockhart, Joseph, solicitor
Magaveny, R. H., The Square
Millar, Rev. T., Annahilt Glebe
Moorhead, Rev. J. N., Ballynahinch Street
Moreland, Alexander, Carnbane
Mulholland, Miss, Eglantine
McClintock, Major, H. S., J.P., Kilwarlin House
McGifford, W. J., Carnreagh
McLeavy, J., Corcreeny
Nelson, George, Culcavy
Patterson, James, Ballylintagh
Phenix, Samuel, Kesh Bridge
Pim, Arthur, Culcavy Cottage
Sands, Edwin G., Newport
Scandrett, T. H., Lisadian
Smyth, James Sydney, Park Street
Thompson, Wm., M.D., Annahilt Dispensary
Vaughan, James Alexander, Main Street
Walker, John, Corcreeny
Woods, James, St. James

Inhabitants
(2)

Bell, G. & H., pork dealers and general merchants
Bell, The Misses, haberdashers, Lisburn Street
Crawford, The Misses, haberdashers, Lisburn Street
Crothers, Samuel, spirit dealer, Ballynahinch Street
Cunningham, Alex., dealer, Ballynahinch Street
Davison, Mrs., grocer, Lisburn Road
Foote, Wm., nailer, Lisburn Road
Gawley, Mary, spirit dealer, Ballynahinch Street
Gibson, Joseph, posting establishment, spirit dealer and grocer, The Square
Green, Ann, haberdasher, The Square
Hall, Hugh, Corporation Arms Hotel
Harper, J., clothier, Lisburn Street
Heenan, Richard, spirit dealer, Main Street
Henderson, J., boot and shoe maker, Lisburn Road
Henderson, Robert, nailor, Lisburn Road
Ingram, James, boot and shoe maker, Main Street
Johnston, Robert, carpenter, Inns Lane
Johnston, Wm., whitesmith, Ballynahinch Street
Magennis, George, Ballynahinch Street
McAuley, Isabella, Main Street
McCandless, Joseph, spirit dealer and farmer, Lisburn Street
McCarthy, Robert, embroidery agent, Main Street
McKee, Wm., spirit dealer, Lisburn Street
O'Loughlin, Hugh Charles, spirit dealer, The Square
O'Loughlin, Thomas, saddler, The Square
Patterson, The Misses, dress makers, Main Street
Rennyson, James, boot and shoe maker, Lisburn Street
Scott, James, Main Street
Smith, John, baker, Lisburn Street
Smith, Henry, Lisburn Street
Thornton, Robert, grocer, Lisburn Street
Walker, William, butcher, Main Street
West, Chas., station master, Great Northern Railway
Wilson, Mrs., Main Street

___________________________________________

HOLYWOOD

          Four and a quarter (Irish) miles distant from the Exchange (Commercial Buildings), Belfast, is beautifully situated on the eastern or County Down shore of Belfast Lough, and is backed by an extensive range of hills, which rise with a gentle slope from the water's edge to a height of between 600 and 700 feet. These hills materially check and moderate the cold and humid south-east and southerly winds, which prevail so largely at certain seasons, before they reach the town; while the north and north-west winds by having to cross over the large expanse of salt water in the bay are denuded of the keenness peculiar to land winds, and these important influences, combined with the natural attractiveness of the locality at all seasons, make Holywood highly appreciated as an all-the-year-round residence, especially for those of a delicate or susceptible frame. The public road from Holywood to Belfast leads through Ballymacarrett and Strandtown, passing over Bunker's Hill, from which the renowned "Bunker Hill" of America is named. There is also an old road leading through Belmont and Knocknagoney, and by either of these routes a most charming drive is afforded. Direct railway accommodation to this pleasant seaside town is afforded by the Belfast and County Down Railway, trains running almost every hour from half past six o'clock in the morning until eleven at night, the fares are moderate, and special inducements are offered to subscribers. It is thus one of the most accessible suburbs of Belfast. Holywood is remarkable as having been a place of note so far back as the seventh century, at which period a church is believed to have been founded in it by Saint Laisren, and it is recorded that King John, when journeying from Carrickfergus to Downpatrick, on the 29th of July, 1210, halted at Holywood - "Apud Sanctum Boscum" - the name Sanctus Boscus or Holy Wood having been given to it as early as the period of the English Invasion; the road traversed by King John was that leading past the waterworks. It is also stated that in the year 1217 Jordanus de Saukevill was confirmed in the possession of the lands "de Sancto Bosco" by Henry III. About the year 1200 a monastery of the Third Order of St. Francis, or Franciscans, was founded. This monastery was tenanted by about four hundred monks, and stood somewhere near the ruins of the present Old Church, and occupied the site of the church believed to have been founded by St. Laisren in the seventh century. A short distance from the Old Church, in the grounds of Millmoat, is a large ancient rath or funereal mound, supposed to be the tomb of some mighty chief who flourished long prior even to St. Laisren's time. This monastery was attached to the great monastic establishment at Bangor founded by St. Congall, and it, together with those at Bangor, Newtownards, and Moville, were burned by Sir Thos. Brian MacFelim O'Neill, Lord of Clannaboy, in 1572, in order that Sir Thos. Smith, Secretary to Queen Elizabeth, might not have the opportunity of placing garrisons in them. In the graveyard which surrounds the Old Church there are gravestones dating from 1630, and quite recently an elaborately carved stone of about six feet in height, which must be of great antiquity, was discovered embedded at a considerable depth on the north-east side of the old graveyard, and is now preserved in the belfry. Peculiar interest in connection with the Presbyterian Church attaches to Holywood, inasmuch as we are informed Robert Cunningham "was the first of the Presbyterian Divines to settle, not only in Holywood, but in the County Down, and the second one established in Ulster." He was settled in Holywood in 1615, where he ministered successfully for about twenty years. Within the last thirty years immense sums of money have been expended in rebuilding and greatly enlarging and improving the town. The places of worship of all denominations are handsome and commodious edifices. Sullivan's National Schools, consisting of boys', girls', and infant schools, occupy a very superior and ornamental structure in the principal street; and adjoining it (built at a cost of 2,000) stands one of the best and cheapest endowed Intermediate Schools to be found in Ireland. According to the scheme of Dr. Sullivan's trustees, as amended by the Master of the Rolls, instruction is given in this important and valuable institution in ancient classics, modern languages, science, English composition, &c., at rates that enable the sons of parents of small incomes to enjoy their benefits. Dr. Sullivan's munificent bequests for these schools amounted to about 14,000, of which 4,000 are to be applied to the ordinary schools. The Parochial National Schools (male and female) situated adjacent to the Parish Church, and built by the congregation, are handsome and commodious structures, with a large daily attendance. There are also several first-class ladies' and boys' boarding and day schools. The shops in the town are numerous - grocers. bakers, hardware, butchers, millinery establishments, all of which do a flourishing business; besides which the principal traders in Belfast send their vans regularly to take orders and supply their customers. Fish caught in the lough by local fishermen are sold every morning; and about half a mile from the shore is a large mussel bank, the produce of which is also sold every morning when in season. The Pier erected by the Holywood Pier Company, Limited, in the year 1866, but which for several years past has been in a state of dilapidation, has now passed into the hands of the Messrs. Dixon, of Belfast, who contemplate re-instating it, and carrying out extensive improvements; it is also believed to be the intention to have a small swift steamer plying between Belfast and Holywood. The principal hotel, "The Belfast Hotel," in High Street, is an extensive building, with large stabling and carriage accommodation. The new proprietor, Mr. Henry J. Lindsay, purposes conducting it in the best style, with a reasonable tariff. The "Kinnegar Hotel," Mr. Charles McCadden, proprietor, also affords excellent accommodation at moderate rates. A number of cars are always at the railway station on the arrival of trains, and private cabs and landaus are to be had hire; boats can also be hired by the hour or day during the summer. The Government have acquired the Kinnegar, and use it as an out military station for drill purposes and ball practice. Two ranges have been constructed, one fitted with running gear; and companies from the battalions stationed in Belfast, as well as a militia regiment, are placed under canvas on the Kinnegar during the summer season. The Ulster Rifle Association, established nearly a quarter of a century, have also their range on the Kinnegar, and here some of the most distinguished marksmen in the United Kingdom have been trained. The Royal Belfast Golf Club, the most flourishing club of the kind in Ireland, has its links - a nine hole course - on the Kinnegar, which is admirably adapted for golfing, and it is not an unusual sight to see from fifty to sixty gentlemen engaged in this exhilarating pastime on a Saturday afternoon. There is also a Ladies' Golf Club, which is very popular. The Holywood Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club has a large membership, and fine grounds at Spafield, within a few minutes' walk of the railway station. Holywood is under the Towns' Improvement (Ireland) Act, 1854, and it is exceedingly well sewered, the sanitary arrangements in every direction having been actively looked after. The town is well lighted with gas, and from the gas works pipes are laid to Marino and as far as Craigavad. The Town Hall, the property of the rate payers, situate in Sullivan Place, is a splendid building, with every accommodation suitable for all classes of meetings. Here the Town Commissioners have their board room for holding their meetings, and in another portion of the building the Petty Sessions Court is held bi-monthly. The large hall is a most comfortable and spacious room, capable of seating about five hundred persons, with a large raised platform, and is used for concerts and lectures. In connection with the building is a News Room and public library. A Volunteer Fire Brigade has recently been established in Holywood, and the apparatus is kept beside the Town Hall. The Orange Hall, a plain but substantial building, containing lodge rooms, and assembly hall, is also in Sullivan Place, in close proximity to the railway station. The Masonic Hall, in Church View, is an unpretentious looking building on the outside, but the interior, which includes lodge room, ante room, and supper room, is very neatly and comfortably fitted up. The Holywood Young Men's Christian Association (1882), with a membership of close upon two hundred, hold weekly meetings during the winter in the Parochial Hall, Church Road. A branch of the Y.M.C.A. has recently been started in the premises known as the Bath House, at the corner of Marine Parade and Shore Street, and has a large membership. Meetings and classes are held on several evenings during each week. Hot and cold, salt and fresh water baths have been fitted up for the use of subscribers. There is also a news room, and a gymnasium will shortly be opened in connection with it. The Public Fountain in Church Street is the gift of Baron Trevor, Brynkinalt, North Wales, Lord of the Manor. It is supplied by a spring which rises in the adjoining field a little below the church, and the water is justly celebrated for its purity and excellence for tea making purposes. The May Pole, probably the last of the kind in Ireland, stands in the Main Street, is the gift of Captain Harrison, J.P. It is an immense Norwegian spar, standing about sixty four feet above ground, and twenty under it. The ceremony of dressing it with bunting and flowers on May eve is still continued. Holywood has been always recommended to invalids on account of its superior climate, which is, winter and summer, two degrees warmer than Belfast. The late eminent Dr. Forsythe was accustomed to make his patients take up their residence there, as he did himself in old age, after amassing a large fortune. Distinguished Dublin physicians speak in the highest terms of the climate. The walks along the shore and on the hills are very numerous and most attractive. From the summit of the hills there are, at different standpoints, commanding views of County Down, with its farms, lakes, rivers, and mountains stretching away to Slieve Donard; then away to the right, from above Stormount Castle, appears the whole valley of the Lagan, with the spires of Lisburn, Hillsborough and Ballinderry, in the distance. From the hills above Craigavad there is afforded a wide sweep of the Scottish mountains, with the Ailsa Craig rising up like a vast sugar loaf in the middle of the deep. From the hill above Craigantlet there is a grand view of Strangford Lough, and, still looking to the right, the grand, majestic old Cave Hill is to be seen; and in one uninterrupted view the eye can reach the dark and terrible looking Black Head. A little nearer Holywood is Pottinger's Dog Kennel, where in olden times the father of the celebrated brothers Pottinger, of Chinese fame, kept his hounds while he lived at Craigavad House. There are curious old caves in Cultra Glen; and about a mile above the Episcopal Church is Schomberg's Hill, where William's Army lay proceeding from Groomsport to the Boyne. The first house in High Holywood - "Glenside" - was built by the late Rev. Henry Henderson, in 1849; but now the whole of that greatly admired district is covered with detached mansions, terraces and shrubberies. The inhabitants get a plentiful supply of pure water from the waterworks, constructed in the glen above the town, at a cost of about 10,000 to the ratepayers. Mr. L. L. Macassey, C.E., was the engineer for the works as now constructed. They comprise a storage reservoir of about three acres in extent (capable of holding nine million gallons), a filter basin, and a clear water basin. The nomination of candidates for Parliamentary honours for the North Division of Down, and the declaration of the poll, takes place in Holywood. The proprietor of Holywood is Captain John Harrison, J.P. The Population in 1841 was 1,500; in 1861, 2,422; in 1871, 3,462; in 1881, 3,293; and it is now (1890) estimated at about 4,000, the town, after several years of depression, having made great progress within the past few years. The poor-law valuation of the township is about 11,000.

Post Office, High Street - Thomas T. Porter, Postmaster; Miss Radcliffe and Miss Porter, Assistants. James Geddis, William John Graham, David Malcolm, and Jas. McNeilly, letter carriers. Mails arrive at 6-45 a.m., 11-50 a.m., 3-25 p.m.; despatched at 11-10 a.m., 2-25 p.m., 6-20 p.m.
Constabulary Barrack, High Street - Sergeant George Beatty. Constables Edwd. Gallagher, Joseph Nolan, Charles Cosgrove, Jas. Walsh, and John Murdoch
Coastguard Station, Marino - John Hall, Chief Officer; James Pitts, William Stambury, Walter Martin, John Carswell

Places of Worship

Church of Ireland - Rev. Canon Crozier, D.D., Vicar; Rev. John Connell, B.A., Curate; Rev. S. J. Hackett, M.A., Diocesan Curate; Sunday, 11-30 a.m. and 7 p.m.
First Presbyterian Church, Bangor Road - Rev. Henry Halliday, M.A., minister; Sunday, 11-30 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Second Presbyterian Church, High Street - Rev. Henry Osborne, M.A., minister; Sunday, 11-30 a.m. and 7 p.m.
First Presbyterian (Non-subscribing) Church, High - Rev. Charles James McAlester, minister; Sunday, 11-30 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel - Rev. W. R. Budd, minister; Rev. Jas. Murdoch, supernumerary; Sunday, 11-30 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Roman Catholic Chapel - Rev. James O'Laverty, P.P., M.R.I.A.
Christian Brethren, Assembly Hall, 21 Shore Street - Sunday, 12 and 7 p.m.
Brethren Mission Hall, Downshire Road - Sunday, 12 and 7 p.m.
Salvation Army - Barracks, Hibernia Street; Sunday, 7 a.m., 11 a.m., 3 p.m., and 7 p.m.

Temperance Societies

Holywood Total Abstinence Society (Established 1843) - President and Hon. Sec., Rev. C. J. McAlester
Parochial Temperance Society - President, Rev. Canon Crozier, D.D.; Vice-President, Rev. John Connell, B.A.; Hon, Secretary, Harold Malcomson; Hon. Treasurer, L. L. Macassey, B.L., C.E. Band of Hope - Hon. Sec., James H. Barrett
Band of Hope and Temperance Society, Bangor Road - President, Rev. Henry Halliday, A.M. Hon. Sec., James Munce
Band of Hope and Temperance Society, High Street - President, rev. Henry Osborne, M.A. Hon. Sec., John Shanks
Y.M.C.A. (H'wood Branch) Temperance Society

Schools

Sullivan Upper (Intermediate) School; Principal - Adam Speers, B.Sc. (London)
Sullivan National Schools - Male School; Principal - Hugh Small; Female School - Mrs. Kerr; Infant School - Miss Scott
Parochial National Schools - Male School; Principal - C. D. Atkinson; Female School - Miss Greer
National School (R.C.); Principal - Felix Rice; Assistant - Miss Annie O'Neill
Ladies' School, Millbank - Miss Lodge
Select School, Hibernia Street - Miss Reid

Institutions

Bible Depository - Miss Foster, High Street
Dispensary, High Street - Shuldam H. Dunlop, M.D., Medical Officer
Holywood Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club; President - Captain Harrison, J.P.; Cricket Club - Hon. Sec., Charles Blue; Lawn Tennis Club - Hon. Sec., John Rodman
Holywood Gas Company Limited - Registered Office - The Gas Works, Kinnegar; Directors - Henry Murney, M.D.; David Johnston, M.D.; James Johnston, W. W. Wilson, Alexander Finlay, J. M. Higginson, A. M. Munster, John Marsh, J. J. Keegan, J.P.; Rev. C. J. McAlester. Secretary - James H. Barrett; Manager - Thomas Frizell. Directors meet first Monday in each month
Holywood Tobogganing Club - Grounds, Demesne Road - Captain, Richard Patterson, J.P.; Hon. Secretary and Treasurer, James McQuillan, B.A.
Holywood Town Commissioners - Meet first Thursday in the month, at 7-30 p.m. Richard Patterson, J.P., chairman. Commissioners - John Campbell, Robert Chamberlain, Robt. S. Gamble, Matthew R. Linden, David Morrow, Hugh Robinson, John Shanks, John Smyth. Town Clerk, Executive Sanitary Officer, and Registrar of Cemetery, Austin Waters; Medical Officer of Health, S. H. Dunlop, M.D.; Sub-Sanitary Officer & Water Inspector, Robert McLean; Sexton of Cemetery and grave digger, M. McCall, Gray's Lane
Holywood Young Men's Christian Association - Meet every Tuesday evening, from Oct. to April, in Parochial Hall. President, Rev. Canon Crozier, D.D.; Vice-Presidents, Rev. S. J. Hackett, M.A.; Rev. John Connell, B.A.; Hon. Secretaries, Richard Sedgwick, John B. Stephens; Hon. Treas., Walter Smyth
Y.M.C.A. (Holywood Branch), Marine Parade and Shore Street - President, John Hanson, J.P.; chairman of committee, John Williams; president of literary society, Thos. H. Wilson; secretary of literary society, A. F. Mayne, B.A.; hon. treasurer, James Munce, C.E.; hon. secretary, Thomas H. Lyons; conveners of committee, J. C. Blair, B.A.; H. C. Carleton, ?
Medical Hall, High Street - J. C. C. Payne, M.P.S.I., proprietor; Joseph J. Macaulay, manager
News Room, Town Hall - President, Captain Harrison, J.P.; hon. secretary, Wm. Robinson; hon. treasurer, John Campbell; hon. librarian, C. D. Atkinson
Orange Institution - The brethren meet in the Orange Hall, Sullivan Place, once every month. Holywood Purple Star L.O.L., 785; Holywood L.O.L., 1687; Holywood Royal Standard L.O.L., 1906
Petty Sessions District of Holywood - Court held in Town Hall second and fourth Mondays in each month at 12 o'clock noon, James H. Barrett, St. Leonard's, Holywood, clerk of Petty Sessions for Districts of Holywood, Bangor, and Newtownbreda
Railway Station - Robert McKee, station master
Royal Belfast Golf Club, club house, Promenade Kinnegar (177 members) - Captain (1890), Mr. J. H. MacIlwaine; hon. secretary, Henry Herdman, 69 High Street, Belfast; hon. treasurer, G. L. Wheeler, solicitor, High Street, Belfast; caretaker, Mrs. Loughman
Telephone Exchange - Town Hall
Ulster Rifle Association, range, The Kinnegar - President, The Most Noble the Marquis of Dufferin and Ava, K.P.; hon. secretary, Mr. C. Playfair, 21 Castle Place, Belfast
Victoria Masonic Lodge, 254, Masonic Hall, Church View - First Monday in month at 7-45 p.m.; R. A. Chapter
Working Men's Reading Room, Church View - Hon. secretary, Thomas McCleave; hon. treasurer, Chas. Wills

Inhabitants

Adams, John, Downshire Road
Aiken, Robert, grocer, 87 High Street
Alder, Miss, Byron Street
Allan, John R., Byron Street
Allen, Mrs. Margaret, 22 Shore Street
Alexander, James, master mariner, Church View
Anderson, Charles, clothier, 9 Church Street
Anderson, John, J.P., East Hillbrook
Anderson, Mrs. I., Belfast tavern, 49 High Street
Anderson, Samuel, tailor, Church View
Anderson, Thomas, clothier, 86 High Street
Ardery, Miss, 2 Pierview Terrace
Armor, John, 4 Riverston Terrace
Armstrong, Agnes, grocer, Church View
Arnold, Edgar, Marino
Arthurs, Mrs., Millbrook Street
Bailie, John, carpenter, 19 Church Street
Bain, Mrs., 11 Church Street
Bain, Mrs., 3 High Street
Baker, James, 1 Jubilee Terrace, Shore Street
Ballagh, John, sen., plumber and gasfitter, 64 High Street
Ballagh, John, jun., plumber, 9 Downshire Road
Barbour, James, J.P., Ardville, Marino
Barkley, J. M., 3 Walmer Terrace
Barr, James, Downshire Road
Barr, Mrs. Mary, dress maker, 84 High Street
Barry, John B., 2 Auburn Place, High Street
Berry, Mrs., Killip's Court
Barry, Wm. J., jun., blacksmith, Downshire Road
Barry, Wm. J., sen., blacksmith, 17 Church Street
Barron, Robert, painter, 19 High Street
Baskerville, John F., Sunnyside Terrace
Bates, Edward, solicitor, 1 Riverston Terrace
Bates, Mrs. R. D., 1 Riverston Terrace
Beaumont, Mrs., 3 Hibernia Terrace
Beaton, Mrs. Sarah, 11 Hibernia Street
Beatty, James B., 13 Marine Parade
Beatty, Rev. William, Churchill Terrace
Beggs, Samuel, 14 Hibernia Street
Bell, Daniel, 11 Church View
Bell, Miss Amelia, Croft
Berry, Miss, pastry baker, High Street
Beverland, Robert, Church Avenue
Binney, Mrs., Riverston House
Birch, Richard S., Victoria Terrace, High Street
Blakeley, Mrs., grocer, Downshire Road
Blair, M. Crea, Stewart's Place
Blayney, Mrs., 10 Marine Parade
Blue, Mrs., Seapark Terrace
Bolster, Richard, 10 Marine Parade
Bonynge, William, 2 Anchor Lodges
Borthwick, James, Downshire Road
Bossence, Richard, Victoria Place, Victoria Road
Bosworthwick, Mrs., 20 Church Street
Boyce, Mrs., Churchill Terrace
Boyd, David, Downshire Road
Boyd, Jane, lodgings, 40 Church Street
Boyd, John K., Cultra House
Boyd, Robert, carter, Church View
Boyd, William, Church View
Boyle, James, solicitor, Ardmore Terrace
Bradley, John, labourer, Hill Street
Brennan, William, barber, 83 High Street
Brett, Miss, The Crescent
Brooke, Edwin H., The Crescent
Brown, Mrs. Catherine, 50 Church Street
Brown, Miss Mary, 9 Lennox Terrace
Brown, Robert, Sunnyside Terrace
Brown, William, The Crescent
Bruce, Mrs., 12 Marine Parade
Bruce, Thomas, 12 Marine Parade
Bryson, Samuel, Woodbank
Buchanan, W. G., 2 Jubilee Terrace, Shore Street
Buckley, Mrs., Princess Gardens on-the-Sea
Budd, Rev. W. R., Church Hill
Burke, Mrs., Victoria Terrace, High Street
Burnett, John R., Martello House
Burns, Mrs. Ellen, Railway Hotel, 51 High Street
Burns, Thomas, car owner, 12 Shore Street
Butler, Mrs. Mary, lodgings, 31 Church Street
Byers, John, Downshire Road
Byers, Mrs., dress maker, 99 High Street
Caldwell, Walter, 26 Shore Street
Calwell, Mrs., 27 Church Street
Cambridge, William, The Esplanade
Campbell, Abram, Byron Street
Campbell, John, 6 Hibernia Terrace
Campbell, Miss, Plasmerdyn
Campbell, Mrs. Ellen, 4 Walmer Terrace
Campbell, Mrs. James, 6 Walmer Terrace
Campbell, Robert, grocer, Church View
Canavan, Mary, grocer, 95 High Street
Canmer, Mrs. Catherine, 108 High Street
Cardy, William, 49 Church View
Carleton, Henry C., Stewart's Place
Carson, John, 1 Walmer Terrace
Carson, Mrs. Robert, Fernbank
Catherwood, Thomas, Church View
Caughey, James, 1 Downshire Road
Caughey, Mrs., 12 Lennox Terrace
Cavan, Mrs. Jane, Downshire Road
Chadwick, William, 2 Marine Place
Chaine, Mrs., Garden Lodge, Knocknagoney
Chamberlain, Robert, 124 High Street
Charters, Robert, pensioner, Downshire Road
Clarke, James, 10 Hibernia Street
Coakley, Daniel, 107 High Street
Cochrane, Eliza, 12 Lennox Terrace
Cochrane, Robert, Cornwall Villas
Cochrane, Samuel, Downshire Road
Coffey, Mrs., Marino
Cole, James, 6 Marine Place
Collins, John, gardener, 13 Downshire Road
Conn, John, 76 High Street
Connell, B.A., Rev. John, 6 Riverston Terrace
Connolly, James, Marino House
Cooke, Archibald, tailor, 26 Church Street
Cooke, James, mariner, 6 Sullivan Street
Cooper, Hugh, 72 High Street
Cooper, James R., Seaview Cottage
Cooper, John, Church Avenue
Cosgrove, Francis, car owner, 142 High Street
Coulter, Henry, 2 Riverston Terrace
Craig, Mrs., 6 Marine Parade
Craig, William, station master, Cultra
Crookshank, Robert, Riverside
Crothers, Mrs., Marino
Crozier, Francis, tailor, 52 High Street
Crozier, D.D., Rev. Canon, The Vicarage
Cullen, William, 33 High Street
Currel, Daniel, Tudor
Currie, William A., Merville
Darragh, Robert, Hillbrook
Davidson, Miss, Ardmore Terrace
Davison, Mrs., Ardmore Terrace
Davis, Henry, Fernbank
Dawson, Howard, 1 Marine Parade
Day, Alex., golf instructor, 4 Gloucester Terrace
Devers, Mrs. Agnes, 29 Church Street
Dixon, John K., Hillbrook
Doggart, sen., Isaac, 138 High Street
Doggart, jun., Isaac, painter, Church View
Doggart, James, grocer, 78 High Street
Doggart, Wm. John, builder, High Street and Hibernia Street
Donaldson, Henry, tailor, 30 Church Street
Donaldson, Robt., mercantile clerk, 89 High Street
Donaldson, William, 1 Anchor Lodges
Donnan, William, Ardmore Terrace
Dooley, Daniel, pensioner, Church View
Dowd, Patrick, station master, Marino
Downing, Miss, 4 Bath Terrace
Downing, William M., Rollo House, High Street
Duffield, Mrs., 21 High Street
Dugan, J. J., 122 High Street
Dunlop, M.D., Archibald, St. Helen's
Dunlop, M.D., Shuldham H., dispensary, High Street
Dunville, D.L., J.P., Robert G., Redburne; and Sion House, Navan, Co. Meath
Dunwoody, James, carpenter, 89 High Street
Dunwoody, John, Church Street
Dunwoody, Matthew, carpenter, Sullivan Street
Dunwoody, Thomas, Priory Park
Dunwoody, jun., Thomas, painter, 67 High Street
Dunwoody, sen., Thomas, 28 Church Street
Dunwoody, William, coal merchant, 27 Shore Street
Dunwoody, Wm. J., house & insurance agent, 4 Church View
Eaton, Richard, Priory Park
Ellis, Matthew, Railway Tavern, Hibernia Street
Emery, Edward, 12 Hibernia Street
Erskine, Robert, St. Leonard's
Estate office (Captain Harrison's), 8 Shore Street
Fay, John, coal merchant, Shore Street & Bath Terrace
Ferris, James, 35 Shore Street
Ferris, John, 2 Church View
Ferris, John, 4 Pier View Terrace
Finlay, Alexander, Willesden
Finlay, Isaac, 67 High Street
Fishbourne, Mrs., milliner, 3 & 5 Church Street
Fisher, Thomas, Hillbrook
Flannery, Arthur J., Bellevue
Fleming, Miss, Cultra Cottages
Forsythe, Miss, Ballykeel House
Foster, Miss, stationer, 36 High Street
Frackleton, Mrs. Margaret J., The Crescent
Francis, Samuel, car owner, 50 High Street
Frizelle, Thomas, manager, gas works, Byron Street
Futtit, James B., Church Avenue
Galbraith, David John, Sunnyside Terrace
Galway, Miss Ellen, grocer, Church View
Gamble, Robert S., Spafield
Garratt, Joseph R., Rialto
Garvin, James, cab owner, 57 High Street
Gaussen, Wm. L., 1 auburn Place, High Street
Geddes, J., Sunnyside Terrace
Gibson, Hamilton, feather dealer, 8 Marine Parade
Gibson, William, Downshire Road
Gifford, J., Bellevue
Gilbert, Mrs., 3 Pier View Terrace
Gill, Mrs., 22 Church Street
Gillespie, Mrs. Margaret, 25 Church Street
Gilpin, Mrs. Sarah, coal merchant, 20 Shore Street
Glover, Mrs., Churchill Terrace
Gordon, Charles, 18 High Street
Graham, John, 5 Marine Place
Graham, Mrs. Mary, Spencer Street
Graham, Wm. John, letter carrier, Hill Street
Gray, Alexander, coal merchant and contractor, 31 & 33 Shore Street
Greenfield, Miss, 2 Church Street
Greenfield, Thomas K., Farmhill
Greer, Miss Elizabeth, principal Parochial Female, National School, 134 High Street
Gribben, Edward, Farmhill
Griffin, Mrs., Victoria Place
Grundler, Edward, Athelstane
Hackett, M.A., Rev. S. J., Churchhill Terrace
Haddow, Thomas, Downshire Road
Hall, Mrs., Ballykeel House
Halliday, Rev. Henry, M.A., The Manse, Victoria Road
Hamilton, Mrs., Church View
Hamilton, Mrs. Joseph, Seapark Cottage
Hamilton, Wm. S., Ardara
Harkness, James, Coilmara, Cultra
Harper, Thomas, 1 Marine Place
Harrel, Mrs., Lower Martello Terrace
Harris, John P., 32 High Street
Harrison, Miss, Ballykeel House
Harrison, J.P., Captain John, Ardtulla
Haslett, Mrs., Seaview Terrace, Esplanade
Hatton, Mrs., family grocer and news agent, 12 High Street
Hay, Mrs., nurse tender, Downshire Road
Hayes, Wm., plasterer. Rose Cottage, Marino
Hazelton, Miss, 7 Church Street
Henderson, George G., Mayville, Stewart's Place
Henderson, Mrs., Glenard
Heron, Francis Adens, The Nest, Cultra
Heron, John, Maryfield
Heron, William Cowan, J.P., Maryfield
Herron, Hugh, Hibernia Street
Herron, John, gardener, Millbrook Street
Herron, Robert, fruit and vegetable dealer, 6 Shore Street
Higginson, Miss, 5 Annaville
Higginbotham, Mrs., 4 Esplanade
Higginson, Miss, Lower Martello Terrace
Hill, Edward, grocer, 43 High Street
Hillis, Mrs., Milton Street
Hodges, John F. W., J.P., Tudor Park
Holden, Miss, 105 High Street
Holmes, Captain, Church Avenue
Holmes, Miss, seamstress, Downshire Road
Holt, J. W., organist Parish Church, Seaview Cottages
Hood, Mrs., Sunnyside Terrace
Hungerford, Richard, Downshire Road
Hunter, Alexander, bank official, Downshire Road
Hunter, James, Sunnyside Terrace
Hunter, John, Ardmore Terrace
Hunter, Mrs. Elizabeth, 4 Hibernia Terrace
Hunter, Mrs., Burnleigh
Hunter, Wm., Crofton Hall
Hutchinson, James, baker, Church Street
Hyndman, James, Woodside
Ireland, The Misses, Oakley
Irwin, Mrs., 5 Riverston Terrace
Jamieson, George, Downshire Road
Jamieson, Miss, Moffett Terrace
Jamieson, Wm., plasterer, Priory Park
Jeffrey, John J., dairyman, Bath Cottage
Johnson, James F., artist, 8 Church Street
Johnson, Miss, underclothing establishment, 8 Church Street
Johnston, David, M.D., Redclyffe
Johnston, James, 37 High Street
Johnston, James, 128 High Street
Johnston, James, mariner, Spencer Street
Johnston, Mrs. Margaret, 126 High Street
Johnston, Mrs., 7 Marine Parade
Johnston, Robert S., 132 High Street
Judge, Mrs., 21a High Street
Keegan, James J., J.P., Brooklyn
Kelly, Bernard, Sunnyside Terrace
Kemp, David C., Clanbrassil, Cultra
Kennedy, David, Church View
Kennedy, Miss, tobacconist, 18 Church Street
Kennedy, Mrs. Elizabeth, The Crescent
Kerr, James, fancy goods, 68 High Street
Kidd, Mrs. Annie, 26 High Street
King, John, 30 Shore Street
Kinley, Mrs. Ruth, Downshire Road
Kyle, William, carpenter, Victoria Road
Langridge, Wm., farmer, Sand End
Lattimore, Mrs., dress maker, 30 High Street
Lavery, John, 115 High Street
Lavery, Wm., Downshire Road
Law, Mrs., Churchill Terrace
Legate, Theophilus, 24 Shore Street
Lemon, Mrs., 52 Church Street
Lennox, David, cess collector, 24 High Street
Lennox, James, grocer, 59 High Street
Lennox, James, builder, 30 High Street
Lennox, John, 30 High Street
Lennox, Mrs., grocer, 63 High Street
Linden, Matthew R., Cornwall Villas
Lindsay, Henry J., Belfast Hotel, 41 High Street
Little, John, Bangor Road
Lodge, Miss, Ladies' School, Millbank
Logan, John G., Downshire Road
Love, Miss, 122 High Street
Lowry, John, stone cutter, Lennox Terrace
Lunam, John, land steward, Holywood House
Lyons, Thomas H., draper, 33 Church Street
Lyttle, Joshua, Churchfield
Lyttle, Mrs. Isabella, 8 High Street
Macassey, Luke L., B.L., C.E., Stanley House
Macaulay, John, pharmaceutical chemist and dentist; medical hall, High Street
MacCormack, Hugh, Seaview Terrace
Mack, J., photographer, 16 Hibernia Street
Mackin, James, gardener, 2 Sullivan Street
Mackin, Thomas, flax buyer, 3 Strand Street
Mackinnon, Robert J. S., 17 Shore Street
Macoun, William, 14 Marine Parade
Magee, Agnes, lodgings, 93 High Street
Magee, David, confectioner and bill poster, 65 High Street
Magee, Thomas, fruit and vegetable dealer, 82 High Street
Magilton, Moses, painter, Sullivan Street
Maginnes, Mrs. E., dress maker, 11a Church Street
Malcolm, John, Spencer Street
Malcolm, Wm. H., 2 Riverside Terrace
Malcolmson, Mrs. Harriet, 11 Marine Parade
Mallon, Mrs., nurse tender, 110 High Street
Manning, Edward, 8 Esplanade
Marsh, John, Glenlyon
Martin, James, Kinnegar Villa
Mayne, Mrs., The Promenade, Kinnegar
Maxwell, Thomas, butcher, 97 High Street
Meeke, Mrs., 9 High Street
Megaw, Robert, The Priory
Menagh, Miss M. J., 14 Marine Parade
Mercer, Hugh, Concrete Villa, Cultra
Miller, Henry, Seaside Tavern, Stewart's Place
Miller, W., cabinet maker and joiner, 23 High Street
Milligan, R., nurseryman and fruiterer, High Street
Milliken, Thomas S., Byron Street
Mitchell, Joseph, 60 High Street
Moat, Joseph C., 140 High Street
Molloy, Joseph H., 4 Marine Parade
Moore, Mrs. Eliza, 3 Sullivan Street
Moore, Mrs. Jane, nurse tender, 14 Church Street
Moore, Samuel, family grocer, 40 High Street
Moore, Wm. Thomas, mason, Downshire Road
Moorehead, Mrs., laundress, Spencer Street
Moreland, Mrs., The Firs
Morgan, Miss, Sullivan Place
Morrison, John, draughtsman, Sullivan Place
Morrison, Mrs., Bellevue
Mortimer, Robert, 5 Esplanade
Morton, William, Victoria Place
Morrow, David, Churchill
Morrow, James, Cultra Cottages
Morrow, William, 104 High Street
Mulligan, Mrs., 23 Shore Street
Mulligan, Mrs., 3 Riverston Terrace
Mullan, William, chimney sweep, 56 High Street
Munce, Jas., assistant surveyor, city of Belfast, 106 High Street
Munce, Mrs. Mary, 136 High Street
Munn, Samuel W., 112 High Street
Munster, Alfred M., Crofton
Murdoch, Adam, grocer, 96 & 98 High Street
Murdoch, John, Byron Street
Murdoch, Rev. James, 6 Pierview Terrace
Murney, Henry, M.D., Tudor Park
Murphy, Mrs. Rose Ann, 5 Staunton Place
Murray, Bernard, car owner, Marine Parade
McAdam, John V., Villa Nova, Kinnegar
McAdam, Mrs. Margaret, 45 Church View
McAfee, George, 5 Marine Parade
McAfee, John, Rosebank, High Street
McAlester, Rev. C. J., Beechcroft
McBride, James, Priory Park Villa
McCabe, Thos., mariner, 17 Hibernia Street
McCadden, Charles, Kinnegar Hotel
McCall, Fras., dairyman, Holywood House Lodge
McCall, Miss Harriet, draper, 22 High Street
McCall, M., cemetery sexton, Gray's Lane
McCalmont, Capt. J. M., M.P., Holywood House
McCammon, Mrs., Woodville
McCammon, Major Thomas A., Woodville
McCammon, Mrs., Ardmore Terrace
McCann, John, Concrete Villas
McCann, Mrs. Susan, Star Inn, 66 High Street
McCarthy, James, 4 Gloucester Terrace
McCaw, Thomas, Ivy Place
McChesney, Joseph, 6 Annaville
McCleave, Thomas, plumber, 34 High Street
McClelland, William, The Crescent
McClements, Mrs., Bellevue
McComb, Mrs., 3 Moffett's Terrace
McConnell, Miss Jane, dress maker, 32 Church Street
McConnell, Samuel, Sunnyside Terrace
McCormick, Edward, 32 Shore Street
McCormick, Hugh, caretaker, Y.M.C.A., rooms, Downshire Road
McCormick, John, pensioner R.I.C., Downshire Road
McCrory, Mrs., fruiterer, Shore Street
McCullough, John, Martello Terrace
McCullough, John, Millbrook Street
McCullough, Mrs. Sarah, 9 Hibernia Street
McDonald, Miss, 7 Staunton Place
McDowell, Edward, 5 Hibernia Street
McDowell, Patrick, shoe maker, 75 High Street
McDowell, Stephen, 3 Jubilee Terrace, Shore Street
McDowell, William, 13 Shore Street
McEvoy, Mrs., Church View
McFarland, Mrs., 5 Pierview Terrace
McGarry, John, 3 Anchor Lodge
McGee, James, Woodville
McIlroy, Mrs., lodgings, 24 Church Street
McIlroy, Wilson, Ballykeel
McIntyre, John, tea and coffee merchant, 45 & 47 High Street
McKee, John, Stewart's Place
McKee, Joseph, Downshire Road
McKenna, Mrs. Annie, Church View
McKelvey, Mrs., nurse tender, 3 Staunton Place
McKeown, James, 35 High Street
McKeown, Mrs., Cultra Cottages
McKeown, Mrs. Christina, Church View
McKibbin, William, caretaker H.C.C. grounds, Spencer Street
McKinty, Mrs. Mary, 1 High Street
McKisack, James, Tudor Park
Mclean, Henry, Spafield
McLean, James, S.C.S., Co. Antrim, Plasmerdyn
McLean, John, solicitor, Churchhill Terrace
McLean, Robert, mariner, Morrow Lane
McLean, Robert, water and sanitary inspector, The Waterworks
McLean, Robert E., solicitor, Plasmerdyn
McMullan, Patrick, Churchfield
McMurray, Mrs., 4 Annaville
McMurray, Wm. J., Stewart's Place
McNaught, Andrew, Church View
McVea, James B., 4 Anchor Lodge
Neeson, Mrs., Maormor, Cultra
Neeson, William, carpenter, Church Street
Neill, James, 7 High Street
Nelson, John, Seapark Terrace
Nelson, Omar C., solicitor, Doone House, Cultra
Newell, William, Church View
Nimick, sen., William, builder and contractor, 31 High Street
Nimick, jun., William, Prospect Terrace
Noble, Thomas, pensioner, 40 Shore Street
Norton, Valentine, Downshire Road
O'Brien, John, butler, Downshire Road
O'Flaherty, Francis H., Rosavo, Cultra
O'Laverty, P.P., M.R.I.A., Rev. James
O'Neill, Miss, Church View
Orr, William J., bank official, 5 Hibernia Terrace
Osborne, M.A., Rev. Henry, The Manse, Church Avenue
Osborne, Thomas Edens, Cultra Cottages
Oulton, Mrs., 111 High Street
Parker, Colonel, Inglesdene, Cultra
Parker, Mrs., Beechcroft Villas
Parsons, Mrs., 6 Church View
Patterson, D. C., Princess Gardens on-the-Sea
Patterson, Fanny, 29 High Street
Patterson, Mrs. Elizabeth, The Cottage, Stewart's Place
Patterson, George, saddler, 69a High Street
Patterson, Mrs. Isabella, lodgings, 25 High Street
Patterson, J.P., Richard, Kilmore
Patterson, J.P., Robert Lloyd, Croft House
Patterson, Susanna, Downshire Road
Patterson & Barr, family grocers, 42 High Street
Patton, David, shoe maker, 16 High Street
Patton, Hugh, shoe maker, Church Street
Patty, Alexander, provision dealer, 5 Shore Street
Patty, Charles, mariner, Strand Street
Patty, James, flesher, 61 High Street
Patty, John, flesher, 71, 73 High Street
Payne, Mrs., Beechcroft Villas
Peel, Mrs. Mary, 20 High Street
Peppard, John, Stewart's Place
Phillips, William H., Lemonfield
Pink, Miss, dress maker, Church View
Pirrie, Mrs., Ward's Cottages, Marino
Pirrie, Wm., Woodleigh, Marino
Pomeroy, Joseph, game and provision dealer, 62 High Street
Porter, Thomas, Mayfield Cottage, Cultra
Porter, Thomas T., postmaster, post office, 55 High Street
Praegar, Mrs., Woodburn
Pratt, Wm. N., Spafield
Prendergast, Robert H., Church Avenue
Prenter, Robert, Ballymenoch
Priestly, Robert, Downshire Road
Pugh, James E., 3 Ivy Place, Esplanade
Purdy, David, 1 Gloucester Terrace
Purdy, Mrs., 4 Hibernia Street
Purdon, Edward S., Martello Terrace
Quail, James, 2 Marine Parade
Quin, Mrs., Quinnville Terrace
Quinn, Jane, 80 High Street
Rankin, Hugh, 2 Ivy Place, Esplanade
Rea, Rev. George T., Glenside Terrace
Rea, James, gardener, Spencer Street
Rea, James, shoe maker, Church View
Rea, Miss, Croft Cottage
Rea, Miss Sarah, lodgings, 6 Church Street
Read, Miss, Millmoat
Reid, Miss, Select School, 3 Hibernia Street
Reid, Wm. J., 1 Riverside Terrace
Rice, Felix, Staunton Place
Ringland, Mrs., Concrete Villas, Cultra
Roberts, Mrs., 34 Church Street
Robinson, Ernest, Coilmara Villas, Cultra
Robinson, Hugh, Woodview
Robinson, Sarah, milliner, 4 Shore Street
Robinson, Thomas, painter, Downshire Road
Robinson, J.P., Wm. A., Culloden, Cultra
Roden, Mrs., Cultra
Rodgers, Wm., Belfast Bar, 11 High Street
Rodman, John, 34 Church Street
Rodman, Wm., Riverside
Roe, Miss, The Bazaar, 14 Shore Street
Rogan, Arthur, caretaker, Masonic Hall
Ross, George, Coilmara Villas, Cultra
Royal Belfast Golf Club House, The Kinnegar, Mrs. Loughman, caretaker
Rusk, Arthur, Woodleigh, Marino
Russell, J. W., Ardmore Terrace
Ryan, John, Sullivan Street
Samuels, Joseph, 5 Hibernia Street
Sands, James, 1 Pierview Terrace
Seavey, Miss, music teacher, Downshire Road
Scott, Miss, 88 High Street
Scott, Mrs., 5 Marine Parade
Sedgwick, Richard, 16 Church Street
Sedgwick, Wm., shoe maker, 10 & 12 Church Street
Shanks, Alexander, 119 High Street
Shanks, John, general merchant, High Street and Church Street
Shannon, James, mariner, 29 Shore Street
Shannon, James, The Esplanade
Shannon, Hugh, 19 Shore Street
Shannon, Philip, dealer, Stewart's Place
Shaw, Mrs., Bellevue
Shaw, William, Loughview House
Siberry, Edward J. S., 21 Church Street
Simms, John, Clermont
Sinclair-Weymss, Captain R. D., 2nd Gordon Highlanders, Ardtullagh
Skillen, Hugh, 9 Shore Street
Skillen, James, 48 Church Street
Sloan, Hugh, car owner, Church View
Smith, William, Brook House
Smith, William, plumber, 78 High Street
Smyth, John, Woodview
Solomon, Frederick, Quinville Terrace
Sparks, Robert E., solicitor, Plasmerdyn
Speers, B.Sch., Adam, principal Sullivan Upper school, Riversdale
Stannus, Anthony C., Tudor Park
Steele, Mrs. Anne, grocer, Downshire Road
Steele, John, Woodleigh, Marino
Steele, Mrs., Spencer Street
Steele, Mrs. Sarah, Downshire Road
Stephens, M., baker, Stewart's Place
Stephens, Wm. H., Martello Terrace
Stewart, David, Quinville Terrace
Stewart, Mrs. Eliza, 16 Shore Street
Stewart, Mrs. Margaret, 5 High Street
Stitt, Miss Maria, Glenside Place
Stokes, Wm. J., Seaview Terrace
Thompson, Miss L., 2 Hibernia Terrace
Thompson, Miss, 4 Riverside Terrace
Thompson, Mrs. M. J., 2 Walmer Terrace
Thorne, Miss, Benown
Tinley, John G., 1 Hibernia Terrace
Titterington, Alex., watch maker, Church View
Toal, Francis, Byron Street
Todd, James, Villa Nova
Torney, William, Glenside Place
Trimble, Miss B., Seaview Terrace
Turtle, Mrs. Agnes, Quinville Terrace
Vance, Gilbert B., Ballymenoch
Vance, Miss, 28 High Street
Vinycomb, John, 3 Riverside Terrace
Wallace, Hugh, car owner, Downshire Road
Wallace, Margaret, Church View
Ward, Miss, Lower Martello Terrace
Waters, Austin, town clerk, 18 Hibernia Street
White, Miss, Seaview Cottage
Williams, C. D., Lillieslea, Cultra
Williams, John, Fernbank
Williames, W. E., 14 Marine Parade
Williamson, Miss, Craigmore
Williamson, Mrs., Church View
Wills, George C., 34 Shore Street
Willis, Mrs. J., 12 High Street
Wilson, Alex. Basil, Martello Terrace
Wilson, Charles A., 130 High Street
Wilson, Jane, Spencer Street
Wilson, Mrs., Ward's Cottages, Marino
Wilson, Thomas, shoe maker, 10 Church Street
Wilson, Thomas H., Ward's Cottages, Marino
Wilson, W. W., Auburn Villa
Woods, Edward, 36 Church Street
Woods, George, Pierview Cottage
Woods, Peter, Downshire Cottage
Woodside, John, M.D., Downshire Road
Woodside, John, Spencer Street
Woodside, Thomas, Spencer Street
Wormald, Thomas F., 6 High Street
Young, James, farmer, Ballykeel
Young, Robert, Hillbrook

_______________________________________

KEADY

          Is a small market and post town, six miles S.S.W. from Armagh, situated on the river Callen, on the road to Castleblayney. It has been placed under the Towns' Improvement Act since January, 1862. The manufacture of linen is carried on to a considerable extent in the neighbourhood, and in the town are three flax spinning mills and three corn mills immediately adjoining. The places of worship are the Episcopal Church, churches for Presbyterian and Wesleyan Methodists, and a Roman Catholic Chapel. The town was first lighted with gas on the 20th February, 1853. Markets for corn are held on Monday and Thursday and on Friday for general commodities. Fairs, the second Friday in every month. Population, 1881, 1598.

Post Office - Alex. Small, post master. Mails from Dublin and all parts of the South, likewise from England, arrive every morning at 6-45 ; and are despatched every morning at 10-40, and every evening at 8-10. Letters from Scotland, via Armagh, arrive every day at 2-30, and are despatched every morning at 10-40 and every evening at 8-10
Petty Sessions every alternate Thursday
Magistrates - W. A. Irwin, John Douglas, Wm. McKean, Major Thomas Simpson, Thomas Small, and John Hughes
Constabulary Station - Sergeant Reid

Places of Worship

Church of Ireland - Rev. M. B. Hogg
First Presbyterian Church - Rev. Henry W. Carson, D.D.  Second Presbyterian Church - Rev. Geo. Steen
Wesleyan Church - Various ministers
Roman Catholic Chapel - Rev. P. Kelly, P.P.; Rev. Quinn, C.C.; Rev. Patrick Vallely, Rev. John McArdle

Public Institutions

Northern Bank - Samuel Johnston, manager; A. Whitford, cashier
Parochial National School - R. McKenna, teacher
National School - J. Patterson, teacher
Roman Catholic School - Edward Quin, teacher
Roman Catholic School - Girls - The Nuns of St. Clare, teachers
Dispensary - John Gower Allen, M.D., surgeon, dispensary doctor

Inhabitants
(1)

Allen, John Gower, surgeon
Carson, Rev. Henry W., D.D.
Hogg, Rev. M. B., rector
Kelly, Rev. P., P.P.
McArdle, Rev. John
Quinn, Rev. P., C.C.
Steen, Rev. George
Vallely, Rev. Patrick

Inhabitants
(2)

Acheson, John, joiner
Boyle, James, shoe maker
Boyle, J., boot maker
Callaghan, Ann, grocer
Callaghan, Owen, grocer
Campbell, A., hotel
Campbell, John W., publican
Campbell, Peter, hotel keeper
Carbery, J., corn dealer
Carvil, Francis, publican and car owner
Casey, Nancy, green grocer
Cassidy, Bros., saddlers
Clark, Mrs., spirit dealer
Connolly, John, baker
Conroy, John, sen., grocer
Conroy, John, grocer and spirit dealer
Cunningham, John, blacksmith
Cunningham, John, nailer
Curry, P., general dealer
Daly, Anthony, baker
Duffy, Francis, entertainment and lodging
Dumigan, Mrs., spirit dealer
Eccles, H., spirit and provision dealer
Eccles, J. J., undertaker
Eccles, R. I. & Co., grocers and seedsmen
English, J., draper and publican
Feighan, Felix, grocer
Feighan, Mrs., haberdasher and draper
Feighan, John, shoe maker
Finlay, Luke, watch maker
Frikelton, Mrs., dress maker
Gallagher, John, saddler
Gillespie, F., summons server
Graham, Mrs., woollen draper
Heanon, J., butcher
Hollywood, Patrick, draper
Houston, John, grocer
Hughes, B., earthenware
Hughes, F., grocer
Hughes, John, J.P., draper
Hughes, Patrick, baker
Hughes, M., linen dyer
Kane, Wm. & Son, general ropers
Kavanagh, Charles, spirit merchant
Kerr, John, grocer and spirit dealer
Kirk, Wm., & partners, linen manufacturers
Malone, Charles, baker
Moan, P., spirit dealer
McAfee, Mrs., muslin agent
McArthur, Mrs., general ware
McAteer, John, blacksmith
McAughey, James, tailor
McBride, Joseph, baker and grocer
McCabe, Samuel, painter and grocer
McCall, J., tax collector
McCardle, James, marine store keeper
McCormick, A. & W. F., general grocers
McCrory, James, nail maker
McGinn, Mrs., & Sons, butchers
McGroary, James, nailer
McGurk, James, painter and glazier
McIlroy, Mrs., dress maker
McKee, Michael, victualler
McKenna, John
McKinney, J., spirit dealer
McKnight, Wm., boot maker
McKnight, Patrick, shoe maker
McShane, L., beam master
McWhirter, Mrs.
Nicholson, Francis and John, grocers and undertakers
Nugent, E., provision dealer
Nugent, Paul, public carrier
Quinn, E., clerk to commissioners
Reaney, John, joiner
Reilly, W. J., haberdasher and general grocer
Reynolds, P., spirit dealer
Shaw, James, joiner
Shaw, Mrs., dress maker
Small, A. & S., drapers and tailoring establishment
Thompson, J., boot maker
Thompson, Mrs., haberdasher
Thompson, Robert, petty sessions clerk and stamp office
Traynor, James, gardener
Vallely, John, joiner
Waddell, R., grocer
Walker, J., grocer
Wilson, George, shoe maker
Woods, B. & T., grocers and publicans
Woods, O., spirit dealer and car proprietor
Woods, James, grocer and spirit dealer

Conveyances

Cars leave Keady for Armagh at 7-45 and 10 a.m., 3-45 and 8 p.m., to catch 9-27 a.m., 3, 5, and 10-30 p.m. trains respectively for Belfast; arriving from Armagh at 7 a.m., 12-15, 2-30, and 8-30 p.m.; leave for Castleblayney at 3 p.m.; arriving from Castleblayney at 10.30 a.m.

______________________________________

KILKEEL

          The flourishing town of Kilkeel is situated near the Southern extremity of the County of Down, in the Barony of Mourne, and half a mile from the open coast. The town - which is composed of five streets: Newry Street, Greencastle Street, Quay Street, Bridge Street, and Newcastle Street - contains 1,452 inhabitants. Generally, the houses are well built; and in Greencastle Street several handsome residences have been lately erected. The sanitary state of the town is most satisfactory. The religious edifices are - The Parish Church, two Presbyterian Churches, a Moravian Church, and a Roman Catholic Chapel. In the town there is a branch of the Belfast Bank, the Workhouse of the Kilkeel Union, a Post Office, a Police Barrack, a Courthouse, and two excellent Hotels. Petty Sessions are held on the last Tuesday in each month, the local magistrates being - Earl Kilmorey, Mourne Park; J. Q. Henry, Esq., The Abbey; J. Walmsley, Esq., Ballykeel House; and John Orr, Esq., Kilkeel. The shopkeepers in the town are courteous and energetic, and furnish all requisites of the best quality for family use. A great number of vessels discharge cargoes of coal at the pier, which has been of great advantage to the people of the district. Kilkeel boasts of a large number of good fishing luggers, and the hardy fishermen pursue their remunerative calling with praiseworthy perseverance. About twelve minutes' walk from Kilkeel there is a splendid strand. In the future this beautiful bay is likely to attract large numbers of health seekers. Indeed, it would now be a favourable resort if suitable cottages were erected along the shore. The scenery of the district is remarkably grand, and tourists' trips through it, by cars, organized by Mr. H. Matier, are becoming increasingly popular.

Post Office - Mrs. McDermott-Roe, postmistress, and commissioner for taking affidavits

Places of Worship

Parish Church - Rev. T. H. Abrahall, rector
Presbyterian Church - Rev. W. McMordie; Second Presbyterian, Rev. R. White
Moravian Meeting house - Rev. J. Robbins
Roman Catholic Chapel - Rev. Dr. Mariner, P.P.; Rev. T. O'Donnell, C.C.
Petty Sessions Office - R. Boyd, clerk
Belfast Bank - H. P. Shaw, manager
Union Workhouse - Clerk and returning officer, Thomas Graham; master, Samuel Ormsby; matron, Mrs. Ormsby
Dispensary - Dr. Wilson

Inhabitants

Close, Mrs., Mournewood
Henry, John Q., J.P., The Abbey
Henry, The Misses
Irwin, Miss, Kilkeel
Laing, Rev. J., Albert Villa
Lucas, R., Kilkeel
Martin, Mrs., Thornmount
Moore, Lindsay, Moore Lodge
Morton, Miss, Albert Villa
McFarland, Mrs., Eastwood
McIlwain, Mrs., Kilkeel
Shannon, Mrs., Fintimara House
Stewart, Miss, Packolet
Walmesley, Andrew
Walmesley, H., The Green
Walmesley, James, Ballykeel House
Walmesley, T., Riverside

NEWRY STREET
Beck, Miss, dress maker
Bradley, Hugh, V.S. for union
Bragdon, P., baker and egg merchant
Curran, Daniel, baker and grocer
Donnelly, James, lodgings
Donaghue, James, mechanic
Hanna, George, shoe maker
Hanna, W., grocer
Higgins, P., lodgings
McGlue, Thomas, lodgings
McKee, Thomas, carter
McVea, James, ship owner and coal merchant
Ross, Ellen, publican
Sloan, Jane, publican
Sloan, R. J., draper
Small, P., grocer
Sullivan, Michael, grocer
Wightman, J., tailor

GREENCASTLE STREET
Anderson, James, draper
Annett, J., draper
Boyd, James, draper
Boyd, R., petty sessions clerk
Clarke, Miss, dress maker
Corry, A., publican and seed merchant
Crutchley, W., draper and leather merchant
Cunningham, Mrs., draper
Curragh, Mrs., draper
Doran, H., car driver
Fearon, J., grocer
Fleming, W., draper
Graham, John, boot merchant
Graham, T., clerk of union
Gills, Thomas, hotel proprietor, Kilmorey Arms
Gordon, W., grocer
Green, S., draper
Hillis, Mrs., dress maker
Matier, H. A. (Norton & Co.'s car service)
Martin, Mrs., publican
Mitchell, Mrs., confectioner
Mulligan, Miss, china and glass warehouse
McCann, O., shipping agent
McCann, Thomas, fancy goods dealer
McCulla, George, blacksmith
McDermott-Roe, Mrs., postmistress
McKnight, George, publican
Orr, Andrew, merchant and agent for Belfast News-Letter, Belfast Weekly News, and Newry Telegraph
O'Hagan, Mrs., publican
Sloan, W., baker

BRIDGE STREET
Annett, George, draper
Clarke, W., saddler
Gordon, A., draper
Morgan, James, merchant
Shannon, Mrs., general warehouse
Walmesley, H., saddler

NEWCASTLE STREET
Annett, C., grocer
Annett, jun., J., hotel proprietor & auctioneer
Baird, John, tailor
Berry, J., watch maker
Bingham, John, carpenter
Burns, Edward, saddler
Doyle, J., draper and coal merchant
Flanigan, Sarah, publican
Hanna, Wm., shoe maker
Irwin, J., shoe maker
Kenmuir, E., painter
McKee, Mrs., grocer
Newel, C., grocer
Quinn, J., blacksmith
Reynolds, Mrs., dress maker
Russell, Edward, dealer in fancy goods
Wilson, T., painter
Walmsley, George, saddler

THE SQUARE
Cunningham, Mrs., draper
Doran, Arthur, car driver
Ferguson, W., shoe shop
McCartan, Mrs., publican
Newel, W., publican
Orr, R., publican
Orr, John, J.P., merchant
O'Hagan, P., bakery
Small, Joseph, boot maker

SHORE ROAD
Grills, Joseph, grocer
Maginnis, P., refreshment rooms
Morgan, A., grocer
McConvill, D., barber
McKee, W., boat owner
McMullan, James, grocer
McMurray, W., draper
McNeill, J. T., printer
O'Hare, T., butcher
O'Brien, P., stone cutter
Sloan, W., grocer

MOUNTAIN ROAD
Collins, J., draper
Haugh, Thomas, draper
McConville, John, butcher
McKee, Thomas, potato merchant
Wangh, Thomas, draper (Waugh)
Wightman, Mrs., grocer

______________________________________

KILLYLEAGH

          A seaport and formerly a market town and Parliamentary borough, in the County Down, about sixteen miles S.E. from Belfast, situated at the head of a creek on the West shore of Strangford Lough, on the road from Downpatrick to Belfast. There are two extensive linen yarn spinning mills, containing 40,000 spindles and employing 1,500 hands. The Hamiltons, created Lords Clandeboye, and subsequently Earls of Clanbrassil, formerly resided in an ancient castle at one extremity of the town. It is now the residence of the Hamilton family, who, with Lord Dufferin, own the town and estate contiguous. The magistrates assemble in Petty Sessions monthly. The church is a handsome cruciform structure, with a tower, surmounted by a spire of good proportions. It was originally erected in 1640, in 1812 was re-built, and has lately been much extended. There are two Presbyterian Churches, a Methodist Chapel, a Roman Catholic Chapel, and two National Schools. Sir Hans Sloan, the celebrated naturalist and physician, was born here on the 16th April, 1660, and the house in which he was born, in Back Street, was some years ago taken down, and another erected in its stead. The market was formerly held every Friday. The Downpatrick Branch of the Ulster Bank have ab agency here on every Friday. Fairs, 10th April and 11th October. Shrigley Mills and the town contained, 1869, 2,730 inhabitants. Shrigley Mill, the site of one of the flax spinning mills adjoining Killyleagh, has a population of 1,021; former proprietor, John Martin, Esq., J.P., now owned by a Limited Liability Company, under the title of John Martin Limited. There is attached to the mill an infant school, and mixed school, under the National Board. Patron, Lachlan MacLaine, Esq. The income from house property alone at Shrigley Mill is upwards of a thousand pounds annually. This village was erected by the late J. Martin, Esq., and the houses are all occupied by the workers of John Martin Limited. The mill, schools, and dwellings would well repay the inspection of visitors; they are, indeed, an ornament and credit to any neighbourhood. Population 1881, 1835

Places of Worship

Church of Ireland - Parish Church, Churchhill Street - Rev. Richard Ray, A.B., rector
First Presbyterian Church, Plantation Lane - Rev. J. R. McCleery, Riversdale Manse.  Second Presbyterian Church, Cross Street - Rev. A. McCreery, Seaside Manse
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shore Street - Ministers various
Roman Catholic Chapel, Irish Street - Rev. John Magill, C.C.

Public Institutions

National School and Lecture Room, in connexion with Second Presbyterian Congregation, Irish Street - John Davidson, teacher; Miss Gilmore and Miss Montgomery, assistants
National School - Robert Thompson and Mrs. McMeekan, teachers
Killyleagh Gas Co. (Limited) - Capital, 2,000
Post and Stamp Office, High Street - H. S. Guiney, postmaster and distributor
Constabulary Station, Shore Street
Masonic Hall, Cross Street
Orange Hall, Irish Street
Cooke Memorial Hall, Plantation Street

Inhabitants

Bailie, Major James, J.P., Ringdufferin
Carr, Joseph, Gocean
Davison, Miss E., Dunmore
Douglas, Captain
Dufferin and Ava, Right Hon. Earl of
Frazer, W. J., manager Shrigley Mill
Gordon, Alexander, Delamont and Florida
Hamilton, Gawn R., J.P., D.L., Killyleagh Castle
Hay, James, J.P., Annsfield
Heron, Francis, Irish Street and Ardigon House
Heron, James, J.P., Tullyveery House
Howe, Thomas S., J.P., agent to the Dufferin Estate
Lindsay, Wm., horticulturist and nurseryman
Lowry, James, Maymore
MacLaine, Lachlan, director of John Martin (Limited), Killyleagh
McCleery, Rev. J. R., Riversdale Manse
McCreery, Rev. A., Seaside Manse
McLaren, John, mill manager
O'Neill, Charles, M.D.
Orr, Adam, M.D., surgeon, High Street
Ray, Rev. Richard, M.A.
Ringland, S. B., Ballytrim House
Shaw, Wm. C., surgeon and apothecary, High Street
Sinton, Arthur, Dufferin Place
Sproule, R. H., M.D. and surgeon, medical officer of dispensary, Catherine Street

Inhabitants

BACK STREET
Carr, Mrs. John, Dufferin Place
Clerk, Henry, shoe maker
Dick, John, grocer
Gordon, Arthur, mechanic
Gibson, Isaac, spinning master
Hamilton, John, stone mason
Howe, Mrs. Wm., Dufferin Place
Magilton, R. J., baker
Morrow, Charles, grocer
McCardell, John, haberdasher
McCrea, Allen, tinsmith
Skillen, Robert, seaman
Sullivan, James, reeling master
Thompson, Robert, teacher N.S.

CATHERINE STREET
Boyd, Jacob, boatman
Field, Miss, dress maker and shop keeper
Keenan, Patrick, grocer
Magrath, Mrs.
Morrison, Michael, baker
McCausland, John, merchant and ship owner
McCausland, James, hotel
Ogle, John, carpenter
Patterson, The Misses
Shiel, Mrs. Dr.
Tweedie, J. F., carpenter

CHURCHILL STREET
Gibson, James, carpenter
Holland, Mrs. James
Holland, Joseph, coachman

CROSS STREET
Bain, James, hair dresser
Carnaghan, Richard, spinning master
Hamilton, Geddis, posting establishment
Morrow, John, spirit dealer and tailor
McKee, Mary, grocer
McKnight, John, carpenter
Neil, John, nursery man
Nelson, Miss, milliner
Robinson, John, carding master
Shaw, Finlay, shoe maker
Skillen, Mrs.
Sutherland, Alexander, carpenter

HIGH STREET
Bailie, Mrs.
Barr, Wm., flesher
Bell, Robert, spirit dealer
Calvert, Thomas, grocer
Carlisle, Robert, grocer
Clelland, George, spirit dealer
Davison, Miss, grocer
Donnan, Robert, tailor
Falkner, James, hardware merchant
Field, Alexander, ship owner
Field, Mary
Frazer, Mrs., grocer
Furey, Francis, merchant
Furey, Wm., grocer
Guiney, H. S., postmaster, haberdasher, and woollen draper
Hall, William, saddler
Hart, R., draper
Heaney, James, hairdresser
Irvine, Eliza, grocer
Lawther, The Misses, milliners
Lowry, Mrs. H., haberdasher and draper
Martin, Alex., grocer
Mathews, John, tailor
McCutcheon, David, jeweller
O'Halloran, Miss, haberdasher
Patterson, R. & D. R., spirit dealers & grocers
Patterson, Miss, milliner
Shaw, Mrs. William
Stotharts, Alexander, posting establishment
Watson, Robert, spirit dealer

IRISH STREET
Davidson, John, teacher N.S.
Flynn, Andrew, fireman
Heron, Francis
Magill, Wm., flax dresser
McClurg, Thomas, spinning master
McConnell, Miss
O'Neill, Samuel, dealer
Rea, John, grocer
Scott, Wm. John, machinist
Wilson, James, flax dresser

SHORE STREET
Bates, Robert, mechanic
Bridges, Samuel, flax dresser
Cochran, William, boatman
Dines, George
Gibson, William, ship owner
Jamieson, Misses, dress makers
Kelly, Wm., flax dresser
Magill, John
Magill, Samuel, flax dresser
Maginn, Henry, yachtman
McCabe, John, dealer
McClurg, A., grocer and ship owner
McClurg, Adam
McDonald, Mrs.
McMeekin, Mrs., assistant teacher N.S.
McMillan, Miss, milliner
McMillan, Thomas, seaman
Nicholson, James, dealer
Nicholson, William
Roy, Hugh, blacksmith
Scott, Andrew, shoe maker
Sturgeon, George, boatman

(A)  (B)  (C)  (D)  this page (E G H K)  (L)  (M N)  (OPR)  (STW)