BANGOR

 

 

 

LENNON WYLIE
Home   -   8th Belfast HAA Regt.   -   Useful Links
WW1 & WW2 Memorial Pages
 
Please sign my Guestbook 


please donate any amount £1 £2 £3 £4 £5
every little makes a big difference

Google
WWW http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk

1805 - 1806 - 1807 - 1808 - 1819 - 1843 - 1852 - 1861 - 1868 - 1877 - 1880 - 1890 - 1901 - 1907 - 1908 - 1910 - 1918 - 1932 - 1943  street directories
1913 Tel. directory     1824 Pigots (Belfast)  &  (Bangor)    1894 Waterford Directory     1898 Newry Directory

Bangor Pages   1  -  2  -  3  -  4  -  5  -  6  -  7  -  8

still working on these pages - new photos still to be added

Bangor Civic Week 1951
all photos are watermarked and may not be used for profit, please feel free to share but link back to this site or credit lennonwylie - thank you

.

CONTENTS

Foreword by the Mayor
Civic Week - Programme of Events
Civic Week - Details of Events
Sidelights on Bangor History
Town Clerks of the Borough
Town Planning
Education
Public Library
Industry and Trade
Transport

 

Our Water Supply
Public Health Services
Sport
Gas Undertaking
Yachting
Prize-Winning School Essay
The Old Watch Tower
Local Organisations
Coat of Arms - Explanation

Facts About Bangor

ILLUSTRATIONS

Coat of Arms
The Mayor
Former Mayors
Bangor from the Air
Horticultural Society's First Daffodil Show
The Kinnegar, Queen's Parade, 1874
The late Mr. James Milliken
Mr. R. M. Moore, M.B.E.
Council Houses, Churchill Crescent
Aluminium Bungalows, Bloomfield Road
Feeding the Geese, Ward Park
U.T.A. Bus Terminus, 1950


Bangor Castle
Bangor from Roof of Royal Hotel
Castle Park
Ballyholme Bay
B.C.D.R. Train, 1900
Motor Coach, 1909
The New Reservoir, Ballysallagh 1950
Hamilton House
Gas Undertaking Showrooms
R.U.Y.C. Regatta, 1949
Members of Borough Council and Senior Officers
The Old Watch Tower
The Woods, Castle Park


Bangor Mayors
all photos are watermarked and may not be used for profit, please feel free to share but link back to this site or credit lennonwylie - thank you

BANGOR'S TOWN CLERKS

     The Clerk to Town Commissioners or an Urban District Council is given the courtesy title of Town Clerk; but only a Borough is legally entitled to appoint a Town Clerk.  Thus, when Bangor was reconstituted a Borough in 1928 the late Mr. James Milliken became the first town clerk.
     With the possible exception of the late Mr. John McMeekan no man played a more important role in laying the foundations of modern Bangor than Mr. Milliken.  In his own lifetime he had become almost a legend.  His advice was sought by government departments and Town Clerks throughout the Province.  He was universally acclaimed in local government circles as the doyen of his profession.
      Mr. Milliken died on 4th April 1932, and such was his reputation that it was considered impossible to find anyone capable of filling his shoes, which were unquestionably outsize.  The fact that Mr. Moore has succeeded in filling his predecessor's shoes is probably the greatest tribute that can be paid to him.
     Mr. Moore's term of office was not marked by the same spectacular achievement that was a feature of the previous quarter of a century. Circumstances were against that. Having undergone his early training in the Belfast Harbour Office and having served in the 1914-1918 War, Mr. Moore was appointed Assistant Town Clerk in 1920. He became Town Clerk during the industrial depression when retrenchment was the watchword. To add to his difficulties, a series of unbalanced budgets had piled up a municipal; debt of £27,000.
     The nation's economic recovery was not complete when the second World War intervened. The greater part of the next decade witnessed a tremendous struggle for our very lives. A;; progress was brought to a standstill. What might have been Mr. Moore's record, if circumstances had permitted, may be gauged by such developments as the acquisition of Castle Park; the erection of 124 houses; the recent boundary extension; the adaption of Bangor Castle as municipal head-quarters; and the new water scheme - all of which have been undertaken during or since the end of the war. >>

     Nevertheless, history will almost certainly record that the war years marked the full flowering of Mr. Moore's ability as an administrator and organiser. Under his leadership was created in Bangor a vast Civil Defence organisation that was not found wanting in a single respect when put to the test early in 1941. It was undoubtedly one of the best in the whole of the United Kingdom. Only those closely associated with Mr. Moore can have any conception of how exacting were the demands made on him during those strenuous years.
     Those best able to judge a man's worth are his professional colleagues. The fact that Mr. Moore is the President of the Town Clerk's Association is an eloquent testimony in itself. The playing of games has a great attraction for Mr. Moore; he is a past-captain of the Cliftonville Cricket Club's first eleven, and in 1941 was captain of Bangor Golf Club. In his younger days he played Rugby and hockey.
     Just as this handbook goes to Press comes the news that the King's Birthday Honours List includes the name of Mr. Moore, who is to be made a Member of the Order of the British Empire. This information has been received with the utmost pleasure and satisfaction by all who know him.

COAT OF ARMS

Bearing in mind that Heraldry is symbolic and not realistic, the explanation of the Coat of Arms of Bangor is as follows:-
THE ARMS OR SHIELD
On the Shield are two golden Lymphads (ancient ships that in Heraldry stand for all ships), one above the other, on a background of red. They may be variously interpreted as representing:
(a) The ships in which the Missionaries from the Abbey, founded in Bangor by St. Comgall, sailed to Britain and the Continent of Europe to preach Christianity; or
(b) the yachts of the local Yacht Clubs; or the famous Yachts, named "Shamrock," owned by the late Sir Thomas Lipton who, as a member of Bangor's well-known Yacht Club, The Royal Ulster, challenged unsuccessfully on several occasions for the America's Cup; or
(c) the great convoys of ships that, during the 1939-1945 war, assembled weekly off Bangor, where the Captains received their sailing orders, before proceeding on their dangerous voyages; or
(d) the vast armada of nearly 200 Allied Naval and Merchant Ships that, at the end of May, 1944, gathered off Bangor, whence they sailed to the Normandy beaches.

On the sails of each of the Lympháds is a Red Hand denoting that Bangor is in Ulster.
The blue and white (conventional heraldic representation of water) on either side of the Shield indicates that Bangor is a seaside town, or Bangor and Ballyholme Bays.

THE CREST

The Crest depicts St. Comgall who founded a Monastery in Bangor about the year 555 A.D. He is shown holding a pastoral staff and reading a book. The latter may be taken as representing learning, or the Bible on which St. Comgall based his Monastery and the Missionary activities of the Monks. >>

THE SUPPORTERS

The Supporters are two Dolphins. These also indicate that Bangor is a seaside town. One is charged with a gold roundle, on which is a Shamrock signifying that Bangor is in Ireland, or Lipton's "Shamrocks." (A Shamrock on a gold ground was part of the Lipton Arms.) The bull's head on the roundle on the second Dolphin refers to the Irish name of Bangor, which is interpreted as meaning "horns" from the legend that at one time the beach opposite the town was littered with the skeletons of horned cattle.

THE MOTTO

The motto "Beannchor," in Celtic lettering, is the Irish form of the place-name Bangor.

                      
Local Organisations & Public Health Services by James B. McKinney, M.B, B.Ch., D.P.H.
                       
Education in the Borough of Bangor by Mr. W. Taggart, B.A., B.Comm.
    
SPORT IN BANGOR


The Crofton Bangor's Premier and Most Progressive Ballroom
Harry Gold and his Pieces of Eight
The Johnny Dankworth Seven
Harold Smart and his Quintet


Millsopps - S. Miller - Pollock - Ulster Creameries Ltd.
TRANSPORT
Contributed by Ulster Transport Authority

     Bangor was first linked with Belfast by rail in 1865, but the first railway was proposed as early as 1846. On the 26th of June of that year the Belfast and County Down Railway Company was incorporated with powers to construct a line from Belfast to Downpatrick, with branches to Holywood, Newtownards, Bangor and Donaghadee. The line from Belfast to Holywood was opened on the 2nd of August, 1848, and that to Comber and Newtownards on the 6th of May, 1850.
     Little progress was made until the extension from Newtownards to Donaghadee was opened on the 3rd of June, 1861, but in the meantime the proposal to construct the branch from Conlig to Bangor had been abandoned in favour of a more direct route.
     The line from Holywood to Bangor was constructed by the Belfast, Holywood and Bangor Railway Company, which was incorporated in 1860, and was opened on the 1st May, 1865. In the same year they purchased from the Belfast and County Down Railway the Belfast-Holywood section, but in 1884 then whole line was transferred back to the original company.
     The main B. & C.D.R. reached Ballynahinch in 1858 and Downpatrick 1859. The extension to Newcastle, built by a separate company, was opened in 1869, and, while worked by the B. & C.D.R. from the outset, was only transferred to it in 1881.
     In 1893 the railway took over a steamer service from Belfast to Bangor, and this was run during the summer months until 1915, four return trips being made each day. For most of the period the service was provided by a fine steamer - the "Slieve Bearnagh" - which was lost in the 1914-18 War by enemy action.
     From about 1880 until 1920 the railway was a very prosperous concern, but the introduction of road transport marked the beginning of a period of financial difficulty. The short distances involved, and the scattered population in County Down made it difficult for it to compete with road services. Reduction in fares, and the introduction of some road services of its own, failed to stem the tide.
     The first road service from Bangor was started in 1906 by Arthur Stringer and was a summer only service to Donaghadee, and in 1909 a similar service was operated by Matthew Morrow with a solid-tyre charabanc. The normal fare was 1/d., but during the 1914-18 War competition was so intense that at one time it was reduced at 2d.
     On the 6th of June, 1924, Mr. Morrow's "Enterprise Bus Company" started a service to Belfast, still with solid-tyred charabancs. At the outset there were four runs a day - three by Clandeboye and one via Crawfordsburn - and the return fare was 1/6d. compared with the third class railway fare of 2/4d. The railway felt that, while this service might attract passengers during the summer, they would return to the more comfortable trains during the winter. In actual fact, this did not happen, and in March, 1925, the "Bangor Queen Company" started a rival service.
     In the summer of 1925 the "Enterprise" Company introduced the first solid-tyred bus, and it was not until 1926 that pneumatic tyres were used. In 1926, to encourage further traffic, the return fare to Belfast was reduced to 1/-d., when the outward journey was made before 10.0 a.m. About the same time the "Enterprise" Company withdrew its service to Donaghadee so as to concentrate all its vehicles on the Belfast Road.
     Services between Bangor and Newtownards were also started in the early 1920s, the "Ards Transport Company" running via Conlig, and Coey's service running via Six-Road-Ends, This latter service was later taken over by John O'Neill of the "Tonic Company." Still another company operating from Bangor was the "Pioneer Company" run by Jacob O'Neill.
     In 1927 the "Belfast Omnibus Company" took over the Enterprise, Bangor Queen and Ards Transport Companies, while in 1935 it, in its turn, was taken over by the Northern Ireland Road Transport Board.
     The 1939-45 War, with its restrictions on road transport, brought a period of temporary prosperity to the railway, but after this its financial position became critical, and in 1948 the Company was vested in the Ulster Transport Authority.
     Since the Ulster Transport Authority was set up attention has been directed to the co-ordination of road and rail services, and, so as to give better connections between road and rail, a new bus station has been erected alongside the railway station at Bangor. All the road services, except the town services, now start from this station, and at the peak hours arrivals and departures of the Groomsport and Donaghadee services are arranged so that they connect with the trains to and from Belfast. In addition, the refreshment rooms, waiting rooms, etc., are available for both road and rail passengers.
     On the rail side, fast business trains are provided in the morning and evening, the fastest taking only twenty minutes, while a new railcar has recently been introduced which should materially add to the comfort of passengers.
     Road services are provided throughout the day both via Clandeboye and Crawfordsburn, and during the off-peak periods departures from both Belfast and Bangor are provided alternatively by road and rail.

all photos are watermarked and may not be used for profit, please feel free to share but link back to this site or credit lennonwylie - thank you


B.C.D.R. Train 1900


Motor Coach 1909

     Regular road services are also provided from Bangor to Donaghadee by the coast road through Groomsport and Orlock, as well as by the more direct inland road, and to Newtownards, both via Conlig and via Six-Road-Ends. In addition, the outskirts of the town itself are served by a number of routes starting from the vicinity of the Station or the Esplanade.
     During the summer months a number of attractive day, afternoon and evening coach tours are run from Bangor to the various beauty spots in Northern Ireland, and also to such places as Dublin, Bundoran and the Donegal Highlands. The popularity of these tours can be judged from the fact that, during the five summer months of 1950, 421 buses were run from Bangor, carrying 10,556 passengers.

   
     Spectator 1904 to 1951                                H. & J. McGimpsey Ltd.                     Mayne's Garage   Forrests Kodak
   
Co-Op                                               H. Lindsay & Co.                                          John Lightbody
all photos are watermarked and may not be used for profit, please feel free to share but link back to this site or credit lennonwylie - thank you
   
            Inglis                                    McCrea's       Charles Neill Ltd.                              Gas Showroom

BANGOR
by Mercy Stewart

Winner of the prize, value £3 : 3 : 0d, for the best Essay on Bangor written by a pupil attending a Bangor Day School
Prizes, value £1 : 1s : 0d each were won by Pat Brown (14-16 years), Sheelagh Butler (12-14 years) and Harvey Rowan (10-12 years).
The Essays were judged by Mr. J. M. Bradshaw, M.A., of Belfast
The prizes were presented by Bangor Borough Council

Bangor, the third largest town in Northern Ireland, is a seaside resort situated on Belfast Lough. It is twelve miles from Belfast, and because of this, combined with its lovely beaches and games facilities, a large number of city people visit it in the summer.
     The history of Bangor dates far back to the year 555 A.D., the year in which it was founded. St. Comgall played a large part in the founding of Bangor by having churches and schools built, some of which still bear his name. Some years after the town was founded a saint left Ireland and journed to Wales where he named a town Bangor, after Bangor, County Down. [This statement cannot be substantiated - Editor]
     Bangor, in County Down, flourished well until the Danes invaded Ireland, but it was over three centuries before it again rose. The Danes destroyed all the buildings and huts that people lived in, and Bangor was left shattered. In 1617 Sir James Hamilton built the first old Abbey Church, and in 1613 Bangor was granted a Charter of Incorporation with the right to return two members to Parliament.  In 1927, King George V. granted Bangor another Charter of Incorporation. From the time it was rebuilt the town has flourished well until the present day when it is beaten in size by Belfast and Londonderry only.
     Bangor is a very attractive seaside resort having two main parks, modern games facilities, lovely beaches and numerous beauty spots. The largest park is Ward Park, which is situated between Hamilton Road and Gransha Road. Its lawns and flower-beds are two of the most attractive features in Bangor. There are a large number of seats in the park on which elderly people can rest, either in a shady part of the grounds or in the sun. For the young people there are the tennis courts, hockey, football, cricket and rugby pitches; and for the children there are the swings and the pond in which they can sail toy boats.
     In Ward Park there are also animals and birds, including monkeys, rabbits, pigeons, ducks, and birds with brightly-coloured feathers. The other main park is Castle Park, situated within the boundaries of Gransha Road, Newtownards Road and Abbey Street. The main feature of this park is, of course, the attractive castle which is situated in the main part of the grounds over-looking Gransha Road and Abbey Street. Although there are no amusements in this park, it is a very quiet and peaceful place to rest. Behind the castle there is a wonderful flower garden, but, unfortunately, it is not open to the public.
     There is a lovely swimming pool at Pickie, on the West side of Bangor. Marine Gardens are very beautiful and tastefully laid out. The sunken gardens contain, perhaps, the most attractive flowers in Bangor and they make a wonderful view for people who sit in the shelter beside them. Seacliffe Road, which leads to the Astor Cinema, provides a suitable setting for a cool walk on a warm day, and visitors can also go to Ballyholme beach by this road. The beach at Ballyholme stretches far round the coast, and is frequented by many holiday-makers in Bangor. On a hot summer day, when the tide is out, one sees the sands covered with people sunbathing or picnicking. >>

     In the last few years many improvements have been made in Bangor. At the station there has been a bus depot made, and this is much handier for most people because formerly the buses left from different places, but now everyone waits for the buses at one place. Many of the buildings have also been improved, and at Ward Park Tennis Courts a new club pavilion was built last year.
     Education is not disregarded in Bangor and there are many schools, including Bangor Collegiate School for girls, Bangor Glenlola School for girls, Technical School, Intermediate and Primary Schools and Bangor Grammar School for boys. There are also many churches in Bangor, including the Parish Church, Methodist Church and many Presbyterian Churches, and they are usually well attended.
     Many people from Belfast own bungalows in Bangor and spend week-ends or holidays in them. However, there are many visitors who reside in hotels or boarding houses. These hotels are usually very comfortable, and are situated in beautiful grounds, mostly overlooking the sea. Of course, in the summer the weather is mainly warm and sunny, but even on a wet day if people do not wish to leave their hotel they may sit in a comfortable lounge or perhaps play an indoor game. Many hotels have billiards tables which is entertainment for most men.
     Bangor has also very modern travelling conveniences, having frequent bus services on most roads. As well as good bus services, the Bangor Borough Council pay great attention to the roads and keep them very clean and tidy. There is also a good train service and lately there have been a few diesel trains running between Belfast and Bangor. These trains are still very small but they are much easier and faster driver. Perhaps there will be more of them in the future.
     Although Bangor is very beautiful as it is, perhaps in the future it will be even more lovely. A few weeks ago the Town Clerk, on behalf of Bangor, received a new Coat of Arms for the town. Great improvements are also being made for the Festival of Britain in Northern Ireland, one of these being a flower garden at the Castle. This flower garden, with the letters BANGOR cut out in the ground, can be viewed from the station and the bus depot.
     Bangor will, perhaps, look even lovelier in the future, and everyone wants to see it looking its best for Festival Year.

all photos are watermarked and may not be used for profit, please feel free to share but link back to this site or credit lennonwylie - thank you
  
               Charles Hutchison Estates                                           J. D. Bailie    -       Ferguson & Mills
   
          John Neill & Sons - Warner's - Addy Chemist          Sixty Minute Cleaners Ltd.        Keeling & Knox  -  J. Eakin  - Maple Dairy  -  James T. Brice & Son
 
A. Devon & Partners - W. Peacock & Son Ltd.       William Bailie & Co. - Harris Rundle - Anne Roulston - The Ulster Arms
                                                                                                         
Sidelights on Bangor History by T. B. Graham         Industry and Trade        Our Water Supply by Councillor C. F. Milligan
THIRTY YEARS ACHIEVEMENT

     The Year 1919 saw the opening, by Messes. Auld & Pemberton, of a branch of their high-class tobacco business at 105 Main Street. Early in 1925 they took over the kiosk in Bangor Station. The following November both these enterprises passed into the hands of Mr. Eustace Gordon who determined, if possible, to better the high standard already set. Under his supervision and by careful attention to their wants, the confidence of smokers in Bangor and the surrounding district was soon won. The profits were ploughed back into the business and blossomed into quick-service, display fixtures and interesting additions to the stock.

FIRST NEON SIGN

     The attention given to a good lighting and display was rewarded by winning premier place in the first window-lighting competition, while the first neon sign in the Borough appeared above the window. Indeed the whole lighting system has been dismantled more than once to make way for up-to-date equipment. The latest type of fluorescent light is used in the present interior.

A TRANSFORMATION

     Having established the business on firm foundations, Mr. Gordon next bought the entire premises and, in 1939, a complete reconstruction began. An illuminated, stainless-steel front was installed, the window lit with "daylight" effect, and the interior thoroughly  modernised for the convenience of customers. The work was scarcely finished when was broke out, with all the harassing restrictions that followed. It is safe to say, however, that public demands were fairly met with that courtesy which characterises the house. Although selling nothing but smokers' requirements, what must be a unique booking agency for local entertainments has grown up through the years. This service, carried out without charge, and with booking plans supplied free, is much appreciated by organisers of entertainments and the public alike.

TOWN PLANNING

     Planning is little more than what the Man in the Street thinks should be done about the preservation of existing amenities and what he thinks should be done about proposed acts of spoilation.
     It is now what some expert may say ought to be done, but what the Man in the Street would like to do through his locally elected representatives who will, no doubt, take into consideration the expert's opinions and recommendations.
     Assuredly it will restrict the actions of individuals, but this must be welcomed as it is for the benefit of the community at large.

     A brief analysis of the function of our town shows that Bangor has two main roles:-
(i) As a tourist and holiday centre; and
(ii) as a residential area

     Other functions, such as that of a market town and a commercial centre are subsidiary to the above. In its joint function as a holiday centre, and a residential area, Bangor is to Belfast what Brighton is to London, or Southport to Liverpool. It is a seaside holiday resort within easy reach of a large city and also a dormitory town for the city.

     Any Planning Scheme must provide for these two functions

     In planning for the holiday maker we must provide greater facilities for accommodation, entertainment and recreation. The latter two in conjunction with housing are necessary for the resident.
     Accommodation for tourists must remain a matter for private enterprise, whilst private enterprise and the Council combine to provide entertainment, recreation and housing. Entertainment is dealt with elsewhere in this Brochure.
     Since the end of the war, as an expedient, the Council have been responsible for the erection of 20 aluminium bungalows, the conversion of 74 temporary dwellings and have built 104 houses, while 424 have been erected by private enterprise.
     In addition, 177 are in course of erection and the Housing Trust have started work on a scheme for 290 more.
     Bangor is generously provided with open spaces and it is not intended to extend them.
     A new bowling green has been laid out in Ward Park, two additional tennis courts are to be provided there and seven new playing fields for rugby, soccer and hockey are to be provided in Castle Park, while it is proposed to lay out children's playgrounds in the Clandeboye Road area and at the Ballymaconnell Housing Estate.

TRAFFIC

     It is intended that traffic problems generally should be solved by the widening and improvement of existing roads and the provision of aids, such as roundabouts and one-way streets, to facilitate the flow of traffic.
     Generally the principal roads from the centre of the town radiate like the spokes of a wheel with little or no cross connection, and it is intended that, as development takes place, a continuous road to link up the radial roads will be provided.
     The car parking problem is constantly under consideration and a park is now being constructed in Abbey Street and one has been provided at Luke's Point.
     Car parks have also been laid out in various streets where traffic is not heavy, but this method of solving the problem does not appeal to the abutting house holders, nor does it find favour with the police.
     A solution to the problem must be found in the near future. >

ZONING

     Zoning, which may be defined as the use to which land may be put, has not been forgotten.  The residential areas are sufficient to provide accommodation for a population of 40, 000, which is tentatively considered to be the ultimate limit of development.
     The existing shopping areas, together with the area in the vicinity of Market Square, the existing development of which is undesirable, should be sufficient for public requirements.
     Though Bangor is predominantly residential, it is hoped that light industries may be attracted to the town and an area in the South-West corner of the town has been set apart where those of a suitable type might be erected.

 

SEA-FRONT

     That portion of the Municipal Golf Links lying between the sea and the Railway is to be retained as an open space and the Council have under consideration the following schemes:-

     The construction of a new promenade to Carnalea as a continuation of that in Marine Gardens.

     The provision of shelter accommodation.

     The widening of the Western portion of Queen's Parade.

     The extension of the Esplanade Gardens up to the North Pier.

     The widening of Seacliffe Road, Ballyholme Road, Ballyholme Esplanade, the extension of the latter up to Banks' Lane and the widening of Banks' Lane.

   
McCully & Williams - R. J. Hooke, Rediffusion - H. Cowan   A. & E. Donald - W. & M. Davies - W. Lightbody & Co. - The Central Cafe   Robert Neill & Son Ltd. - Mayflower Dairy
   
George McCartney & Co. Ltd.      James M. Mahood            H. T. Page - Linen Chest - W. J. W. Browne - James Russell & Co.
all photos are watermarked and may not be used for profit, please feel free to share but link back to this site or credit lennonwylie - thank you
BANGOR GAS UNDERTAKING

     It is not unreasonable to assume that the introduction of gas to Bangor was inspired by the Great Exhibition in London one hundred years ago. The fact remains that in 1854, the year which marked the beginning of the Crimea War, the Bangor Gas Light Company was formed. Headed by Mr. Robert Edward Ward of Bangor Castle, Viscount Bangor and Mr. Robert Percival Maxwell, the Company was launched in the Royal Hotel with a capital of £1,750 made up of 350 shares of £5 each.
     On the share register and list of trustees appear many well-known Bangor names. Among these may be mentioned Mr. Hugh Furey, Grocer, Front Street (now Main Street), the founder of the firm of Messrs. Hugh Furey, Ltd.; Mr. Robert Neill, Coal Merchant, Sandy Row (now Queen's Parade); Mr. Robert Bowman, Butcher, Front Street, founder of the business now carried on by Mr. D. Patterson; Mr. Henry Montgomery, Tailor and Clothier, Front Street; and Mr. Daniel Fitzpatrick, Blacksmith, Church Quarter (in the vicinity of the Abbey Church).
     In those far-off days gas was used as a means of illumination only. To-day it is indispensable for a remarkable variety of purposes in every home, school, institution, factory and business establishment. From very modest beginnings has emerged the present Gas Works with a net-work of about sixty miles of mains, supplying gas to the entire Borough and the neighbouring villages of Groomsport, Conlig and Crawfordsburn.
     Almost thirty years after its inception, the Company was acquired, in 1883, by the then Bangor Town Commissioners, under the Chairmanship of the late Mr. John McMeekan, J.P., for the sum of £750. In that year 1,194,700 cubic feet of gas was sold to 121 consumers at 5/- per 1,000 cubic feet. In 1950, 277,966,000 cubic feet were supplied to 6,821 consumers at 5/3d per 1,000 cubic feet.
     In 1904 the turnover was £4,420, against £128,843 last year, when 16,000 tons of coal were carbonized and the sales included 6,600 tons of coke, 280, 000 gallons of tar, 30,000 gallons of benzole and 200 tons of spent oxide.
     The benzole plant, installed during the 1939-1945 War at the request of the Government, helps to reduce the importation of motor spirit. Spent oxide consists of 50 per cent. of sulphur, which is occupying such a prominent place in to-day's news. The Undertaking is, therefore, in a modest way, assisting the nation to overcome its present economic difficulties.
     Figures, however impressive, do not tell the whole story of the Undertaking's phenomenal progress. There is its record of efficient service to the entire community down the years. There has never been an interruption in the supply of a cheap and efficient means of heating and lighting for close on a century.
     The Undertaking has been fortunate in its direction during the past fifty years by successive Committees; each seemingly abler than the last. It owes much to a number of distinguished townsmen who acted as Chairmen of the Committee. >>

Their names are recorded below:
     John McMeekan (January to June, 1883; 1894-98, 1903)
     James Bowman (June, 1883 - October, 1885; March, 1887 - June, 1888; June, 1889 - June, 1894 and 1901)
     Samuel McCormick (October, 1885 - May, 1886)
     Robert Robinson (May - October, 1886)
     John Neill (1888 - 89)
     Daniel McCallum (June - October, 1894)
     Thomas Matthews (1899)
     James M. Thomson (1900)
     James A. Doran (1902)
     Edward Henry (1904 - 07)
     Robert Fegan (1907 - 28)
     Frederick J. Brice (1928 - 31)
     John Neill (1931 - 32)
     Isaac Baxter (1933)
     S. D. Millar (1934 - 37)
     Francis Logan (1937 - 51)
     In will be seen that the late Robert Fegan occupied the chair 22 times. The present Mayor, Alderman Francis Logan, has been chairman for fifteen years. Next comes the last James Bowman (Dr. Bowman's grandfather) with 13 times. Thus, of the sixty-eight years the Undertaking has belonged to the ratepayers, the three gentlemen mentioned have altogether presided over its destinies for fifty of those years.
     The townspeople have every reason to be proud of their Gas Undertaking, which exemplifies municipal enterprise at its best.

,
all photos are watermarked and may not be used for profit, please feel free to share but link back to this site or credit lennonwylie - thank you
DETAILS OF EVENTS IN CIVIC WEEK

     Civic Week will commence at 3 p.m. on Saturday, 30th June, 1951, when Dr. Denis Rebbeck, M.A., B.Litt., M.Sc., J.P., Vice-Chairman of the Northern Ireland Festival of Britain Committee will perform the Opening Ceremony outside the Town Hall. The Major of the Borough (Alderman Francis Logan) will preside.
UNITED YOUTH SERVICE
     A special united youth parade and religious service will be held on Saturday, 30th June. It is hoped that all the uniformed youth organisations will parade and that all young people will join in the Service when the Abbey Youth Choir will lead the praise. The special speaker will be the Rev. A. J. Weir, M.Sc., B.D. Mr. Weir was a well-known Scout in Belfast, and later became Scout-Master of the Cabin Hill Troop, Belfast. The only son of a missionary to China, Mr. Weir went to China in 1944, and after over six years' service he returned to this country a few months ago.
     The organisations will assemble at the South Pier at 3 p.m. and parade through the town. The salute will be taken at the Town Hall by Dr. Denis Rebbeck and the service will commence in the Castle Park at 4 o'clock.
SEA ANGLERS' COMPETITION
     Bangor Sea Angler's Club have organised an Open Rowing Boat Fishing Competition to take place at 7 p.m. on Saturday, 30th June. Prizes to the value of £7 will be awarded and the Entrance Fee is 2/6d. which is payable on the evening of the Competition. Mr. D Irons, 45a Beatrice Road, is Honorary Secretary of the Club.
CIVIC SUNDAY
     Sunday, 1st July, will be observed as Civic Sunday at all Churches in the Borough and appropriate services will be held in each.
     The Mayor, Aldermen, Councillors and Senior Officers of the Council will attend as a body at Morning Service in First Bangor Presbyterian Church. In the afternoon at 3 o'clock the British Legion will hold their Annual Somme Anniversary Drumhead Service at the War Memorial, Ward Park.
EXHIBITIONS
     Bangor Arts Committee, under the chairmanship of Mr. James Jenkins, have organised four Exhibitions which will be open to the public after the Official Opening Ceremony on Saturday afternoon and during the remainder of Civic Week from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on week-days.
     There will be no admission charge, but Catalogues will be sold at Sixpence per copy.
PAINTINGS
     An Exhibition of Paintings loaned by Bangor Residents will be held in the Minor Hall of the Guild Hall, Main Street, when it is expected that some fifty or sixty Paintings by Masters will be displayed.
     It is known that many fine paintings are owned by Bangorians, and Festival Year presents a splendid opportunity for bringing these together under one roof where all may enjoy them.
     The Sub-Committee responsible for this Exhibition is composed of Messrs. Ivor Beaumont, Thomas Drummond, R. J. Woods and R. McC. Smyth, who wish to express their thanks and appreciation to those who have made this Exhibition possible by lending pictures.
ARTS AND CRAFTS
     The Exhibition of Arts and Crafts, which is to be presented in Hamilton House, Hamilton Road, has attracted over 250 entries.
     The range of exhibits includes:- Oil and Water Colour Paintings, Drawings, Posters, Stained Glass Designs, Block Prints, Leather Craft, Book-binding, Lettering, Toys, Lamp Shades, Basket Work, Metal Work, Models and Needlework.
     The purpose of the Exhibition is to demonstrate to the public the standard of work in art and craftsmanship achieved by residents during their leisure.
     The Sub-Committee responsible for the Exhibition consist of:- Mrs. Cecil Scott, B.A.; the Misses Austin and Scott (Collegiate School), Miss Whitsitt (Glenlola), Miss Addy (Grammar School), Misses Arnold and Kirkpatrick (Technical), Miss Amy Oliver and Mt. Thomas Crawley.
PHOTOGRAPHS OF OLD BANGOR
     This Exhibition, which will be held in the Gymnasium, Hamilton Road, will consist of more than fifty photographs of Old Bangor, going back in some cases almost 100 years. The development of the Borough during this period is remarkable although many old landmarks still remain.
     The photographs are of particular interest and will be the source of much comment and speculation.
     Messrs. R. Lawson, S. Orr and W. Welch, of the Photographic Section of the Civil Defence Club who are responsible for the reproductions and general arrangements, deserve the thanks of everyone for the time and skill they have devoted to this Exhibition.
     Thanks are also due to the Misses Savage and Mr. W. McCready who loaned the original photographs and negatives and granted permission to reproduce.
     The collection, when the Exhibition closes, will be carefully preserved as a permanent record of Old Bangor.
EXHIBITION OF POSTAGE STAMPS
     It is hard to believe that, with thousands of collectors in Northern Ireland, this is the first public Exhibition of Stamps to be staged in the Province.
     The Bangor and District Philatelic Society showed commendable enterprise, therefore, in accepting the invitation of the Arts Committee to organise this Exhibition.
     The exhibits, which have been selected from members' collections, will cover all phases of postal history from early days before adhesive postage stamps were introduced on 4th May, 1840, to the latest issues, include Great Britain and Colonies, Foreign, Air Mail Stamps, First Flight Covers from the World's Air Routes, Errors and Varieties, Thematic and General Collecting.
     Members of the Bangor and District Philatelic Society will be in attendance, and will be glad to discuss stamp collecting. which has been described by President Roosevelt of the U.S.A. as "the King of Hobbies, and the Hobby of Kings."
     The Sub-Committee in charge of the arrangements for the Exhibition consists of Messrs. R. S. Hazlett, George Irwin and James C. Nevin.
BANDS
     The Royal Ulster Constabulary Band, which will give six concerts during Civic Week, is undoubtedly the finest combination in the Province, equalling the best Military Bands.
     The Cleland Memorial Pipe Band has made great strides during the past few years in discipline and performance, and now, with new uniforms, compares favourably with the best Pipe Bands in Ulster. It has been engaged for three performances during Civic Week.
     The Major Pipe Band (Irish Pipes) is also to be congratulated upon the advance which it has made in recent years. The uniforms are new and colourful, and the standard of performances excellent. This Band will perform on two occasions only, as they leave for Scotland during Civic Week.
     The members of the two Bangor Pipe Bands are keen and enthusiastic, and will achieve even greater success in the future.
     Agnes Street (Belfast) Temperance and Laganvale Silver Bands, each of which will give two performances during Civic Week, are two of the finest amateur combinations in the Province.

CHILDREN'S SPORTS
     A Sports Meeting for children of the Borough will be held at Clandeboye Park on Monday, 2nd July, commencing at 2 p.m.
     A programme of 39 events has been arranged to meet the requirements of all age groups from under 6 years to 16 years. Festival of Britain 1951 Commemoration Medals and Book Tokens will be awarded to winning competitors in each event.
     Admission if free. The Committee responsible for organising the meeting is composed of :- The Misses E. A. McClure, E. Craig, M. Crooks and Messrs. G. Heuston, G. McCormick, L. Watters, H. V. Gar and Captain J. M. Affleck.
ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL
     Bangor Summer League have arranged three attractive evening matches in Ward Park commencing with their Charity Cup Final on Monday, 2nd July, then on Thursday evening selected elevens from Sections A. and B of the League will meet. Friday evening's programme takes the form of a local Derby - Bangor versus Donaghadee. All matches commence at 7.30 p.m. and admission is free.
HOCKEY
     The Ulster Branch of the Irish Hockey Union have selected two strong sides to play an Exhibition Match in Ward Park at 7.30 p.m. on Tuesday evening, 3rd July. Seven international and ten inter-provincial players have accepted invitations to take part.
CHILDREN'S SWIMMING GALA
     The Bangor Swimming Club, at the request of the Borough Council, are organising a Children's Swimming Gala at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, 4th July, when there will be races for boys and girls of all ages. Entry forms can be obtained at Pickie Pool. The prizes have been donated by the Borough Council.
OPEN SEA SWIMMING RACE
     The "Belfast News-Letter" Trophy was originally presented to Bangor Amateur Swimming Club for a ladies' Whitehead-to-Bangor swim. After the era of the brown and Jamison sisters, so few entries were received, owing to the strenuous nature of the swim, that Bangor A.S.C. obtained the donors' permission to change the character of the race in 1945.
     The Trophy race, which has been revived after a lapse of a few years, as a Festival attraction, as now a men's 1¼-mile open-sea handicap. This year the swim will be held at 7.30 p.m. on Saturday, 7th July, over a course from Smelt Mill Bay, Carnalea, to Pickie Pool. It will be possible for spectators to follow the race from start to finish from the Marine Gardens.
"FESTIVAL OF SPORT"
     The Central Council of Physical Recreation has arranged for a Show entitled "Festival of Sport" to visit Ward Park, Bangor, at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, 4th July.
     The Show will last for two hours and will be of the non-stop type, with approximately sixty-five men and women taking part.
     Items will include :- Archery, Rhythmic Movement, Skipping, European National Dancing presented by the Women's Festival Team, Irish Folk Dancing by Miss Mulholland's Team and Teams of Girl Guides and Apparatus Gymnastics presented by the Select Team of Ulster Amateur Gymnastics Association. Other activities include Fencing with foil epee and sabre by members of the Belfast Fencing Club.
     Perhaps the highlight of the Show will be an item entitles "Focus on Football" in which Jack Vernon, Isaac McDowell, Eric Trevorrow, Kevin McGarry and Bertie Fulton will appear.
     A small orchestra will accompany the "Festival of Sport" and the inimitable Miss Mulholland will be there with her violin.
     The venue of this attractive medley of sport is the Ward Park Tennis Courts. Admission is free but those occupying seats will be charged 6d. and children 3d.
BOWLS
     Bangor's third Municipal Bowling Green in Ward Park will be officially opened at 7 p.m. on Thursday, 5th July, and the Ceremony will be followed by a friendly game in which rinks from all Bangor Clubs (including the ladies from Pickie and Ward Park Clubs), the I.B.A., N.I.B.A., the I.W.B.A. and the Bangor Borough Council will take part.
TENNIS
     The Ulster Branch of the I.L.T.A. will stage County Championship Matches on the Ward Park Tennis Courts when Belfast, County Down and County Antrim selected players will meet.
     At the time of going to Press the actual hours of play have not been decided, but it is anticipated that there will be play on Friday 6th July, from 4.30 p.m., and on Saturday, 7th July, from 3 p.m. Admission is free.
FIRE-FIGHTING DISPLAY
     The National Fire Service will give a display of modern fire-fighting and rescue methods at the esplanade. Some spectacular work at a great height is promised, as well as London Drill and the more routine work of fire-fighting. The Display, which will last one hour, will commence at 8 p.m. on Friday, 6th July, and there will be a running commentary with Public Address Equipment.
AL FRESCO ENTERTAINMENT
     Following the Display by the N.F.S. on Friday evening the scene of operations will be transferred to the Marine Gardens, outside Pickie Pool, where a typical Seaside Entertainment will be staged.
     There will be a Band to provide music for out-door dancing, Irish Dancing by the Cadet Team of the Bangor Branch of the British Red Cross Society, vocalists, a local Talent Competition with a £5 prize for the winner, and selections by the Cleland Memorial Pipe Band. Admission is free but Sixpence will be charged for the use of deck chairs.
BANGOR HORSE AND CATTLE SHOW AND GYMKHANA
     This Event, organised by the Bangor Branch of the Ulster Farmers' Union, is affiliated with the North of Ireland Shop Jumping and Riding Association.
     This is the Ninth Annual Show to be held in Castle Park and the event has become one of the most popular in the North of Ireland. It is supported by exhibitors throughout the Six Counties, and Ulster champions are generally to be seen in action.
     The forenoon of Saturday, 7th July, 1951, will be devoted to judging agricultural horses and dairy cattle. The afternoon (from about 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock) will be given up entirely to twelve jumping events which should provide really splendid entertainment for young and old. Admission charges are 2/6d. and 1/- (children).

<<HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY'S FIRST DAFFODIL SHOW 1951
  From left: The Marchioness Dowager of Londonderry, the Mayoress (Mrs. Logan), Mrs. W. H. Allen, The Mayor (Alderman F. Logan), and Mr. W. J. Bailie, J.P. (President)


McCutcheon & McConaghie - Samuel Mahood Ltd. - Wm. Simon & Co. Ltd. - Balmers Chemists
Andrews Shoe Service (Gaskin) - George Matthews - Milan Cafe - Thomas Henderson
all photos are watermarked and may not be used for profit, please feel free to share but link back to this site or credit lennonwylie - thank you

Ward Park Trees
all photos are watermarked and may not be used for profit, please feel free to share but link back to this site or credit lennonwylie - thank you
THE OLD WATCH TOWER
by E. M. Jope
(Lecturer in Archaeology at Queen's University, Belfast)

     The Tower and House on the Waterfront at Bangor is a good example of early 17th Century construction, and was apparently built by Lord Clandeboye as a Custom House. It was still under construction in 1637 (Clandeboye records). Both as a dateable building, and as one of the ancient public buildings of Ulster, ranking with the Tower House at Strangford (Strangford Castle, late 16th Century), as one of the few slender material remains upon which to reconstruct the life and appearance of Ulster towns three centuries ago (and also the connection with maritime trade), it is of the utmost importance that this building should be preserved.
     The exterior is well preserved, the most prominent feature being a tower, D-shaped in plan, with a round staircase projection in the re-entrant angle on the S.E. The tower is joined directly to a contemporary gable of an associated house, preserving its original crow-stepping, constructed of fine sandstone blocks. The present house to the West of the Tower (now Hot Sea Water Baths) probably contains a certain amount of 17th Century work, especially at the back, where the back wall joined to the crow-stepped gable seems largely original.
     The Tower is constructed of split stone rubble, and retains its sand-stone dressings, with rectangular windows with a simple roll-mould on jambs and hoods. The interior, unfortunately, seems to have lost most of its features and the original staircase has been removed and replaced by ladders. The structure is generally in good condition, but several of the original windows have been blocked with bricks and should be unblocked.


FACTS ABOUT BANGOR

POPULATION
The present population is estimated at 22,000. Seventy years ago the population was 3,002.
AREA
The total area of Bangor is 2,389 acres, of which 340 acres, or one-seventh, is laid out in parks and open spaces. On an average there are three houses or nine persons to the acre.
VALUATION
The Poor Law Valuation of the Borough at 1st April, 1951, was £198,421. The average increase in valuation has been at the rate of £5,000 per annum over the last five years, but existing building development schemes will considerably exceed this average. There are 7,133 Rated Properties in the Borough, or an average of £28 each.
MUNICIPAL FINANCE
The Rates for the year 1951/52 are 15/6 in the £, or roughly £7 per person per year. Sanctioned loans at 31st March, 1951, totalled £1,218,690, of which £909,055 had been borrowed. The net capital debt at that date, after deducting all redemption funds, was £526,757, or £24 per head of the population.


BANGOR LIBRARY

     Nearly fifty years ago Bangor Council decided they would acquire powers, under the Library Acts, to act as a Library Authority. At that time the Technical School was housed in premises in High Street which were found to be too small to cope with the rapidly growing demand for Technical Education, so it was decided to house the two services in a new building in Hamilton Road, which was opened in 1910.
     The late Andrew Carnegie marked his approval in a very practical way by paying the library's share of the capital cost of the building.
     To-day the library compares favourably with those found in towns of the same size in the United Kingdom. It contains more than 20,000 volumes, nearly 11,000 of which are non-fiction. There are representatives reference and juvenile sections. The annual circulation is nearly an eighth of a mission volumes.
     The facilities of the lending library are available to visitors who are given a ticket valid for fourteen days on production of a reader's ticket issued by the Public Library in the district in which they reside, or on completion of a guarantee counter-signed by a local ratepayer.
     The Reading Room, in which can be found the leading British and Irish newspapers, and the better-known weekly and monthly magazines, is open to the public, without charge.

           
YACHTING IN BANGOR
Royal Ulster Yacht Club

"Ballyholme Bay" Class Start - R.U.Y.C. Regatta 1949
all photos are watermarked and may not be used for profit, please feel free to share but link back to this site or credit lennonwylie - thank you