to BSD Index
Borough of Belfast Part
Sir Hugh McCalmont Cairns, Q.C., 79 Eaton
Place, London, S W.
Samuel Gibson Getty, Esq., Belfast
CORPORATION OF BELFAST
The Municipal Act came into operation on the 1st of November 1842
Mayors from 1842 to 1860
|George Dunbar, Esq.,
John Clarke, Esq.,
Andrew Mulholland, Esq.,
John Kane, Esq. (deceased)
John Harrison, Esq. (deceased)
Geo. Suffern, Esq. (deceased)
Sir Wm. G. Johnson, Kt.
|Jas. Stirling, Esq. (deceased)
S. G. Fenton, Esq.,
Wm. McGee, Esq., MD.,
Frederick Harry Lewis, Esq.,
Captain Thomas Verner
Samuel Gibson Getty, Esq.,
Wm. Ewart, jun., Esq.,
Mayor for 1861 - Edward Coey, Esq.
Aldermen and Town Councillors for 1861
James Carlisle, Donegall Street.
George Coates, York Street.
Wm. John Johnston, Ann Street.
Wm. Cowan Heron, Albert Square.
William Bell, York Street.
James Baxter Ferguson, Unity Street.
Alexander McLaine, Corporation Street.
Wm. H. Malcolm, Donegall Quay.
John Lytle, North Street.
John Preston, Donegall Square West.
John Workman, Bedford Street.
James Cochran, Castle Place.
Samuel Gibson Getty, MP., JP., Donegall Square South.
Alexander Dickson, Castle Place.
John Charters, Falls Road.
Robert Patterson, High Street.
St. Anne's Ward
William Mullan, Victoria Street.
William Ewart, jun., Donegall Place.
Robert Thomas McGeagh, Castle Place.
John Hamill, Trench House, Falls.
David Taylor, Bridge Street.
Theobald Bushell, JP., Rosemary Street.
Samuel Boyd, Donegall Street.
Robert Roddy, Donegall Street.
St. George's Ward
Edward Coey, JP., Gamble Street.
Thomas Sinclair, JP., Tomb Street.
John Getty McGee, High Street.
Isaac James Murphy, Glengall Place.
Robert Boag, High Street.
Samuel Black, Castle Place.
Henry Jones McCance, Donegall Square North.
William Bottomley, Calender Street.
Charles Lanyon, Wellington Place.
William Dunville, Calender Street.
Archibald Kirker, Cromac Street.
Conway B. Grimshaw, Waring Street.
Adam Duffin, Windsor.
Robert Lindsay, Victoria Street.
Victor Coates, Lagan and Prince's Dock Foundries.
Robert Atkinson, Hill Street.
Town Clerk - James Guthrie; offices, Town Hall;
Deputy do., Alexander McMaster.
Town Solicitor - Samuel Bruce; offices, Donegall Place.
Treasurer - John Thomson (Belfast Bank).
Surveyor of Works - William Hastings; offices, Town Hall; Assistant
Surveyor, William Brown.
Assessors for the Borough - John Workman and George Phillips.
Auditors - John R. Musgrave, 59 High Street; John Coleman, 53 York
Ward Assessors - Dock Ward - Richard Nicholl, 9 Albert Square,
merchant; James Bradford, 41 Dock Street, merchant. St. Anne's Ward -
Daniel R. Brannigan, 43 North Street, merchant; Samuel Tierney, 9 Elliott's
Court, merchant. Smithfield Ward - David Brown, 35 Castle Place,
merchant; Patk. Griffith, 35 Smithfield, merchant. St. George's Ward
- Hugh Hamilton, 37 Ann Street, merchant; James Shaw, 31 Ann Street,
merchant. Cromac Ward - Thomas H. Brown, Chichester Street, merchant;
George Clotworthy, 38 Tomb Street, merchant.
Superintendent of Police and Fire Brigade - Captain E. M. Shaw.
Accountant and Cashier - James Rea; Assistant do., John Kerr.
Clerk of the Markets - James Spratt; office, Castle Lane.
Chief Constables - Thomas Green and James McKittrick.
Sergeants-at-mace - J. Crawford and William Arbuckle.
The Committees of Town Council of Belfast for the year
Committee on Police Affairs - David Taylor, chairman;
James Carlisle, John Hamill, Theobald Bushell, Robert Atkinson, James
Cochrane, Robert T. McGeagh, Robert Boag, William Bell, William Bottomley,
David Taylor, William John Johnston, Samuel Black, William C. Heron.
- This committee meets every Thursday at Twelve o'clock in the Town
Hall, Police Buildings.
Town Improvement Committee - William Mullan, chairman; Wm. Dunville,
James Carlisle, John Preston, William Mullan, Robt. Patterson, Alexander
Mclaine, William Ewart, jun., Robert Lindsay, William Bell, Charles Lanyon,
John Hamill, William Bottomley, Robert Boag, John Lytle, Victor Coates -
This Committee meets only when specially summoned.
Market Committee - James B. Ferguson, chairman; Robert Lindsay,
Archibald Kirker, John Charters, John G. McGee, W. H. Malcolm, Geo. Coates,
Alex. Dickson, Samuel Boyd, James Cochran, Robert Patterson, James B.
Ferguson, John Hamill, Henry J. McCance - This Committee meets every
Saturday as Eleven o'clock at the Town Hall.
Finance Committee - Robert Lindsay, chairman; William Ewart, jun.,
John Lytle, R. T. McGeagh, John Charters, William Mullan, Robert Roddy,
William Bottomley, William Dunville, David Taylor, Isaac J. Murphy, R.
Atkinson, C. B. Grimshaw, Victor Coates - Thos Committee meets in the Town
Hall every alternate Monday at Twelve o'clock.
Audit Committee - John Preston, chairman; Wm. Dunville, J. G. McGee,
W. C. Heron, James Cochran, W. J. Johnston, Samuel Black, Robert Roddy,
Henry J. McCance, John Workman, Alexander Dickson, Samuel Boyd - This
Committee meets in the Town Hall every Monday at Eleven o'clock.
In addition to these Committees are the following:- The Appeal; The Bye-Law;
The General Purposes; Law and Grand Jury; and Revision.
Public Officers etc.
Coroner - J. K. Jackson, 21 Donegall Place.
High Constable for Upper Half Barony of Belfast - Robert T. Goddard;
office, Queen Street.
Church Wardens - Adam Dickey, 91 Donegall Street; and Robert Taylor,
3 Castle Lane.
Public Weigh Houses - Smithfield, Great George's Street and May's
BELFAST HARBOUR COMMISSIONERS
Incorporated in 1785, by the Act 25th George lll., cap.
64, for the improvement of the port and harbour; meet at the Harbour Office,
Corporation Square every first and third Tuesday at 12 o'clock.
LIST OF COMMISSIONERS
The Marquis of Donegall, President; the Rev. Lord Edward
Chichester; the Mayor of Belfast.
Vacate the first Thursday in February 1862 - Messrs. Robert
Patterson, Robert Henderson, John Workman, James Hamilton and Robt. Corry.
Vacate the first Thursday in February 1863 - Messrs. John Clarke (chairman),
E. Coey, J. Carlisle, J. Macaulay and W. J. Young.
Vacate in February 1864 - Messrs. Samuel G. Getty, MP., Thomas Sinclair,
Jonathan Cordukes, Samuel McCausland and Robert Boyd.
HARBOUR COMMISSIONERS' OFFICERS
William Thompson, secretary; Wm. E. Young, cashier; Henry
McCord, O'Connell Shaw, Henry Fleming, Henry J. Hill, Edward Cobain and A.
Cochran, clerks; Wm. Hartley, examining accountant; Captain White, pilot and
harbour master; Alexander Craig, Alexander O'Neill, George Montgomery and
Hugh Rankin, deputy harbour master; Samuel Irvine, John McCutcheon and Henry
McClean, pilot masters; Samuel Shaw, clerk of delivery; John Campbell and
Samuel D. Barrett, clerks of Prince's Dock; George Smith, engineer; Richard
Allen, clerk to engineer; James Thompson, general foreman; Walker and
Burgess, consulting engineers, London; James Torrens, solicitor; Edward H.
Agents for Lloyd's, Sinclair & Boyd, Donegall Quay.
CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
Office, 36 Waring Street
First established in 1783 and remodelled in 1848 for the
advancement of commerce and manufacturers in Belfast and it's neighbourhood,
the protection of the trading interests of the community and the arbitration
of commercial matters in dispute.
COUNCIL FOR 1861
President - John Hind
Vice-Presidents - Thomas Sinclair and Wm. Ewart, jun.
Retire in 1862
* Philip Johnston
Retire in 1863
Wm. Ewart, jun.
John Hunter, jun.
* John Herdman
Retire in 1864
Edwd. H. Clarke
R. S. Lepper
* James Bristow
Retire in 1865
J. Isaac Weinberg
Treasurer, Edward Coey. + Secretary, Samuel Vance.
* Ex-officio members of Council, being Presidents 1858-59-60.
+ Ex-officio member of Council, from being Treasurer.
BELFAST WATER COMMISSIONERS
Office, 19 Rosemary Street
Established by Act of Parliament, in the year 1840, to
supply the Town of Belfast with water. The new water works are situated near
the Antrim Road; the old, a short way Southward of the Botanic Road. The
Commissioners sit every Thursday, for the dispatch of business, at 10
o'clock, at the Board Room.
|R. F. Dill, MD.
R. T. McGeagh
|R. M. Carson
James Thompson, Engineer; William Stewart, Secretary and Clerk; Hugh
Andrews, Inspector; Edward Henderson, Assistant Inspector; J. Henderson and
James Coates, Collectors.
BELFAST BANKING COMPANY
Head Office, Donegall Street - Capital, £500,000
Formed in 1827 by the merging of two private banks, It's
capital is £500,000, in 5,000 shares of £100 each, all of which have been
issued. £125,00 was paid in three calls, making £25 per share paid up.
There was a bonus of £10,000 declared in 1830, £10,000 in 1834, £5,000 in
1847, £5,000 in 1850, £5,000 in 1851, £2,500 in 1852, £5,000 in 1853, £10,000
in 1854, £10,000 in 1856 and £10,000 in 1857. The fixed issue of the bank
is £281,611. The notes are payable at the place of issue. Interest is
allowed on deposits for a term of three months. The rates of annual dividend
to the shareholders have been - Five per cent, from 1st August 1827, till
1st February 1835. Six per cent from 1st February 1835, till 1st
February 1836. Seven percent from 1st February 1836, till 1st February 1846.
Eight per cent from 1st February 1846, till 1st August 1854. Twelve per cent
from 1st August 1854, till 1st February 1861.
John Thompson, Esq.
Thomas G. Batt, Esq.
E. H. Clarke, Esq.
Robert Trotter, Esq., General Manager.
Thomas Wann, Esq., Assistant Manager.
BOARD OF SUPERINTENDENCE
W. S. Mitchell
James G. Bell.
BRANCHES AND MANAGERS
R. G. Wallace
Thomas A. Vesey
W. C. Joyce
R. O. Blackader
H. M. Pentland
Massy H. Morphy
W. J. Mines
J. Walker & Sons
James McFarland, jun.
William L. Victor
|Dublin, Bank of Ireland
London, H. & J. Johnston & Co., and Glyn & Co.
Liverpool, Bank of Liverpool
Manchester, Manchester and Liverpool District Bank
Birmingham, Birmingham Banking Company
Leeds, W. Williams, Brown & Co.
Sheffield, Sheffield Banking Co.
|Edinburgh, Glasgow &c., Commercial
Bank of Scotland & Branches
Bristol, Sir W. Miles, Bart & Co.,
Whitehaven, Whitehaven Joint Stock Bank
Preston, Pedder, Fleetwood & Co.,
Workington, Cockermouth, Maryport, Wigton, Carlisle, Penrith, The
Cumberland Union Bank
Newcastle-on-Tyne, Woods & Co.
ULSTER BANKING COMPANY
Head Office, Waring Street.
Capital, £1,000,000 in 100,000 Shares of £10 each; 25 per cent. paid up.
Commenced business in July 1836. It's capital is £100,000,
in 100,000 shares of £10 each, on which £184,000 has been paid up. The
fixed issue is £311,079. Interest is paid on deposits. The dividend to the
shareholders is 9 per cent. per annum. The new Head Office on Waring Street,
which was completes and opened for business in 1860, is a model of
architectural taste and elegance. It is after a competitive design by an
eminent Glasgow architect. The contractors for the work were Messrs. D.
& J. Fulton, of Belfast, and the stone carving, which is at once
elaborate and beautiful, was executed by Messrs. T. & W., Fitzpatrick,
of Wellington Place. The front elevation, which is of commanding height, is
of the composite style, and nobly classic in it's effect. The leading
features are two series of graceful columns, in pairs, the lower forming the
portico, which is approached by a flight of steps - the exquisite dressings
of the windows, the keystones to the architraves being heads from the
antique - the entablatures, friezes and a massive cornice, surmounted by a
group of three symbolic figures, that in the center in an upright attitude
and the supporters recumbent, the whole having the form and appearance of a
pediment - and the finely chiselled vases, or amphorae, which are disposed
along the top range of the building. The material used in the facade is
Scotch freestone, of the most approved quality and colour. The cash and
discount office, and the other arrangements of the interior of the Bank, are
magnificent in design, and in execution are not surpassed by those of any
similar edifice in Ireland.
Robert Grimshaw, James Heron and J. W. S. McCance, Esqs.
|W. J. C. Allen, Faunoran (Chairman)
Joseph Bigger, Belfast
Robert Roddy, Belfast
Alexander Dickey, Belfast
|William Gellis, Markethill
Robert S. Lepper, Belfast
George Stuart, Carrickfergus.
Thomas Ringland, General Manager; William Thompson,
Secretary; James Wallace, Cashier.
BRANCHES AND MANAGERS
|S. F. Black
A. J. Mulligan
R. P. McKee
Robert G. Warren
James D. Mitchell
|Dublin, Royal Bank of Ireland
London, Prescott, Grote & Co., and London & Westminster
Bank & National Provincial Bank of England & Branches.
Liverpool, Bank of Liverpool, Barried & Co., North & South
Wales Bank & Branches.
Bolton, Hardcastle, Cross & Co.
Bradford, Bradford Banking Co.
Whitehaven and Wigton, Bank of Whitehaven.
Halifax, Joint stock Banking co.
Huddersfield and Dewsbury, Huddersfield Banking Company.
Hull, Hull Banking Company & Branches.
Nottingham, Nottingham & Nottinghamshire Banking Company &
Leicester, Pare's Leicestershire Banking Co. & Branches.
|Birmingham, Lloyd's & Co.
Manchester and Knutsford, Union Bank of Manchester, Manchester and
Liverpool District Bank & Branches.
Newcastle-on-Tyne, W. H. Lambton & Co., & Branches.
Leeds, Leeds Banking Company.
Sheffield and Rotherham, Sheffield Banking Company.
Rochdale, Blackburn, Stockport &c., Manchester and Liverpool
Bristol, Baillie, Baillie & Co.
Glasgow, Clydesdale Banking Co. & Branches, and City of
Glasgow Bank & Branches
Edinburgh, National Bank of Scotland & Branches.
Carlisle, Carlisle and Cumberland Bank & Branches.
Preston, Roskell, Arrowsmith & Co.
BANK OF IRELAND BRANCH OFFICE
22 Donegall Place
Agent, Edward Geoghegan, Esq. Sub-agent, R. S. Craig, Esq. Cashier, Henry K.
Reid. Notary, G. W. Braddell.
Originally established in 1783, with a
capital of £600,000, enlarged at various times, and on the renewal of the
charter in1821, was increased to £3,000,000, of which £1,615,384 was lent
to Government at 4 per cent. and £1,015,384 at 5 per cent. - total £2,630,769.
The yearly dividends of the bank have been at no less than 5 1/2 per cent.,
except in 1983-4 (huh?), when they were 5, and in 1792-3, 2 5/8. From 1800
to 1814, they were 7, 7 1/4, and 7 1/2; and from 1814 to 1829, 10 per cent.,
excepting two years; and since 1829 the rates have been 9, 8 1/2 and 8 per
cent. Besides these dividends, the proprietors at different times since
1793, have received bonuses amounting to £665,000 Irish. The increasing
business of this Bank in Belfast, having rendered additional accommodation
necessary, a new suit of offices, on an enlarged scale, and in a handsome
though not ornate style of architecture was erected in 1860, from a design
by the architect for the Bank of Ireland. The site does not admit of the
building occupying a detached position; but the front, which is of polished
granite, and highly appropriate in conception, forms a very attractive
feature in one of the most improving localities in Belfast.
BRANCHES - BANK OF IRELAND
|Thomas Dobbin, agent
Michael E. Murphy
T. C. Hone
Oliver N. Birnie
J. T. Macky
J. C. McDowell
W. F. Kennedy
|Francis Horner, agent
Edward T. Gardener
Chas. K. Magrath
Frederick B. Dearing
H. D'Olier Grant
THIS BRANCH DRAWS ON
|The Bank of Ireland & Branches
The Bank of England & Branches
The Royal Bank of Scotland & Branches
The British Linen Company & Branches
The Bank of Scotland & Branches
National Provincial Bank of England
|Manchester and Liverpool District Bank
Preston Banking Company
The West of England & South Wales District Bank
Whitehaven Joint Stock Bank
Williams & Co., Bankers
Bangor, Carnarvon & Chester
LONDON AGENTS - Bank of England and Coutts & Co. Also
draws on the English, Scottish and Australian Bank, Sydney and Melbourne;
and the Union Bank of Australia, and it's several Branches in Australia and
PROVINCIAL BANK OF IRELAND
42 Old Broad Street, London - Capital Two Million.
Belfast Branch, 36 Donegall Street.
Established in 1825, and is managed by a
board in London, assisted in the transactions at the branches by a local
manager, and one or more directors of ten shares or upwards. The paid-up
capital of the Bank is £540,000, and it's fixed issue is £927,667.
Local Director - Samuel Thompson, Esq.
Manager - William Davis, Esq. Accountant - Charles Griffith. Notary - A.
BRANCHES AND MANAGERS
St. John Purcell
John H. Lawlor
T. T. Stubbs
Jas. M. Melville
Wm. N. Rowan
Edward Day Rae
J. F. Alexander
John Wm. Clerke
Chas. C. Fitzgerald
Chas. Ross Munro
Dublin Branch - Robert Murray, Chief Officer; Alexander
Thomson Macfarlane, Sub-Agent
Correspondents on whom the Bank draws - Spooner, Attwoods & Co., London;
and all the leading towns in England and Scotland.
BELFAST SAVINGS' BANK, KING STREET
Instituted January 1816, for the receipt and
accumulation of the savings of the industrious classes. Deposits are taken
so low as 1s.(one shilling) at a time, and not more than £30 in one year
from any depositor; nor can any account be allowed to exceed £150 in all,
exclusive of interest. Thomas M. Tripp, Resident Manager;
James Neill, clerk.
Abstract of Balance, as per annual statement, furnished to the Commissioners
for the Reduction of the National Debt., Nov 20 1860:-
Dr. Balances due to
6,491 Depositors ... ... ...
... ... £159,871 2
Reserved Fund towards
payment of Expenses ... ...
248 10 7
£160,119 11 2
Cr. Lodged with the Commissioners for Reduction of
National Debt, as per
their acknowledgement in
the hands of the
Treasurer, Jas. Bristow Esq.,
... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ...
... £158,900 9 1
Balance of Cash in Treasurer's hands
... ... ... ... ...
1,419 4 1
£160,119 13 2
Edmund Creeth and Michael S. Andrews, Esqs.,
James Bristow, Esq., Treasurer; John Borthwick, Esq., J.P., Sec.
I have extracted the 6,491 balances, as above, from the ledgers of this
Bank, and hereby certify the same to be correct in every respect.
William Hartley, Auditor.
The account with the Commissioners for the Reduction of the National Debt,
from which the above statement is made, may be seen by any depositor, and
any further information obtained, by applying at the Savings' Bank, King
Street, on any Tuesday or Friday, between the hours of Ten and Three
ULSTER RAILWAY - BELFAST TO MONAGHAN
The railway runs from Belfast to Portadown,
Armagh and Monaghan. The original Act of Incorporation was passed on the
19th May 1836; a further Act was obtained on the 21st July 1845, for the
extension from Portadown to Armagh; and on the 15th June 1855, a further Act
was obtained for the extension of the railway from Armagh to Monaghan. The
share capital consists of 12,000 shares of £50 each, paid-up, and 6,000
shares of £25 each, on which £20 are paid-up. The amount authorised to be
raised on shares is £750,000, and on loan the sum of £250,000.
Total length of the railway at present open, 52 miles. The Company
also work the Portadown and Dungannon line of railway, which runs between
those two towns, the distance being 13 1/2 miles. They subscribed a sum of
£20,000 to that undertaking, under the authority of an Act of Parliament,
passed in 1856. By the 22nd and 23rd Vic., cap. 41
(1st August 1859), the Company obtained power to extend their line to
Clones, 12 1/2 miles, and to raise further capital, consisting of £225,000,
in ordinary shares (of which £40,000 may be subscribed to the Portadown,
Dungannon and Omagh line), and loans £50,000. By
the 22nd and 23rd Vic., cap. 51 (1st August 1859), the Ulster Company is
authorised to subscribe £30,000 to the joint undertaking of the Clones and
Cavan Extension; the Dublin and Drogheda and the Dublin and Belfast Junction
each, subscribing £20,000, and the Dundalk and Enniskillen Company, the
remainder. By the 23rd Vic., cap. 6 (3rd April 1860), the
Company are empowered to subscribe £25,000 towards the completion of the
Banbridge, Lisburn and Belfast line, at the guaranteed rate of 4 per cent.
interest; and are empowered to take a lease of that line for 21 years.
Chairman - Wm. Coates, Esq., Glentoran, Belfast.
Deputy Chairman - W. J. C. Allen, Esq., Faunoran, Belfast.
|R. H. Dolling, Esq., The Manor House,
Jas. Gray, Esq., Woodbank, Belfast.
J. W. Greer, Esq., Woodville, Lurgan.
Wm. Gregg, Esq., Derryvolgie, Lisburn.
S. K. Mulholland, Esq., Eglantine, Hillsborough.
|Samuel Murland, Esq., Woodlawn,
G. Pim, Esq., Cabinteely, Dublin.
Robert Riddell, Esq., Armagh.
Wm. Thompson, Esq., M.D., Lisburn.
Francis Watson, Esq., Lakeview, Lurgan.
BELFAST AND NORTHERN COUNTIES RAILWAY
Opened 11th April 1851
Capital, in Shares and Loans, £513,333
Act of incorporation passed 21st July 1845.
Share capital authorised £385,000, and loans £128,333 - together, £513,333.
The length of the line authorised by the Act is 37 3/4 miles, of which 33
form the main line from Belfast to Ballymena, in the County of Antrim, 2 3/4
miles the Carrickfergus, and 2 miles the Randalstown branch; the entire
being opened for traffic with a single line of rails on the 11th April 1848.
Extension Act passed in 1853 to make a line (27 3/4 miles) from
Randalstown to Cookstown. Opened for traffic on 10th November 1856.
Capital authorised £200,000 in shares; £40,000 loans. Total £240,000.
Power also given to raise £25,000 for the purpose of the original
undertaking from Belfast to Ballymena. Total capital of the Company is now
£778,333. £165,333 borrowed on debentures. Belfast and
Ballymena Railway Act, 1860, authorising a change of name to Belfast and
Northern Counties Railway Company, and empowering the Company to raise an
additional amount of capital to the extent of £70,000 and for other
purposes. The Company having been empowered by Act of Parliament
to purchase the Ballymena and Portrush line, and the junction with the
Londonderry and Coleraine line, the purchase has been completed, and the
line is now worked by them. The Company are authorised to subscribe a sum
not exceeding £20,000 towards the formation of the Carrickfergus and Larne
Railway, now in progress.
Chairman - Hon. George Esq., Handcock.
Deputy Chairman - Robert Grimshaw, Esq., Longwood.
|Lord Massereene, Antrim.
T. Gregg, Esq., Ballymenoch, Holywood.
John Young, Esq., Galgorm Castle, Ballymena.
John Herdman, Esq., Belfast.
G. J. Clarke, Esq., Steeple, Antrim.
Edmund McNeill, Esq., Ballycastle.
John Thomson, Esq., Longwood.
|George Gray, Esq., Graymount.
Thomas Verner, Esq., Lilliput.
Benjamin Clements Adair, Esq., Leighinmohr.
William Valentine, Esq., Belfast.
Godfrey Lyle, Esq., Cookstown.
Richardson Brady, Esq., Oaklands, Cookstown.
Solicitors - Messrs. Davison & Torrens, Belfast.
Engineer - Charles Lanyon, C.E. Secretary - Charles
Stewart. Traffic Manager - Edward J.
Cotton. Bankers - Bank of Ireland.
Office - York Road, York Street.
BELFAST AND COUNTY DOWN RAILWAY
Office, Queen's Quay, at the Station.
Act of incorporation passed 26th June 1846.
Capital authorised - shares (10,000 of £50 each, the whole of which has
been called), £500,000; loans £166,666 - Total £666,666.
The branch form Belfast to Holywood, 4 miles and 35 chains, was opened on
the 2nd August 1848; and the main line to Newtownards, 12 1/2 miles, on the
6th May 1850, to Downpatrick (18 3/4 miles), with a branch to Ballynahinch (
3 1/2 miles), opened 28th March 1859, and from Newtownards to Donaghadee,
now nearly completed.
Chairman - W. R. Anketell, Esq., Ballynahinch.
Deputy Chairman - Guy Stone, Esq., Barnhill, Comber.
|Jas. Cleland, Esq., Downpatrick.
Robert Gray, Esq., Belfast.
James Ireland, Esq., Clifden.
Wm. Sharman Crawford, jun., Esq., Crawfordsburn.
|Wm. Valentine, Esq., Northern Bank,
Wm. Nevin Wallace, Esq., Downpatrick.
Secretary - Thomas Ward, Belfast. Consulting Engineer - Sir
John MacNeill, Mount Pleasant, Dundalk. Resident Engineer - W.
H. Coddington. Traffic Manager - Thomas Carlisle, Belfast.
Bankers - The Northern Banking Company, Belfast; The Bank of Ireland,
Dublin; Glyn & Co., London.
CUSTOM-HOUSE, QUEEN'S SQUARE
Attendance every day, Sunday and the
following holidays excepted:- The birth-day of the King and Queen, for the
time being; Christmas Day; Good Friday and any general fast. The gross
produce of the Customs duties in 1838 was £315,774; in 1843 £332,980; for
the year ending October 1848 £335,074 9s. 10d.; for the year ending 10th
October 1849 £345,532 4s. 1d.; for the year ending 10th October 1850 £348,033
16s.; for the year ending 10th October 1851 £368,922 19s. 3d.; for the year
ending 10th October 1853 £401,924 19s. 9d.; for the year ending 31st March
1856 £379,433; for the year ending 31st March 1857 £353,831; for the year
ending 31st March 1858 £364,447; for the year ending 31st March 1859 £383,041;
for the year ending 31st December 1860 £373,409.
|John Shelly, Collector.
H. J. McCracken, 1st Clerk
D. Currie ... ... ...
... ... ... ...
James Moore ... ... ...
... ... ...
D. Miller ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ..
A. Jennings ... ... ...
... ... ... .
James Campbell ... ... ...
W. Dawson ... ... ...
... ... ... .
David Hamilton ... ... ...
James Campbell ... ... ...
George Hazard ... ... ...
Wm. Watt, Landing Surveyor
* } Clerks
|Edward Browne, Registrar.
Wm. T. Tripp ... ... ...
... ... ... ...
... ... ... .
Adam Hill ... ... ...
... ... ... ...
... ... ... ...
Henry Briggs ... ... ...
... ... ... ...
... ... ...
Wm. Donaldson, Superintendent of Lockers &c.
Robert Joynt ... ... ...
... ... ... ...
... ... ... ..
R. Campbell ... ... ...
... ... ... ...
... ... ... ..
Robert Welsh ... ... ...
... ... ... ...
... ... ...
Danl. Sheriff, Principal Coast Officer &c., at Larne Creek
* } Landing Waiters
* } Tide Surveyors
COAST-GUARD OFFICE, 13 QUEEN'S QUAY
Commander W. H. Jones, R.N., Inspecting Commander, Carrickfergus.
Commander S. G. Douglas, R.N., Inspecting Commander, Donaghadee.
INLAND REVENUE OFFICE, CUSTOM-HOUSE
Collector, Samuel Cathcart; 1st Clerk
(vacant); Thomas Rhodes, 2nd Clerk; Wm. E. Shearman,
|John Farquharson, supervisor, Belfast,
Supervisor, Belfast 2nd District, (vacant).
Robt. Braithwaite, supervisor, Comber District.
W. R. Calvert, supervisor, Ballyclare District.
J. Crowe, 1st
R. Hamilton, 2nd
Joshua Fox, 4th
Thos. Jacobs, export and packing officer.
Michael McCann, officer, Belfast, 1st Division.
John McKibbin, do.
do. 2nd do.
|James H. Nash, officer, Belfast,
do. Comber 1st
Chas. McCann, do.
do. 2nd do.
Thos. L. Watters, do.
Edmund Lovell, Hillsborough Ride.
James Gibson, Ballyclare Ride.
Thos. Cockburn, Larne Ride.
John Lilburn, Antrim, 1st Ride
Geo. H. Harris, do. 2nd do.
Wm. J. Saunderson, John Burrows, Oliver Sproule, David Hastings
and John Fisher.
INCOME TAX DEPARTMENT, CUSTOM-HOUSE
Samuel Cathcart, Receiver.
Francis Tarleston, Inspector
J. Savage, Surveyor.
BELFAST POOR-LAW UNION
The Belfast Union is partly in the County of
Antrim and partly in the County of Down; it contains as area of 47,702
statute acres, and a population of about 175,000. There are 12
Electoral Divisions, represented by 22 elected and 22 ex-officio Guardians.
The Workhouse, which fronts the Dublin Road. and is, like the other edifices
of the same description, in the Elizabethan style, was built for the
accommodation of 1,000 paupers; since which time an extensive Fever Hospital
has been erected, capable of containing 600 patients. In connexion with the
establishment are schools to accommodate 1,300 children. The house was
opened on the 11th May 1841. The Board of Guardians meet at the Workhouse,
Malone, every Tuesday, at eleven o'clock. Attendance at the office from ten
till four each day.
Poor-Law Inspector - Henry Robinson, Esq.
|Robert Thomson, Castleton.
John F. Ferguson, Donegall Place.
William Coates, Glentoran.
Robert J. Tennent, Rushpark.
Thomas Greg, Ballymenoch.
Samuel G. Fenton, Sydenham.
John Thomson, Lowwood.
John Clarke, College Square East.
Samuel G. Getty, M.P., Donegall Square North.
Robert Thompson, Clonard.
John Mulholland, Craigavad.
|John S. Charley, Woodburn House.
Henry Harrison, Holywood House.
Hill Hamilton, Mount Vernon.
George Gray, Graymount.
William McGee, M.D., Donegall Square East (Chairman).
Thomas McClure, Belmont.
William T. B. Lyons, Oldpark.
William Stevenson, Ballysillan House.
Henry Hugh McNeile, Parkmount.
Joseph Magill, Martlet Tower.
Henry Murney, M.D., Wellington Place.
Belfast Electoral Division
Smithfield Ward - Thomas Gaffikin & David
St. George's Ward - John Hamill & David Taylor (Vice-Chairman)
St. Anne's Ward - Robert Greer (Deputy Vice-Chairman) & S.
Cromac Ward - Archibald Kirker & James Moore, M.D.
Dock Ward - Robert Corry & Jas. Adams
Electoral Division of:-
Ballyhackamore - George Jackson.
Castlereagh - Samuel Teirney.
Greencastle - Robert Walker.
Ballysillan - William Johnston.
Ballymurphy - Arthur Hamill.
Whitehouse - Richard Bell.
Carnmoney - James Harper.
Ballygomartin - Adam Brown.
Holywood - James McCutcheon.
Dundonald - Wm. Trotter.
Ballymacarrett - Robt. Carlisle & Frederick H. Lewis.
|Protestant Chaplain, Rev. H. Teape.
Presbyterian do., Rev. J. McKenzie.
Roman Catholic Chaplain, Rev. J. O'Laverty.
Clerk, William Boyce.
Assistant Clerk, Wm. F. Boyce.
Master, D. McElheran.
Assistant Master, James Ewing.
Matron, Margaret Galway.
Schoolmaster, Thomas Hanna.
Schoolmistress, M. McNea.
Agricultural Overseer, S. Anderson.
Infant Schoolmistress, A. M. Richardson.
Resident Apothecary, Hugh P. Rea.
Medical Officer, Jas. S. Reid, M.D.
|Assistant Medical Officer, Cunningham
Mulholland, Surgeon &c.
Head Nurse, Hospital, Mary J. Gauley.
Valuators - W. Rodgers, W. Nelson.
Auditor. Reuben Simms.
Belfast District, William Vance.
County Antrim, Echlin Gordon.
County Down, J. Wilson.
Adam Dickey, 91 Donegall Street.
The Dispensary Officers are required to perform Vaccination
BELFAST GENERAL HOSPITAL, FREDERICK STREET
Opened in 1817 and supported by Voluntary
President, The Most Noble The Marquis of Donegall
|Lord Visct. Massereene, D.L., J.P.
Sir Robert Bateson, Bart, D.L., J.P.
The Mayor for the time being.
The M.P.'s for the time being.
Lord Bishop of Down and Connor.
The Roman Catholic Bishop.
Richard Davison, Esq.
Andrew Mulholland, Esq., J.P.
T. H. Purdon, Esq., M.D.
|S. K. Mulholland, Esq., J.P.
Samuel G. Fenton, Esq., J.P.
John Clarke, Esq., J.P.
J. G. Richardson, Esq., J.P.
John Cunningham, Esq.
Miss Catherine Hayes.
Mr. John Henry Anderson.
Colonel Charles Ashmore.
St. Anne's Ward
John Bell, jun.
John G. McGee.
Charles W. Shaw.
Rev. Dr. Miller.
Rev. J. B. Gilman.
J. P. Corry.
|Wm. John Johnston.
T. H. Gelston.
St. George's Ward
Rev. John Porter.
W. C. Cunningham.
A. J. Macrory.
W. T. B. Lyons.
H. H. Hannay.
G. A. Thompson.
|Rev. Wm. Johnston.
George A. Carruthers.
Rev. J. Young.
Rev. Dr. Morgan.
Elias H. Thompson.
T. B. Johnson.
Thomas Sinclair, jun.
Dr. Wm. McCormac.
The first four in each Ward retire annually by rotation,
but are eligible for re-election.
BOARD OF MANAGEMENT
St. Anne's Ward
St. George's Ward Dock
Smithfield Ward Cromac
Rev. D. Miller
Rev. John Porter W. T. B.
Lyons Dr. J. S. Dickson
A. J. Macrory
Thomas Gaussen Rev. James Young
Together with the Trustees, Auditors, Treasurer and Hon. Secretaries.
Rev. Jas. Young Rev. Dr. Miller
Secretary and House Steward - Mr. James B. Black.
Consulting Physicians - Drs. Stephenson, McCormac, Thompson,
Andrews and Professor James Seaton Reid. Consulting
Surgeon - Dr. T. H. Purdon. Attending Physicians -
Drs. Pirrie, Professor Ferguson, M.B., Dill and Drennan.
Attending Surgeons - Dr. Moore, Mr. Browne, R.N., Dr. Murney and Professor
Gordon. Resident Surgeon and Superintendent - Dr.
Trustees - R. Davison, Esq., and G. Heyn, Esq.
Treasurer - James Girdwood, Esq., 44 High Street, Belfast.
Bankers - Belfast Banking Company. Auditors - Samuel Boyd
and Henry Murney, Esqrs. Honorary Secretaries - James
McCalla Thompson, Esq., Barrister-at-Law, Wellington Park, Belfast; and
Plato Oulton, Esq., Donegall Quay, Belfast.
Patients affected with wounds are dressed at all times;
cutaneous disease and the maladies of children are treated under the
superintendence of one of the attending medical staff. Daily
attendance at ten o'clock forenoon. Committee meet every
Saturday, at eleven o'clock, for admission of patients and transaction of
business. Accidents and urgent cases admitted into the Hospital
at all times.
BELFAST DISTRICT HOSPITAL FOR THE INSANE POOR
Established in 1829, for the relief of the
insane poor, pursuant to Act of Parliament. The district comprehends
the Counties of Antrim and Down, and the County of the Town of Carrickfergus.
The Board of Governors meet the first Monday of every month, at one o'clock,
PM. No patient can be received without a medical certificate of
insanity, and an affidavit of inability to meet the expenses of a private
asylum. Printed forms may be had at the Hospital, to which all
communications are to be addressed (post-paid) to the resident physician.
BOARD OF GOVERNORS APPOINTED BY THE LORD
LIEUTENANT AND PRIVY COUNCIL OF IRELAND
|Marquis of Donegall.
Mayor of Belfast for the time being.
Rev. Thomas Hincks, A.M.
Sir Robert Bateson, Bart., J.P., D.L.
William McCance, J.P.
Robert J. Tennent, J.P., D.L.
Right Rev. Dr, Denvir.
Rev. John Edgar, D.D.
Rev. H. Montgomery, LL.D.
Very Rev. the Dean of Ross.
Rev. H. Cooke, D.D., LL.D.
Rev. J. S. B. Monsell, A.M., England.
Conway B. Grimshaw, Esq.
John Clarke, Esq., J.P.
|Marquis of Downshire.
Robert Gordon, Esq., J.P., D.L.
Robert Batt, Esq., J.P., D.L.
Major John Sharman Crawford, J.P.
Lord Bishop of Down and Connor & Dromore for the time being.
William Dunville, Esq., J.P.
Rev. T. F. Miller, D.D.
Inspectors of Hospitals for the Insane for the time being.
Adam J. Macrory, Esq.
Lord Dufferin and Clandeboye.
Thomas McClure, Esq., J.P.
The two Government Commissioners of Asylums,
Drs. Nugent and Hatchell, are ex-officio members of the Board.
Resident Physician - Robert Stewart, M.D.
Visiting Physician - Henry McCormac, M.D.
Visiting Surgeon - James Moore, M.D.
Number of Patients in Hospital, 1st April 1859 ...
... ... ... ... ...
Admitted since ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ...
... ... .. 120 - 477
Discharged &c., in same period ... ...
... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ...
Remaining under treatment, 31st March 1860 ... ...
... ... ... ... ...
... ... 354
"Dangerous Lunatics" admitted during the year ...
... ... ... ... ...
... ... .. 27
Average annual expense of each patient for the year ...
... ... ... £ 17 15s. 4d.
THE NORTH-EAST AGRICULTURAL ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND
Office, Castle Chambers, Belfast
First Show held in Belfast, August 1855
The operations of this Association are confined to the
Counties of Down, Armagh, Antrim, including the County of the Town of
Carrickfergus and Monaghan. Funds are raised by donations and annual
subscriptions. The Association consists of two classes of members - amateurs
Marquis of Downshire
DOWN - Viscount Bangor, Lord Dufferin and Clandeboye,
Lord Bishop of Down and Connor and Dromore.
ANTRIM - Marquis of Hertford, Viscount Massereene and Ferrard,
Viscount Templetown, Rev. Wm. Chichester O'Neill.
ARMAGH - Duke of Manchester, Lord Lurgan, Lord Clermont, Colonel
MONAGHAN - Capt. Lloyd, trustee of late Lord Rossmore; Chas. P.
Leslie, M.P., Right Hon. Edward Lucas, D.L., Henry T. Hope, D.L.
Trustees - Fitzherbert Filgate, J.P., J. Richardson, J. Hancock, J.P.
Treasurer - James T. Bristow. Secretary - George Gerald
DOWN - Lord E. A. Hill, M.P.; Lieut.-Colonel W.
B. Forde, M.P.; Sir Robert Bateson, Bart.; David S. Ker, M.P.;
John Waring Maxwell, D.L.
W. Shaman Crawford, D.L.; Arthur H. Montgomery, D.L.; H.
Montgomery, D.L. Rosemount; Charles Douglass, D.L.; John H. B.
Houston, J.P.; Wm.Keown, J.P.; John Andrews, J.P.; Fitzherbert
Filgate, J.P.; William Parson, J.P.; Henry Harrison, J.P.;
Godfrey Lyle, J.P.; Rev. Joseph Bradshaw, J.P.; Robert Morrow; Alexander
Dickson; Hugh Hughes; Samuel Morrow; George Martin: Joseph Perry;
Robert Carlile. ANTRIM - Major-General Henry G. F. Upton, M.P.;
Lieut-Colonel Pakenham, M.P.; Sir Edmund W. Macnaughton, Bart.;
Colonel R. A. Shafto Adair, D.L.; Very Rev. the Dean of Ross;
John McGildowney, D.L.; J. Richardson, Glenmore; W. Charley,
J.P.; Rev. Dr. Montgomery; Major H. Stanley McClintock, J.P.;
John Young, J.P.; G. T. Brooke, J.P.; John F. Hodges, M.D.;
John Borthwick, J.P.; John Hamill, Jas. Wilson, Adam Brown, John Phillips,
Samuel Smyth, John Hanson, Wm. McAfee, John Ireland, A. J. Macrory, William
Langtry. ARMAGH - Maxwell C. Close, M.P.; Lieut-Colonel Caulfield;
Sir James Stronge, Bart.; Peter Quinn, M.P.; Wm. Kirk, J.P.; Robt. Quinn
Alexander, J.P.; Joseph Atkinson, J.P.; Wm. Verner, J.P.; Thomas Dobbin,
J.P.; Hugh Boyle, J.P.; John Hancock, J.P.; Henry L. Prentice. J.P.;
John W. Greer, J.P.; James B. Boyd, J.P.; John G. Winder, J.P.;
Francis Fforde, Francis Watson, Thomas Carleton, Alexander
Kinmouth, John Moody, John w. Richmond, David Ruddell,
MONAGHAN - Wm. Foster, D.L.; John Lentaigne, J.P.; A. A.
Murray Ker, J.P.; Joseph Crowe Wright, J.P.; Richard Mayne,
J.P.; Robert H. Dolling, J.P.; B. G. Brooker, J.P.; John
Cunningham, J.P.; Henry G. Johnston, David Patton, Lieut-Colonel
McClintock, J.P.; William Patton, David Hamilton, Andrew
Hunter, John Primrose, Oliver Pringle, E. K. Evans,
CHEMICO-AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY OF ULSTER
Instituted in 1845 for the dissemination of
practical knowledge, on the connection of chemistry with agriculture, and
for the analyses of soils and manures &c. Meets the
first Friday of every month, in the rooms of the Society, 63 Upper Arthur
PATRON - His Excellency the Earl of Carlisle, Lord Lieut. of Ireland.
PRESIDENT - The Most Noble the Marquis of Downshire.
|Marquis of Hertford.
Marquis of Londonderry.
Marquis of Donegall.
Earl of Erne.
Earl of Antrim.
Baron Dufferin and Clandeboye.
Viscount Massereene and Ferrard.
Lord George Hill.
Sir Robert Bateson, Bart., Belvoir Park.
|Lord Bishop of Down .
Right Rev. Dr. Denvir.
Sir James Emerson Tennent.
The Very Rev. the Dean of Ross.
Right Hon. Edward Lucas.
David S. Ker, Esq., J.P.
William S. Crawford, Esq., J.P.
H. Montgomery, Esq., J.P., Greyabbey.
James Agnew, Esq., J.P.
Thomas Greg, Esq., J.P.
A. Mulholland, Esq., J.P.
Professor Andrews, M.D., F.R.S.
Thomas Kirkpatrick, Esq., M.D.
Honorary Members - Baron Von Liebig,
Munich; M. Boussingault and M. Payen, Paris.
|John Andrews, J.P., Comber.
Rev. William Bruce, Belfast.
John Borthwick, Kilroot.
J. Brown, Portavogie.
John C. Boyd, Holywood.
George J. Clarke, J.P., Antrim.
William Charley, J.P., Seymour Hill.
George S. Kirkpatrick.
Paul McHenry, C.E., Belfast.
A. Dickson, Belfast.
B. Hughes, Belfast.
Fitzherbert Filgate, J.P., Hillsborough.
R. F. Gibson, J.P., Downpatrick.
Wm. M. Kirk, J.P., Keady.
Jas. MacAdam, sen., F.G.S., Belfast.
|John Millar, Lisburn.
George Posnett, J.P., Belfast.
Thomas Montgomery, J.P., Antrim.
Richard Nevin, jun., Chrome Hill, Lisburn.
J. Richardson, J.P., Glenmore, Lisburn.
Rev. Geo. Smyth, Carnmoney.
J. E. Scriven.
Professor James Thomson, C.E., Belfast.
Joseph G. Thompson, Belfast.
James Walker, Carrickfergus.
H. Miller, Ballyhalbert.
W. McLeish, Randalstown.
John McMeekin, Ballybranagh.
TREASURERS - Guy Stone, J.P., Comber; and wm. Simms,
HON. SECRETARY - W. B. Ritchie; ASSISTANT-SECRETARY - Edward J. Hodges;
Professor of Chemistry, John F. Hodges, M.D., F.C.S.
Hall, Waring Street
It's objects are to dispense relief in
sickness and burial of their dead. Ulster Lodge meets every alternate
Wednesday; John Clarke, M.D., Donegall Street, Medical Attendant;
James Taylor, Permanent Secretary. Marquis of Donegall Lodge meets
every alternate Tuesday; Henry M. Johnston, Surgeon, Donegall Street,
Medical Attendant; Thomas Gibson, Permanent Secretary. Belfast Lodge
meets every alternate Wednesday; John Woods Beck, M.D., North Street,
Medical Attendant; J. Downing, Permanent Secretary. City of
Carrick Lodge, Carrickfergus, meets every alternate Saturday; Dr. Patrick,
Medical Attendant; Wm. Blackburn, Permanent Secretary. Tyrone Lodge,
Strabane, meets every alternate Wednesday. Dr. Beck, Treasurer; John
Downing, Corresponding Secretary for the district.
NATURAL HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHICAL SOCIETY
This Society was formed in 1821 for the
cultivation of Natural History, and the investigation of the topography,
statistics and antiquities of Ireland. Subsequently, the range of
subjects became more extensive, it being agreed to receive communications on
all branches of physical science and their applications. The meeting
(private and public) for the reading of papers are held on alternate
Wednesday evenings, during the winter months, at the Museum, College Square
North. The Museum was founded in 1830, and is open daily (Sunday
excepted) from twelve till four o'clock. The internal arrangements are
under the care of the Council for the time being.
OFFICERS FOR 1861
|President - Jas. MacAdam, F.G.S.
Vice-Presidents - Prof. Andrews, M.D., F.R.S.; Robert Patterson,
F.R.S.; Professor Dickie, M.D.; Wyville Thompson, M.D., LL.D.
Treasurer - Joseph John Murphy
|Secretaries - A. O'D. Taylor and J.
Corresponding Secretary - R. S. MacAdam.
Librarian - Rev. Isaiah Steen.
Curator - Wm. Darragh.
BELFAST LIBRARY AND SOCIETY FOR PROMOTING KNOWLEDGE
This Society was instituted in 1788, and
meets in the centre building of the Linehall, Donegall Square, under the
direction of a President, Vice-President, and Committee, annually elected.
It now possesses upwards of 14,000 volumes on history, biography, voyages,
travels, political economy, encyclopaedias, French & English; with books
on natural philosophy, chemistry &c.; dictionaries, maps, charts,
reviews, magazines, philosophical journals &c. The Library
contains an almost complete file of the Belfast News Letter from 1737 to the
present date. Terms, one guinea entrance, and one guineas per annum.
A register of the weather is kept by the Librarian, viz, barometer,
thermometer, and quantity of rain. The Committee meets the first and
third Thursday of every month, at twelve o'clock, A.M.; the Society at
half-past twelve. There are three classes of subscribers.
Proprietors - Those pay two guineas entrance and one guinea per annum.
Members - Those pay one guinea entrance, and one guinea per annum.
Annual Subscribers, who pay no entrance, but merely one guinea per annum
PRESIDENT - Rev. Wm. Bruce. VICE-PRESIDENT -
Dr. McGee. SECRETARY - Robert Gray. TREASURER
- William Bottomley. LIBRARIAN - Jas. Stewart.
COMMITTEE - Rev. Dr. Bryce, James MacAdam, Wm. Browne, Dr. Drennan,
Dr. Hodges, Joseph J. Murphy, Wm. Simms, A. C. Weir, Rev. James Young and
QUEEN'S COLLEGE, BELFAST
University Road - Opened October 1849
President, Rev. P. Shuldham Henry, D.D.
Vice-President, Thomas Andrews, M.D., F.R.S., M.R.I.A.
Faculty of Arts - Literary Division
The Greek Language, C. Macdouall, LL.D.;
the Latin Language, Rev. C. P. Reichel, D.D.; History and English
Literature, G. L. Craik, LL.D.; Modern Languages, M.J. Frings, Ph. D.; the
Celtic Languages, John O'Donovan, LL.D., M.R.I.A.
Mathematics, George M. Slesser, B.A.;
Natural Philosophy, John Stevelly, LL.D; Chemistry, T. Andrews, M.D., F.R.S.,
M.R.I.A.; Logic and Metaphysics, Rev. James McCosh, LL.D.; Natural History,
George Dickie, M.D.; Mineralogy and Geology, Wyville Thomson, LL.D.; Civil
Engineering, John Godwin, C.E.; Agriculture, John F. Hodges, M.D.
Faculty of Medicine
Anatomy and Physiology, Peter Redfern;
Practice of Medicine, John C. Ferguson, A.M., M.B.; Practice of Surgery,
Alexander Gordon, M.D.; Midwifery, Wm. Burden, M.D.; Materia Medica, J.
Seaton Reid, M.D.; Medical Jurisprudence, John F. Hodges, M.D.
Faculty of Law
English Law, E. Molyneaux, A.M., Q.C.;
Jurisprudence and Political Economy, E. P. F. Leslie, LL.B.
DEANS OF RESIDENCE
Church of England, Rev. H. Murphy;
Presbyterian Church, Rev. Henry Cooke, D.D., LL.D.; Association of
Non-Subscribing Presbyterians, Rev. John Porter; Wesleyan Methodists, Rev.
Registrar, Rev. R. Oulton, A.B.; Librarian,
Rev. G. Hill: Bursar, A. Dickey.
The subjects of the matriculation or entrance examination for students in
the Faculties of Arts, Medicine and Law are English Grammar and Composition;
the Greek and Latin Languages; Arithmetic, Fractions, vulgar and decimal;
Practice, Proportion, Interest, Discount and the Square Root; Algebra, to
the end of Simple Equations; Euclid's Elements, the first two books;
Outlines of English History; Outlines of Roman History to the death of Nero;
Outlines of Ancient and Modern Geography. The entrance course for
Engineering and Agricultural students is the same as the preceding, with the
exclusion of the Greek and Latin Languages.
Forty-five junior scholarships and ten senior scholarships have been founded
in the College. Of the junior scholarships, thirty of the value of £24
each appropriated to students for the degree of A.B.; six of the value of £20
each to students for the degree of M.D.; three of the value of £20 each to
law students for the degree LL.B.; two of the value of £20 each to students
for the diploma of Civil Engineering; four of the value of £15 each to
students for the diploma of Agriculture. These scholarships are
awarded annually by examination, and are tenable for one year only; but the
scholars of each year are not disqualified from being candidates for
scholarships the succeeding year. The examinations for junior
scholarships of the first year takes place immediately after the
matriculation or entrance examination. The subjects for examination
for the junior scholarships are published annually in the Belfast Queen's
College Calendar. Of the thirty junior scholarships to students for the
degree of A.B., fifteen are awarded for proficiency in literature, viz.:-
Five to students commencing the first year of their course; five each to
those commencing the second and third years; fifteen for proficiency in
science, viz., five scholarships each to students of the first, second and
third years respectively. Ten senior scholarships, of £40 each, are
to be awarded to students in the free faculties, in the following
proportions, viz.:- Seven to the most distinguished students who have
proceeded to the degree of Bachelor of Arts - one for proficiency in each of
the following departments:- in Greek, Latin and Ancient History; in Modern
Languages and History; in Mathematics; in Natural Philosophy; Metaphysics
and Economical Science; in Chemistry; and in Natural History;- two to
students who have completed the three years' course prescribed for
candidates for the degree of Doctor of Medicine, viz., one for Anatomy and
Physiology, and one for Therapeutics and Pathology;- one to the pupils who
have proceeded to the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and have completed the
course of legal studies prescribed for candidates for the degree of Bachelor
of Law. The student first on the list of candidates, both in the
Literacy and Science divisions, at the examination for junior scholarships
in Arts, shall be entitled to a scholarship in each division; but in no
other case are two scholarships to be held by the same student.
BELFAST QUEENS' COLLEGE TERMS, 1860-61
The College Session commences on the third
Tuesday in October and ends on the second Saturday in June. It is
divided into three terms. The first term commences on Tuesday 20th
October, and ends on Saturday the 19th December. The second term
commences on the 5th January, and ends on Thursday 1st April. The
third term commences on Tuesday 13th April and ends on Saturday 12th June.
GENERAL ASSEMBLY'S COLLEGE, BELFAST.
University Road. Opened 5th December 1853
President of Faculty -
Rev. H. Cooke, D.D., LL.D.
Secretary of Faculty - Rev. Wm. Gibson.
Systematic Divinity - Rev.
John Edgar, D.D.
Sacred Criticism and Interpretation - Rev. Josias L.
Ecclesiastical History and Pastoral Theology - Rev. W. D.
Killen, D. D.
Oriental Languages - Rev. James W. G. Murphy, LL.D.
Moral Philosophy - Rev. William Gibson.
Sacred Rhetoric - Rev. H. Cooke, D.D., LL.D.
The classes in this College open on the 1st November and
close the last week in April.
ROYAL ACADEMICAL INSTITUTION
Incorporated by Act of Parliament, 1810
President - The Marquis of Donegall
BOARD OF MASTERS
|Thomas Blain, LL.D., English.
Robert Steen, Ph.D., Classics.
Rev. Isaiah Steen, Mathematical and Mercantile School.
Mr. Patrick Johnston, Writing.
|Mr. Joseph Molloy, Drawing.
Mons. Auguste Charles Badier, French.
Herr Victor Rylski, German.
Instituted 25th January 1786
The Academy is under the superintendence of a
Principal; and it's general affairs are managed by a committee of the
subscribers, co jointly with the Principal and Masters. Trustee for
subscribers, J. Cunningham; trustee for the Masters, the Principal.
Principal, Rev. R. J. Bryce, LL.D.
Classical School, the Principal; Mathematical and Mercantile School, Thomas
A. Bryce, M.A.; Writing School, G. H. Watson; Drawing School, Joseph Molloy;
English School, J. T. McGaw; French, Jules Festu. There are also
classes for Belles Lettres, Natural Philosophy and Natural History; and for
the German, Italian, Spanish and Oriental Languages.
LADIES' INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL FOR GIRLS
Frederick Street - Established 1849
Under the management of a committee of 50.
There are at present 80 children fed, clothed and educated in the building,
designated as the "Lancasterian School House" These children
have been selected, after careful scrutiny, from the most destitute of our
population; they are taught reading, writing, arithmetic, geography, plain
sewing, mending, darning, knitting, washing and ironing and housemaids'
Patroness, Mrs. Knox, The Palace, Holywood; President, Mrs. Thomson,
Vice-President, Mrs. Thomson, Lowwood; Treasurer, Miss Stewart;
Disbursing Treasurer, Mrs. McCormac, Wellington Place; Secretaries,
Miss Smith, Glengall Place; Miss Euphemia Orr, The Crescent;
Corresponding Secretary, Miss Ireland, Royal Academical Institution;
Teacher, Miss White; Matron, Mrs. Todd.
In another apartment of the same building, an Infant School is conducted,
the arrangements of which are entirely different. The average
attendance of pupils in this apartment is from 100 to 150. Teacher,
Miss White; Assistant Teacher, Miss Ferguson; Managing
Committee, the same as that of the Industrial School. A Lace School
has been established in the same building.
DONEGALL STREET NATION SCHOOL
Established in 1829
The weekly average number in actual
attendance is 600. Teachers - John Lalor and James Clarke in the male;
Miss Mary Wallace and Miss Hessy McGrath in the female and infantile
ST. MALACHY'S DIOCESAN SEMINARY
Under the patronage and superintendence of Right Rev. Dr. Denvir.
Dean, Rev. James O'Laverty; Professor
of Classics, Belles Lettres and Mathematics, Rev. Edward Kelly;
Superintendent of English and Mercantile Department, Rev. James O'Laverty;
Head Master of ditto, S. Fitzpatrick; Professor of French, Auguste
The Course comprises the Greek, Latin and French languages, algebra,
geometry, trigonometry, plain and spherical; conic sections, mensuration,
navigation, use of the globes, book-keeping, together with all the various
branches of an English and Mercantile education.
Music, drawing, dancing &c., are also taught by competent Professors.
The boarding-house, Vicinage, is situated on the Antrim Road. Terms
for the academical year - Board, washing and medical attendance, £14 5s.
Tuition in the classical and mathematical departments, £4 per annum.
English, stationery included, from 31 to 12s. 9d. per quarter, in proportion
to the subjects taught and the length of the time daily devoted to them.
French, which is taught by a native of Paris, sex shillings per quarter;
music, drawing, dancing &c., as per agreement with the Professors.
During extra hours, and free of expense to the pupils, lectures on natural
philosophy are delivered and experimentally illustrated, the Diocesan
Seminary being for this purpose provided with perfect chemical and
NORTHERN SUNDAY SCHOOL ASSOCIATION
Established May 1839, for the purpose of supplying Sunday
Schools with Bibles, Testaments and other books and requisites. The
Committee meets at their depository, in Arthur Street, on the first
Wednesday of every month, at six PM.
Committee - Revs. J. Scott Porter, John Porter, David Maginnis, Hugh Moor,
Henry Eachus, John Jellie; Messrs. Lenox Drennan, Robert McCalmont, Joshua
McMaster, Alexander Greenfield. Secretary, Rev. C. J. McAlester;
Treasurer, Wm. Hartley, Esq., The Castle.
BELFAST PAROCHIAL SUNDAY AND DAY SCHOOLS
Academy Street - Established in 1830
Upwards of 200 children are taught in the Sunday schools;
and in the daily school departments, upwards of 200 receive instruction in
spelling, reading, writing, arithmetic, grammar, book-keeping, geography
&c. The females are also taught needlework. Mr. and Mrs. Morrison,
ST. GEORGE'S CHURCH DAILY AND SUNDAY SCHOOLS
Opened January, 1834
On the books of male school, 155; female school, 50. The
children are taught spelling, reading, writing, English grammar, geography
and the Scriptures. Teacher of male school, Mr. S. Orr; of female school,
Miss Rogers. Sunday school, held in the school-rooms at ten o'clock
morning, numerously attended by male and female children.